any issues with a 2006 2500HD 6.0L V8 4x4?

navigator

Original poster
Dec 3, 2011
Hi folks, I'm looking at a 2006 2500HD 6.0L 4x4.
I've been needing a pickup for some time and found a fleet model for a decent price.
I'm curious, outside of checking for trouble codes, fluids, coolant, leaks, squeaks, making sure the 4wd engages etc is there anything else I should check on this model? Any issues other than having to fill up every time I see a gas station?

I did some searching for issues with the 2006 2500HD and couldn't find anything. This particular model appears to have good reviews all around.

I work from home and don't put a lot of miles on a truck. I hunt and fish a good bit and I'd like to eventually get a slide in camper to go in the back and know the 2500 will have the suspension to handle that as well as pull anything I hook to it.

thanks in advance for your help.
Chris

SAVE! 2006 CHEVY SILVERADO 2500 LS EXTENDED CAB 4 DOOR 4X4 TRUCK

bigytwotone

Dec 7, 2011
Dawson creek BC Canada
They are great trucks look for drivers side front hub and exhaust noise these trucks have had issues with the hub and the exhaust manifold cracking or leaking gasket others then that look as you would on any other truck good luck and let us know :smile:

navigator

Original poster
Dec 3, 2011
bigytwotone said:
They are great trucks look for drivers side front hub and exhaust noise these trucks have had issues with the hub and the exhaust manifold cracking or leaking gasket others then that look as you would on any other truck good luck and let us know :smile:
When you say hub, do you mean the wheel bearing in the hub?
With the exhaust manifold crack will that throw a code or will I just have to listen for it?

bigytwotone

Dec 7, 2011
Dawson creek BC Canada
navigator said:
When you say hub, do you mean the wheel bearing in the hub?
With the exhaust manifold crack will that throw a code or will I just have to listen for it?

Yes the bearing and the crack it could but listin for it it will sound like a loud tick. Almost like a bad rocker and will be very loud in the engine compartment.

navigator

Original poster
Dec 3, 2011
bigytwotone said:
Yes the bearing and the crack it could but listin for it it will sound like a loud tick. Almost like a bad rocker and will be very loud in the engine compartment.
ok, thanks for the info!

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
These are great trucks. The 6.0 does a great job all around. Solid investment for your needs it sounds like.

jrSS

Dec 4, 2011
Look at the exhaust manifold bolts. Look for any broken ones...that ll cause a tick at initial startup.

navigator

Original poster
Dec 3, 2011
jrSS said:
Look at the exhaust manifold bolts. Look for any broken ones...that ll cause a tick at initial startup.

ok, thanks everyone for the comments.

Decado

Sep 16, 2013
We have a 2008 2500HD at our farm and I absolutely love that truck. It'll do any job you throw at it without an issue. It eats through gas like crazy, but you already mentioned that and anyone shopping for a truck must already have come to terms with that.

The only problem we have had with our 2500 is there was a problem with the power door lock actuator where it wouldn't engage fully but the computer kept trying to engage it, so it would drain the battery in 12-24 hours of sitting idle. Replacing the actuator fixed the problem entirely, but it was a bitch finding out where the problem was because I was searching for a short in the system.

navigator

Original poster
Dec 3, 2011
Decado said:
We have a 2008 2500HD at our farm and I absolutely love that truck. It'll do any job you throw at it without an issue. It eats through gas like crazy, but you already mentioned that and anyone shopping for a truck must already have come to terms with that.

The only problem we have had with our 2500 is there was a problem with the power door lock actuator where it wouldn't engage fully but the computer kept trying to engage it, so it would drain the battery in 12-24 hours of sitting idle. Replacing the actuator fixed the problem entirely, but it was a bitch finding out where the problem was because I was searching for a short in the system.

ok, thanks for the info. This one is listed as an LS but I think it is a WT. It has hand crank windows, vinyl floors and I expect manual locks. The only thing I think I will miss is cruise, I do one 320 mile trip per month mostly interstate so I know that driving that without cruise won't be so fun. I might have to borrow the wife's Suburban for that trip.

navigator

Original poster
Dec 3, 2011
BTW, I posted this on silveradoforums (in the 2500 section) 2 days ago and got 0 responses.
Thanks for all the feedback.
I mentioned that I received some great feedback here and posted a few nuggets there for any helpless traveler in the future.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online