Any diesel owners here?

outlaw

Original poster
Dec 27, 2011
Long story short.
Was looking to get a 1500 Pickup(sierra or silverado). After seeing prices, diesel was not too far out of reach. I brought up about looking at burbs again but the wife shot it down. We took an 04 F250 for a test drive yesterday and I am hooked. I want a diesel now!

I've ridden in them plenty but something different about it being yours. And who can forget the sound and power that comes with it.

I've been told to look for the GM's with the 8th VIN digit being a D. Is there anything specific that I should be looking for? Example- I noticed what looked like oil seepage through the intercooler couplers from the turbo. Looking it up, it is common with the fords and related the CCV with a mod to "correct" it.

Overall, just looking for any input on what I can check while looking at these trucks. Gassers too, if we find a good deal.

Thanks,
Outlaw

signalnc

Dec 28, 2012
I can tell you don't buy a Ford with the 6.0......and not sure about the Chevy's but it seems the repairs for the Ford 6.0 is expensive compared to a gasoline vehicle. I've been driving an '06 F550 since it was new. It is a work vehicle, but I am the only driver and I take care of it like it's my own. Luckily I don't pay for repairs.

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
Dad's got a 2500hd with the 6.0l and it's an animal... but my uncle has a 3500 dually with the duramax and all he's done is oil and fuel filters. 150k and no real problems on either. I would guess it's the 6.6 duramax? Pretty solid in my expirence but I don't know what's what with the 1500s.

c good

Dec 8, 2011
Avoid the Ford PoweStroke 6.0 Liter Diesel at all costs. These engines had a lot of problems. Coolant problems clogging up oil coolers, EGR coolers cracking, injectors and glow plug problems. So many problems that Ford lost a class action lawsuits and has numerous recalls on it. Run Away! HTH c good

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Do not buy a powerjoke.

If you want the best diesel buy a Ram, but you wont get as good as overall truck as the GM with a Duramax. Have to remember that good engine comes with a shitty dodge.

I would take a Duramax with the Allison trans in a heartbeat, but I cant justify a diesel. One would need to tow a lot for it to make sense over the newer gassers. The 6.0L gas GM is a beast in the bigger trucks and more than most people need really

Yomamma0103

Aug 30, 2013
The ford 6.0 is a good motor...if and only if you get all the deletes and head work done. Cost ya in the ballpark of 5k!

You will be hard pressed to find a better truck/motor combo than the GM with the dirty. IMO you want to find a 04.5 or newer truck. That gives you the LLY or LBZ motor. Some would call the LBZ the "hot rod motor". Prior to this they had lots of issues with injectors, guess what, they are inside the valve cover...Not an easy job.

The 8th digit tells you what motor it is. The 04.5-06 is a 2=LLY
Then in 06, another split year. Late 06-07 is a D=LBZ

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
I would get a diesel if I towed alot, especially in the hills and if I was after a 5th wheel setup. Otherwise I would look at a Tundra also...those trucks have some ballz.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
The price of a used Toyota is ridiculous.

Reactions: stickypoop

outlaw

Original poster
Dec 27, 2011
Thanks for all the replies! I obviously forgot I posted here. Didn't mean to post and run.

Since the post, we haven't test drove anything. After seeing a $400/mo payment on the F250, we decided to "test drive" the payment plan first and pay down some bills.

Long term, my goal would be to have a fifth wheel. Whatever truck we get is going to be it until it dies so I'd like to get the best overall, a 6.0 gasser isn't out but after hearing what mpg my friend gets with his 06 duramax and tuner. It makes it hard not to want one. He said after a few tank fulls, he's averaging 23mpg... what?! That is almost what I get in my 1.8T jetta and the only thing it can pull is me and 4 passengers if we squeeze!

6.0's are out strictly from a maintenance option. With potential problems and not knowing what the prev. owner did or didn't do is kinda scary. I do like how roomy they are though.. maybe have to look for one if we can get a warranty with it.

6.6 would be awesome just because they are shown to be stable.

5.9 would be cool just because I am a dodge fan. We've found a couple of them, but waaayy to pricey. Same to the Toyota's, wtf is up with that!? lol

Thanks for the vin digits to be on the lookout for.

Outlaw

Blackwater

Aug 14, 2015
Lawton, OK
You have to compare them differently. the gasoline engines wear out faster than diesels. 100K miles on a gas is well broken in while its scratching the surface on a diesel. Also diesel engines tend to out last anything on the truck. Late model used gas is good but a diesel that is lets say for example a early 2000's is good as well. but the body and the creature comforts isn't as good as the late models. My best advice is if you plan on towing more than half the time then get a diesel. if not the 6.0/6.2L (depending on model) would be a better option. That is my $.10.

Reactions: HARDTRAILZ

outlaw

Original poster
Dec 27, 2011
Thanks.. All the cents that can be given are greatly appreciated.

We almost closed a deal on an 08 F350 (with 6.4 and 118K miles) for 16k but payment plan was out of reach for us.

One of the main reasons for getting a real truck again is for hauling. While it may not be used on a daily weekly bases for hauling, it's primary reason for being in our fleet is hauling.

Also, we may be getting THIS which will at least require a pickemup truck at least. Per NADA, the trailer weighs 8,000lbs. I'm going to assume on side of safefty that it is curb weight. We would need a 2500/250 or better for this.

Sep 20, 2015
Western Mass.
I would almost recommend an older Ford F-Series with a 7.3. The 7.3 (International T444E) Engine is probably one of the best diesels on the planet. Period. The 7.3 was only available up until the 2003.5 model year, so some 03's will have the 6.0, the others will have the 7.3.

Best luck.

outlaw

Original poster
Dec 27, 2011
Thanks. That makes a lot of sense about the 1/2yr. I was reading about it and it was popping up in searches. I would get exited reading about it, then see 6.0.. boo lol. My friend is still pushing towards a duramax. Just a little hard to find in our price point that isn't 4+ hrs away.

outlaw

Original poster
Dec 27, 2011
Well.. we are the owner of a 5th wheel now. One problem, we don't own anything to tow it yet. On to the towing section

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MEHMET ONUR

Members Online