Another Dex Cool Question. Did I mess up?

c good

Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
I've got 180 K miles on my 4.2 Envoy. Four years ago (at 175 K miles) I did a coolant drain and fill. I Put in Prestone Dex Cool compatible concentrate mixed with 50 percent distilled water. Now I'm reading there were problems with Dex Cool. Should I drain, flush, and refill with something different?

Last edited:

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
What problems? Are you having them too since your flush and fill? Where did you hear of these issues?

Dec 5, 2011
Central Pennsylvania
Supposedly dex-cool had 2 basic "problems". Air infiltrating into the coolant system would cause the coolant to be increasingly acidic... eating away at pretty much everything from the inside out - solution: keep the coolant system full - which is what we usually do.
The other problem was an interaction with sealants used in early "plastic intake" design cars - this was very early on - if you're driving a GMT360 you should be fine. Keep the coolant full and drive it.

c good

Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
I'm currently not having any troubles. Nor have I in the past. I change the coolant every 5 years or so. I just saw some mention of problems as mentioned above and mixing it with anything other than distilled water. I figure if the Envoy has 180k miles with no major troubles, Dex Cool probably isn't a problem.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I think that whole thing with air was an issue in the early days of Dexcool. I remember it would crystalize. The biggest problem is mixing it with the regular green stuff. Turns it into goo. I don't even trust those "universal" colourless coolants.

Sounds like you did everything right. I wouldn't worry.

Reactions: Wooluf1952

Mektek

May 2, 2017
FL
It was known to cause sludge that blocked coolant passages. There was a class action lawsuit because of the large number of engines destroyed.
Supposedly dexcool has been improved, but I still don't trust it. I only use the green stuff and there are several brands that claim it lasts just as long as dexcool.

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
OP: You're fine. If you mix orange & green coolant together, that's when the problems begin.
Dexcool uses Organic Acid Technology (OAT). The green is generally ethylene glycol-based.
When the two are mixed, a gel forms, and that clogs up the coolant system.

Your engine can run one or the other, but not both.

I use Dexcool in my GM vehicles. When I travel far from home (towing, camping), I always make sure I have extra coolant.
If you ever get into an emergency situation, and need to add... use water if no Dexcool is available. Preferably distilled, but if it's a choice between sewer water and a different coolant... I'd use the sewer water. No joke!

Can you switch? Yes, but you have to remove *all* the old, and flush thoroughly with water, before introducing the new. Reason to switch? For me, it would be potential scarcity of Dexcool. But outside of that, I'm fine with the Dex -- it costs no more, and lasts as long.

As far as change interval... the factory fill is good for 150,000 miles, per GM. However, once it's removed, the interval becomes more time-based, and you generally see 3 years specified (for most vehicles, not just the ones using Dex). If you do a straight drain / refill at that interval, you'll likely never have a problem with your cooling system, and you'll never need to worry about disturbing the 50/50 balance.

Might it last longer than 3 years? Probably, to tell the truth. But two bottles of coolant, and 2 gallons of distilled water is pretty cheap, at 3 year intervals. That also gives you a good opportunity to change out wear components like hoses, etc., as needed / warranted.

Signs to look for to know when it's time to R&R...
- Good coolant will leave a very slightly oily or greasy or 'slick' residue on your fingers. That indicates lubricity in the system and keeps things like the water pump in good shape.

- As coolant loses it's protective capabilities as an anti-corrosive, you may see coolant get a brownish tinge as it gets older. The brown is corrosion. If there's one thing I don't like about Dex... it's that it can be hard to tell if it's starting to get brown, as it ages. A yellowed coolant reserve / recovery bottle doesn't help, here, either.

If you have either of the two conditions above, don't just drain / refill. A flush is needed, at that point.

And then there's the universal coolants, the clears, the yellows, etc.
I would not mix these, even though that's their selling point (like someone with type 'O' blood). I suppose they 'work'... but will they work as well as the coolant you generally run? No, because anything that's 'universal' is going to have tradeoffs.
The only 'universal' coolant, in my book... is water.

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
@c good Your 4.2 came from the factory with Dexcool. If you performed a drain and fill again with Dexcool you should be fine.

I've had Dexcool in mine for 19 years and over 300K miles, no issues. Many here have the same results.

aaserv

Dec 1, 2019
N of Baton Rouge, La.
It was designed to use Dexcool, Id never put a drop of anything else in it. Coolant does a lot more than just regulate temps. The seals and bearings in the water pump were designed to be lubricated by Dexcool. Switching to anything else is a mistake 100% IMWO......

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
Last I checked with prestone, their dexcool formula and their 100k 5year (whatever it was/is) green used the same chemical blend. Perfectly compatible. Hell I did it just to see what would happen on a car and it's been like that for 4 years and the coolant system drained clean. Go figure.

BrianF

Jul 24, 2013
West central Sask.
As already said, it was the early dexcool and its use. Keep the system topped up and don't mix. Easy as that. 15 years owning my Trailblazer and have done two coolant changes. Once with dealer bought dexcool and the later with one of the name brand compatible ripoffs. No issues.

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
and it's been like that for 4 years and the coolant system drained clean. Go figure.
Well... far from me to argue... but while it *drained* clean... was anything left behind? That would be the question. And the only way to *really* answer that, IMHO, would be to disassemble the engine, scope the rad, etc.

That said... I don't doubt you that everything's OK -- in your truck (and hopefully, everyone's) :thumbsup:

Reactions: littleblazer

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
Well... far from me to argue... but while it *drained* clean... was anything left behind? That would be the question. And the only way to *really* answer that, IMHO, would be to disassemble the engine, scope the rad, etc.

That said... I don't doubt you that everything's OK -- in your truck (and hopefully, everyone's) :thumbsup:
It's the old style rads that still had the caps on the end tank. So far as I can see it was clean aside from the normal fouling layer of rust from the iron block.

Mixing a coolant like Evans green antifreeze (or whatever they call it) will make a mess as that is the standard old style green antifreeze. :yes: Probably should've clarified a bit.

For the most part if it says all makes and models it'll be fine. Any extended drain coolant will have more or less the same "stuff" in it. The easiest solution is however to stick with whatever is in it. They're all fine now imo.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chirobo1

Members Online

No members online now.