Another Bilstein question...bare with me

RedRocketZ28

Original poster
May 16, 2014
So I am wanting to change out the 105k mile stock shocks on my Rainier. I was wanting to go with the Bilsteins all around but I cannot find the rears in stock anywhere. I have emailed some vendors and they say they are not in stock and are waiting on them from Bilstein. With that being said, I know the air suspension setup like I have calls for a specific shock. What are the differences and is there any reason I couldn't just use the Bilsteins made for the GMT360's without air suspension? I also am just contemplating on going with Bilstein struts and Monroe Reflex out back since I can find the Monroes in stock. Also found a thread where another member has this exact setup and has no complaints.

Not wanting to switch out the airbags as they are still working great and it's nice to have the level come back up when towing our boat and the occasional car on a trailer.

Any input and help is greatly appreciated.

RedRocketZ28

Original poster
May 16, 2014
kickass audio said:
we all mostly go to shockwarehouse.com. That's where I bought my rears and fronts from.
Yeah that's what I've noticed. However, Summit Racing, Amazon, and a couple of other places are all out of stock. Summit told me that they are waiting on Bilstein to send more, so it's unlikely that ShockWareHouse has any either, but I will check with them. Also, I have found them cheaper than what they advertise at ShockWareHouse.

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
Here's some. Amazon.com

Edit: Those are for the regular suspension... I don't see why you can't use them, unless the air ride is like that on the full size where it charges the shocks. The monroes on the back, most don' seem to like them. I don't know though.

RedRocketZ28

Original poster
May 16, 2014
Yeah, I wish I knew the difference for sure. I read that the valving is different. I just found the fronts for $60 a piece so I ordered them. Waiting to hear back from a couple more places on the rears. Ideally I'd like to have Bilsteins all around but don't want to wait 8-12 weeks for them, although I suppose I could.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
My Saab is actually the other way around. I had air bags and now have springs. The shocks look original (black Bilsteins) and seem to be OK with the springs. Find it's a bit stiffer than my 02 EXT with new Bilsteins for springs. I actually find the EXT bouncy in the rear but it's like comparing apples to oranges between the two. I don't think that there are any other differences than the valving.

I think bags are bouncier than springs so the shocks may be stiffer but don't quote me on that.

greggraves

Mar 30, 2014
Bilsteins do a good job for normal driving, but are inadequate for towing heavy loads to control the bouncing that seems to occur on bridges and concrete interstates. I have weight distributing hitch and anti-sway, but I need something with more stiffness than the Bilsteins provided (which by the way are worn out). Are KYB gasajust a stiffer alternative? Other?

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
Bilstein HD is a better shock than the basic Bilsteins that came on the 360s

RedRocketZ28

Original poster
May 16, 2014
So I am still contemplating on what to do for my setup. The Bilstein's for the rear air suspension are on backorder and I would like to get everything changed fairly soon. I am debating on whether or not to go with changing the bags out for springs now, or waiting until something happens with the bags. I know it's a matter of time before the bags start leaking. I know the bags seems to give it a bit better ride but I am not concerned with that at all. I am sure it would also level out the truck in the rear where as now it leans to the passenger side a bit and I don't feel like messing with the leveler for days trying to make it right.

Kind of sounds like I have talked myself into switching to springs, ha.

Tiggerr

Jun 6, 2013
Perrysburg, OH
RedRocketZ28 said:
So I am still contemplating on what to do for my setup. The Bilstein's for the rear air suspension are on backorder and I would like to get everything changed fairly soon. I am debating on whether or not to go with changing the bags out for springs now, or waiting until something happens with the bags. I know it's a matter of time before the bags start leaking. I know the bags seems to give it a bit better ride but I am not concerned with that at all. I am sure it would also level out the truck in the rear where as now it leans to the passenger side a bit and I don't feel like messing with the leveler for days trying to make it right.

Kind of sounds like I have talked myself into switching to springs, ha.
If you do swap springs for bags, do NOT buy one Of those overpriced "kits". Just get a set of moog springs for non air ride.

Also it will sit higher in the back with springs. Won't sit level anymore. Just FYI.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Just a little. Mine has a 1" rake. I think that's normal as it will go down when loaded with people and will be more level.

But you are right. They WILL fail, sooner or later. Either the bags leak, the lines break or the compressor fails.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Firebaugh86

Members Online