Another a/m installation harness question thread

PProph

Original poster
Dec 7, 2011
Been awhile, my poor 03 is pushing it's later life (closing on 300000km and a large jump in backroad driving these past few years) and we're in the market for a new vehicle, but in the meantime I'd like to put an aftermarket HU in this thing. I've had a unit for years (Single DIN) I've just kept putting it off because of the idea of spending extra money on the harness.

Finally looked in my glovebox, and going by the RPO codes I have:

UC6 - AM/FM Radio, RDS, 6-Disc Changer, Auto Tone Control, and ETR
UE1 - Onstar Communications System (Includes 1 Year Safe & Sound Plan)
UG1 - Homelink
UJ6 - Tire Pressure Monitor
UK6 - Radio Controls RR ST & Earphone
UPC - Travel Note

I've never used the On-Star, I do use the steering wheel controls but don't need to, I just don't want to lose the rest of my console information (mileage, oil life, etc). The question is what do I need to install this thing? I do listen to music loud on occasion but I'm not going to be pimping my ride, so I don't know that I have to worry about drawing too much voltage.

This is the HU: http://www.us.jvc.com/archive/car/indashreceivers/kd_r875bts/

I plan to continue using the factory speakers. The only reason for the change is the fact the CD player mostly doesn't play CDs anymore unless they're pristine, and I want the auxillary/USB/BT connectivity.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Most of the affordable aftermarket HU harnesses will only retain radio input functions, so you'd lose the radio control buttons on the steering wheel unless you purchase a separate steering wheel control module. The DIC buttons don't run through the radio at all, so those would still function normally. Do you use the rear seat controls, or not? That's the only other consideration, those other items don't run through the radio.

Reactions: PProph

PProph

Original poster
Dec 7, 2011
Thanks for the clarification, when you say rear seat controls are you referring to the secondary back seat radio? I rarely if ever have anyone in the back seat of this thing so I don't really use anything back there.

So what you're saying is I could go with the basic GM harness (I'd have to splice in my accessory as I've researched) and all I would lose is the radio control buttons on the steering wheel (given that I don't use the OnStar) and perhaps the chimes (I've seen people say they still have those and others say they don't)?

Would this do the trick?

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Yep, that should do the trick to get your radio functional.

Some of the more expensive units will either have a chime feature built in, or come with a separate chime module. My PAC unit had a separate chime box.

Reactions: PProph and mrrsm

PProph

Original poster
Dec 7, 2011
Whelp, gonna pull the trigger on it later tonight and give it a whirl. At $10 bucks if it doesn't work I'm not going to be heartbroken.

Reactions: Blckshdw

PProph

Original poster
Dec 7, 2011
I don't, thanks for the heads up though.

Update, I'm finally getting around to this. Looking at the wiring going into the 2 harnesses though (the TB and the adapter) it sure doesn't look like wires are going to line up correctly, as far as where they go into the harnesses and where pins are poking through. I'm currently re-downloading the manuals to check out the schematics, but I'm thinking I'm going to have to adjust the adapter pins to line up correctly. Anyone run into this before?

PProph

Original poster
Dec 7, 2011
Update, from what I can tell the harness in the TB has a wiring set up for the Premium Sound as indicated in the 2004 wiring pdf from the service manuals. I know that I don't have the BOSE, as indicated in my RPO codes, but it is an LTZ with the 6 disc changer, so maybe that's considered "Premium"? In this scenario there appears to be 2 grounds, one in B5 (for interior light system) and the main one in A12 (that is present in all layouts). If I follow this layout I've found my illumination wire, B1 orange should be the main hot, and A1 should be my data wire (typically Blue).

If anyone happens along here to tell me I'm wrong let me know, otherwise I'm going for it. Gonna pull the pins in the adapter to make sure they match up with what the manual says, and shoot my shot lol.

PProph

Original poster
Dec 7, 2011
Stereo works!

Car won't start!

:Banghead:

I worked into the Brown wire under the steering column for my red Accessory (light test to make sure it was only hot with the key in ACC/RUN, set up the rest of my wiring as I mentioned. Not sure why the car won't start.

I have power to the lights, stereo, etc, but nothing when I try to start. Also the power locks aren't working. I'll do some digging but if anyone has an answer I'm all ears.

EDIT* Also it's giving me the "Unknown Driver" message.

2nd Edit* After quick research I'm deciding either my data wire is hooked in incorrectly or I knicked something when I was splicing into the brown wire under the column. It's too late at night to troubleshoot these kinds of things so I'll check in the morning. If anyone has thoughts I'd take em!

Last edited:

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Troubleshooting 101, if you do one thing, and break something else, start backtracing, and undo some of the additions you made. If your broken functions return, then you know which step needs to be reworked somehow. The fact that your locks, DIC and ignition are complaining definitely would have me checking where you tapped into the data bus.

I'd remove that connection and test things again. :twocents:

Reactions: Mooseman and PProph

PProph

Original poster
Dec 7, 2011
My thoughts also, I didn't muck with the factory harness at all, just the adapter, so I'll re-check that work and schematics, and also dig down under the steering column again to see if I did in fact knick anything there.

I also replaced a fuse due to a code, completely unrelated and I can't imagine it caused any issues. Will see though.

PProph

Original poster
Dec 7, 2011
So I decided to undo my blue wire change and have nothing running to the Orange data wire in the factory harness, success! Everything is now working as intended! Thanks to anyone who helped me in this thread, GMTNation for life!

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
So what type/brand adapter harness were you using? Some are better than others.

PProph

Original poster
Dec 7, 2011
The $10 Metra from the link in the 3rd post, I wanted the cheapest thing possible. I'm not retaining any of the extras with it obviously, but that's alright for now.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Yeah, Metra aren't known for their quality. I've had a couple die on me and I think I've seen one on here that borked the data bus.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluecorp

Members Online