Annoying noise from front end on freeway

qmcssid

Original poster
Jun 17, 2013
Hi all, a new member from Idaho here owning a 04 TB LS 4x4 with 94k. I have come across an odd quirk with my TB and wanted to hear from other owners if this is normal. When driving down the interstate at any speed above 75(like in passing) I hear a moaning/ripping (only way to describe it) from the front of the truck, it seems most prevalent when driving into a stiff wind (common here in Idaho). At any other speed it is not there and I have heard nor felt any thing from the drivetrain i.e shaking/shimminy. Is this a design quirk with the air flowing around the front? This aren't the most aerodynamic vehicles but its quite annoying. Any thoughts would be appreciated, thanks.

jrSS

Dec 4, 2011
Does it get worse when turning left or right?? Could be a hub bearing.

qmcssid

Original poster
Jun 17, 2013
nope, this sound only happens while at freeway speeds. I have no issues when turning or lower than 80 mph speeds.

Playsinsnow

Nov 17, 2012
Could be wind or idler pulley among a few others. I have annoying noise too every now and then over 80mph. My wife.

Is it strictly road speed that makes the noise? What do the tires tread look like? Are they All Terrain, A/T's? Doesn't help the only way to diagnose right now is at 80mph. I didn't know I could do 80 in Idaho :wink:

Does it sound like a jet engine? Supercharger? Could be bearings in water pump

qmcssid

Original poster
Jun 17, 2013
Tires are BG Rugged Terrains T/A's.. brand new. Sound is strictly highway and sounds like high wind rushing through cracks. We drive 80 in Idaho so that the out of staters don't run up our backsides in their hurry to get where ever (they tend to think we are the Autobahn or something).

Playsinsnow

Nov 17, 2012
I have a buddy with a envoy and he complains of wind noise all the time. His friend and brother did too. Im hard of hearing so I can barely if at all tell the difference when I adjust my rack crossbars.

I have yet to try this, use some painters tape and seal yourself in and take a drive. Is it quieter? Both my buddy and I have bent, barely, back into place a corner of a door that made a difference. Turn up the volume? Lol.

Idaho was beautiful, no point in rushing.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fishermandude

Members Online