Annoying front end rattle felt in steering wheel

Srmva

Original poster
Aug 29, 2012
I have replaced everything but the lower control arm bushings. I know there was a TSB on the steering shaft. I have been looking for it. Can anyone post it ?

Also, thinking outside of the box, could it be lh engine mount? I will soon know as I have the rough idle that goes away when shifting to neutral. I have a couple of mounts on order.

Any other ideas?
Thanks

Playsinsnow

Nov 17, 2012
A 10hz vibration at idle that goes away in neutral would most likely be the motor mounts. Take a screwdriver to a bolt head near the intake resonator while some shifts to drive. Keeping the head of the screwdriver a hair or two away from bolt and you will feel a butterfly like flutter tap, 10x's a second, if the mounts are worn when shifting to drive. Stick to OEM on this part. Many complaints of stiff aftermarket mounts. For how long and well they lasted it's worth it.

Can you explain when the "rattle" occurs a little more?

Srmva

Original poster
Aug 29, 2012
Playsinsnow said:
A 10hz vibration at idle that goes away in neutral would most likely be the motor mounts. Take a screwdriver to a bolt head near the intake resonator while some shifts to drive. Keeping the head of the screwdriver a hair or two away from bolt and you will feel a butterfly like flutter tap, 10x's a second, if the mounts are worn when shifting to drive. Stick to OEM on this part. Many complaints of stiff aftermarket mounts. For how long and well they lasted it's worth it.

Can you explain when the "rattle" occurs a little more?

It usually is most noticeable20 to 30 mph, hitting small imperfections in the road, it is felt in the steering wheel.
Front end suspension, sway bar links, coil overs all pretty tight. Checked inner and outer tie rod

Yes cv joint tight.
Almost seems like the bushings at the steering rack are worn, yet when I checked them all seems tight:confused:

This weekend I will check the steering interm shaft

I do have the GM mounts on order

I have about 112000 miles

Srmva

Original poster
Aug 29, 2012
Rs8892 said:
You check cv shafts?

Hey rs8892.
I have been concentrating on the lh side. But when replacing my upper ball joints yesterday, I did notice some play in the RH CV joint tripot. Not as bad as the video I just watched. I would be surprised if that is what I am feeling. I'd swear its on the LH side somewhere. Everything has been replaced on the LH except LCA bushings and UCA bushings (which seem tight)

It will be awhile before I replace the inter. shaft bearing

Thanks

Srmva

Original poster
Aug 29, 2012
Srmva said:
Hey rs8892.
I have been concentrating on the lh side. But when replacing my upper ball joints yesterday, I did notice some play in the RH CV joint tripot. Not as bad as the video I just watched. I would be surprised if that is what I am feeling. I'd swear its on the LH side somewhere. Everything has been replaced on the LH except LCA bushings and UCA bushings (which seem tight)

It will be awhile before I replace the inter. shaft bearing

Thanks

Sooo. Ongoing, I replaced the axle disconnect. Came off pretty easy. Cracked it open and found it to be be pretty dry in the area of the outer bearing. I will rebuild at a later date.
But I was quite disappointed when I test drove and STILL have the rattle. Now I'm getting pissed.:

Back to the steering intermediate shaft. I wrapped a belt around the steering shaft so I could apply a little pressure to the shaft while driving and sure enough, the rattle went away. I ordered a new shaft. I know this is a big issue with the full size trucks but have not seen many envoy/ TB reporting an issue

seanpooh

Jan 24, 2012
Usually when the LCA bushing are worn, the symptoms are more of a creaking noise while braking. You would use silicone grease to confirm this.

As for the rattling in the steering wheel, first thought that came to mind was the sway bar link. They are nasty little buggers that cause all kinds of headaches for the members here including me.

If anything else, jack up each side and shake the wheel, sway bar, try to budge everything.

Srmva

Original poster
Aug 29, 2012
mikekey said:
Ballpoints are probably worn. I have same problem currently. Are you lifted?

Upper and lower ball joints new moog as well as anti sway bar links. In fact, I disconnected the links and went for test drive, basically eliminating the links from the equation.
I did replace the steering shaft and it improved some but I still have some rattle. I think you are correct, it must be the LCA bushings.:bonk:
I do notice how nice my XUV drives down the highway. Love the new michelin ltx m/s

Thanks for all the help guys

Srmva

Original poster
Aug 29, 2012
rockdude77 said:
I had this noise and it went away when I replaced the lower control arm bushings.

Hey Rockdude, did you replace the whole bracket assy or press new LCA bushings in?

I wonder if I can slide that bracket out without taking to much of the front end apart again.....

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
You should he able to replace the bracket itself without having to remove a lot of stuff. I would say remove the wheel for better access and you should be able to unbolt the bracket from the LCA and the frame bolts. It should slide out then. You may need help pulling the assembly out to slide the bracket out though. This will be the method I use to replace mine when the time comes.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fishermandude

Members Online