Android Stuff

blazinlow89

Original poster
Jan 25, 2012
I am starting a thread for all things Android (phone/tablet). I seen in past threads that some people get into the Dev side of things and figured we could use this as a learning/knowledge thread.

My first thing will be who runs what phone/tablet? What mods have you done, if any? How deep in the rabbit hole did you get?

I run a Droid 3 slider with Liberty Rom 3 v 2.0. I have done countless flashes on this phone with no problems. I also run an Acer Iconia A500, it was romed/rooted, but the last update fixed the exploit :hissyfit:.

Now I have a question. Does anyone run a Droid 2 Global? I am going to be putting a rom on the phon but see my options are limited. I am debating between Liberty and Cyanogen. Does anyone have experience with this?

I got into this when I soft bricked my phone and had serious anger issues that day, after alot of research, debating and just saying screw it, I fixed the soft brick. From that point it has not ended. I am no expert but I love playing the linux based platform for android.

Canary2323

Mar 31, 2012
Hey I'm an android fan too. I have a galaxy Nexus running Akop b31 and a hp Touchpad with Akop flashed also.

Jman423

Administrator
Mar 24, 2014
United States
Canary2323 said:
Hey I'm an android fan too. I have a galaxy Nexus running Akop b31 and a hp Touchpad with Akop flashed also.

Gnex AOKP b32 and Xoom Wifi AOKP b32

kardain

Dec 16, 2011
Current:
HTC Nexus One - CM7... trying to port over a ROM from the Cowon Z3 (android PMP) since I don't need the N1 as a phone anymore, but I've already soft bricked it several times
Motorola Atrix - CM9
HTC Flyer (tablet) - pre-alpha ICS port
ASUS eeePC (netbook) - ICS from the Android x86 project... dual boots with Ubuntu 12.04 as primary

Soon -- whatever the new phone is from republic wireless;

06Envoy

Dec 4, 2011
Dang... you guys.. running b32 already? I just noticed it an hour ago....

I'm running my Gnex on AOKP M4 and Franco Kernal M2.
I like the milestones. :smile:
I do run the no softkey mod and LMT though. :eek:
I've posted up a few Homescreen's on XDA.

Is there a big difference from 4.0.3 to 4.0.4? I figured I'd upgrade when the first .4 M gets released.

Anyone running the paid for Torque app?
Anyone know any hidden pids for our trucks?

blazinlow89

Original poster
Jan 25, 2012
06Envoy said:

Is there a big difference from 4.0.3 to 4.0.4? I figured I'd upgrade when the first .4 M gets released.

I have not played with the AOKP stuff yet but have been interested.

I am running the "paid" for Torque app, I have not gotten very deep into the program though. I am sure some of the better readers would work better though (ELM 327 here).

Jman423

Administrator
Mar 24, 2014
United States
06Envoy said:

I'm running Franco M2 as well.

As for 4.0.4, it seems to be better on my battery.

AOKP b32 is already giving me problems on my Xoom, so I might have to back that one down. No custom kernel on that one.

hrddrv

Dec 4, 2011
Samsung Infuse that is rooted. It is running froyo 2.2.1. I want to flash it just not sure with what. Also I do not want to have to reinstall and reconfigure everything else. I just got go Launcher all set up like I want.

blazinlow89

Original poster
Jan 25, 2012
I recommend Rom Toolbox Pro to anyone who roots their phone, or likes to customize. Saves all app data like TIBU, but has a lot more features and Jrummy has done alot for the Android platform.

Main reason I love Moto, so easy to mod, locked bootloader does suck though.

Jman423

Administrator
Mar 24, 2014
United States
blazinlow89 said:
I recommend Rom Toolbox Pro to anyone who roots their phone, or likes to customize. Saves all app data like TIBU, but has a lot more features and Jrummy has done alot for the Android platform.

Main reason I love Moto, so easy to mod, locked bootloader does suck though.

Yeah, I hate Moto now, mainly because of that. I've got the Droid X2 as well, and the ROM options for that shitty phone suck. My original Droid X ran better than this thing does.

As for the Gnex, I did just learn something I was not previously aware of... if you have 4G signal, you can talk and surf at the same time. The Rezound (which I don't have) is capable of this even without 4G signal. Those are steps in the right direction.

jpie021

Dec 4, 2011
Right now I have a droid 4 and a rooted kindle fire. I haven't felt the need to root the droid 4 yet. I have the functioning google play on the fire though.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Samsung Galaxy S here. Did have it rooted. But for what I was doing, it didnt acomplish anything. So I bricked the phone, exchanged it thru my carrier, and got a new one. Havent touched it since. I did try to update it to Gingerbread. Keis said it is updated to it, my phone disagrees.

The only reason I need to root my phone is for unrestricted tethering thru my carrier. But there are apps for that.

lint

Dec 4, 2011
Here's some app's ,,,, don't ban me if this is not in the rules. I'm just a idiot.:yes:

*LINK REMOVED*

blazinlow89

Original poster
Jan 25, 2012
LOL, do not expect this site to be up long alot of other "resources" have either pulled themselves off the web, or been shut down.

Jman423

Administrator
Mar 24, 2014
United States
lint said:
Here's some app's ,,,, don't ban me if this is not in the rules. I'm just a idiot.:yes:

*LINK REMOVED*

Yeah, that is border-lined. I'd rather not advertise links to questionable content like that... it'll only bring headaches.

What you could do is simply recommend that someone search for the appropriate torrents :wink:

black ice

Jan 16, 2012
I'm running the Asus Transformer, rooted with Stock Ics by Revolver... still tweaking this thing with kernels by guevor..

06Envoy

Dec 4, 2011
Any of you guys running Gnex's running the AOKP M5?
I'm still on M4 which is 4.0.3. Is it safe to goto the M5 4.0.4? Most of the BS bugs worked out?

I did just recently move to Franco M3 too.

blazinlow89

Original poster
Jan 25, 2012
06Envoy said:
Any of you guys running Gnex's running the AOKP M5?
I'm still on M4 which is 4.0.3. Is it safe to goto the M5 4.0.4? Most of the BS bugs worked out?

I did just recently move to Franco M3 too.

I switched to an AOKP rom yesterday, holy shit ICS is sweet. It is buggy in a few aspects (still Beta for the Droid 3) but everything I need minus Bluetooth works flawlessly. All I know is it is a Cyanogen mod rom, all I seen was Droid 3 ICS and that was about it before I was installing the rom.

View attachment 20668

ICS is currently available for my A500, but for some reason it is failing on every attempt. It has not been rooted since 3.0.1, I am currently on 3.2.1. Did not really feel like dealing with Its magic and all of the other BS involved with getting superuser frame work installed to gain root access. Not worth the time and effort especially when they had about 4 updates within 3 months. I will try again tomorrow.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2012-05-01-00-06-27.jpg
    Screenshot_2012-05-01-00-06-27.jpg
    7.3 KB · Views: 11

Canary2323

Mar 31, 2012
I read the other day they released an app too help people with a500 upgrade to ics to make it easy. Just google DROID life a 500 ics app should be in app store.

blazinlow89

Original poster
Jan 25, 2012
Canary2323 said:
I read the other day they released an app too help people with a500 upgrade to ics to make it easy. Just google DROID life a 500 ics app should be in app store.

The upgrade is not visible to the tablet without the app. Its already installed. The update initiates but as soon as it starts the install process it turns on airplane mode and turns off the wifi. I am going to play with it more after work.

Canary2323

Mar 31, 2012
What sites do you use? I use rootzwiki.com and I always find an answer pretty quickly. Great site with helpful people just like here
:smile:

blazinlow89

Original poster
Jan 25, 2012
Rootzwiki, xda developers and droid forums. They usually always have answers. So far I am not the only one with the issue.

Canary2323

Mar 31, 2012
Yeah read a couple threads and said factory resetting seems like one the only options to get it up and running with ics.. Hope you get it worked out.

blazinlow89

Original poster
Jan 25, 2012
Canary2323 said:
Yeah read a couple threads and said factory resetting seems like one the only options to get it up and running with ics.. Hope you get it worked out.

I tried it first thing when I got home and it worked. It looked like it was prompting me to download the update, skipping the download and going straight to unzipping. Today it downloaded, unzipped and installed in about 10 min. I tried 3 factory resets, hard reset and tried pushing back to 3.0.1. None of that worked, not sure why but whatever I have ICS on my tab now and I am waiting for the next nightlie version of AOKP for my phone.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
I am beginning to think I need to do a custom ROM. I hate this T-mobile aps that I cant get rid of, or uninstall. And I am already paying for unlimited internet, and they want me to pay more for the Tethering.. I have been told I can get by that with a custom ROM. Just have no idea how to do it.

kardain

Dec 16, 2011
TollKeeper said:
I am beginning to think I need to do a custom ROM. I hate this T-mobile aps that I cant get rid of, or uninstall. And I am already paying for unlimited internet, and they want me to pay more for the Tethering.. I have been told I can get by that with a custom ROM. Just have no idea how to do it.

Depending in what phone you have, Xda-developers.com, http://wiki.cyanogenmod.com/, or Rootzwiki should have noob friendly how to's to switch to cm7 (gingerbread), cm9 (ics), MIUI (an iPhone styled rom), or even just a debloated stock rom....

The hardest part is gaining root access initially. The rest is download, transfer and flash.

Just follow the instructions carefully.

I also recommend a backup program (provided root doesn't wipe your device) so you can restore your data after a rom flash. Titanium Backup or MyBackup Pro are the two most common...

Canary2323

Mar 31, 2012
TollKeeper said:

If you need any help you can pm me I've helped a lot of my friends .
On a side note my galaxy nexus speaker just went out ,so I'll be locking this bad boy up and unrooting it .can't wait for my replacement..

David B.

Dec 5, 2011
TollKeeper said:

Me too, my BB tethered so painlessly. My Galaxy S2 apparently does not want to cooperate, but I really need the ability to Tether. Silly TMO

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Thats what I have, a Samsung Galaxy S2. I also have a LG G2X. And my Spare phone is a Samsung Galaxy S (non 4G).

Right now I am using PDANET. And its letting me tether fairly painlessly. My next problem is the TMO tower near me has had issues with its 4G antenna for a long time, and TMO wont fix it. Edge sucks!

StvsDenaliXL

Nov 21, 2011
Jman423 said:
I did just learn something I was not previously aware of... if you have 4G signal, you can talk and surf at the same time. The Rezound (which I don't have) is capable of this even without 4G signal. Those are steps in the right direction.

I have the Rezound and I love being to talk and surf at the same time, I had found out about it when my wife saw a commercial on tv from AT&T about the iphone and said she can't we do that on Verizon and I remembered reading something on the web about being able to do it on 4G so I tried it and it worked even in 3G, so now the wife is jealous because she kept telling me to get an iphone and that it's better than android, but I told her I'm happy with my android and will not be drawn into the Apple propaganda :tongue:.....I haven't rooted my phone yet though, I know the Rezound is suppose to get ICS and there's a leaked beta version out, but don't want to try it and maybe screw something up before the official OTA upgrade and then have to re-flash my phone.

FlyingFischer

Dec 4, 2011
Spokane, WA
I have the Razr and love it. Before i had the droid 1, and then the droid x. Love them all but obviously the razr has been the best.

But know I need some help on deciding on a tablet for my TB.

Right now I am thinking the Asus TF300, but the only down side is that they don't make a media dock for it which I can make my own for the dash but it would nice to just buy one and mount it to the dash. The other one I was thinking is the Toshiba Excite 10 but I would want to wait for the Tegra 3 model which would be another month or two but is it worth the wait vs the Asus TF300 I can get right now?

Any tablet help would help me greatly.

blazinlow89

Original poster
Jan 25, 2012
FlyingFischer said:
I have the Razr and love it. Before i had the droid 1, and then the droid x. Love them all but obviously the razr has been the best.

But know I need some help on deciding on a tablet for my TB.

Right now I am thinking the Asus TF300, but the only down side is that they don't make a media dock for it which I can make my own for the dash but it would nice to just buy one and mount it to the dash. The other one I was thinking is the Toshiba Excite 10 but I would want to wait for the Tegra 3 model which would be another month or two but is it worth the wait vs the Asus TF300 I can get right now?

Any tablet help would help me greatly.

You can get an Acer Iconia A500 for a good price now. As for a dock you can get a floor mount that bolts to the seat for a reasonable price on Amazon.

FlyingFischer

Dec 4, 2011
Spokane, WA
blazinlow89 said:
You can get an Acer Iconia A500 for a good price now. As for a dock you can get a floor mount that bolts to the seat for a reasonable price on Amazon.

I want a tablet with quad core and the A500 only has dual core except for the A510 but that $500 at store around me.

And as for the mount I am making a fiberglass mount for the dash. I just wanted one with a media dock so I can quickly slide it in and out for charging and audio connections.:cool:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online