An Alternative method to get the 4/6-hi mod for TBSS Owners.

06Envoy

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
This article is an adaptation of my first 4/6-hi mod for V8 EXT/XL Owners. LINK HERE.

I don't actually own a TBSS, however a friend of mine does. So I got to get my hands on HARMLESS! <insert your best evil grin here>
Harmless's owner had asked me for a 6-hi mod for his TBSS.

His requirements were the same as mine.
- All OEM functions had to work. This includes perimeter lighting, auto dusk/dawn, on with door locking, flash to pass, manual control of fogs, everything was to stay OEM.
- No high current wiring allowed. All wiring was to be done before the relays.
- No mucking around under dash or under rear seats.
- Easily removable for troubleshooting or sending back to dealer.

I had already achieved this with the extended wheelbase V8's by putting my wiring in the underhood fuse block. I also knew the 4.6 I6 underhood fuse block was different than my 5.3, but would the TBSS be different as well?????
The answer was NO! The TBSS underhood fuseblock was identical to the 5.3!

Here is how I made up the 6-hi mod kit for a TBSS in under 15 minutes for no $$$.
*NOTE: Diodes are the biggest thing this mod needs. 2 for 6-hi or 1 for 4-hi. They can be found for free in any old broken computer ATX power supply. Ask for a broken one at your local computer shop.

$ REQUIRED:

PARTS REQUIRED:
QTY 3 Random colored lengths of multistrand wire.
QTY 2 Diodes

TOOLS REQUIRED:
Wire stripper/cutter
Soldering Iron
Flux
Solder
Black Electrical Tape

TIME REQUIRED:
15 Minutes

Gather up your supplies.
6987-img-20120520-094356.jpg

Twist the two ends of the Diodes with the silver band together and begin to solder a wire on each leg.
6988-img-20120520-095712.jpg

When your done soldering, it should look something like this. Perhaps a bit neater.
6984-img-20120520-101448.jpg

Look at how clean under Harmless's hood is. You might think that it's owner details vehicles or something. Mine is nowhere near as clean.
6981-img-20120520-102202.jpg

The three legs have to be attached to the pins of the following three relays like this.
Relay#43, Pin #85.
6982-img-20120520-102220.jpg

Relay#39, Pin #85.
6978-img-20120520-102246.jpg

Relay#46, Pin #5.
6980-img-20120520-102321.jpg

Stop Here. Run a test. Turn on your headlights at the switch, flip over to highs. Do you see all of your headlight/fog lights on? Perfect!
If not, then go back and check your pin wrappings.

Proceed to tape up the diodes, and reassemble.
6979-img-20120520-120641.jpg

That's it! Your Done!

A nice clean method of adding the 4 or 6-hi mod to a TBSS!

NOTES:
* I do not claim ownership of this mod. This has been done many many times by many many people across many many types of vehicles. All I've done is adapt it to work for the TBSS owners who do not want to mess with thier rear seat.
* This mod should be a prerequisite if installing HID's in your Lows. This mod will eliminate the warm up delay experienced when switching from high's back to lows.
* This mod retains ALL OEM functions. Everything factory still works as intended.
* When installing this mod, Don't be in a hurry! Haste makes Waste! Make sure that you have a lazy afternoon off and have all your items/tools available and verified.

Because you are increasing the light output when on high beams, please be considerate of other drivers and turn them off when you see oncomming traffic.
Even if it's far away.
Even if it's on the other side of the divided highway.
Especially if you see red taillights ahead of you....turn off your high beams!

ScarabEpic22

Nov 20, 2011
Nice! :thumbsup:

I did the 6 beam diode mod under the rear seat but I dont like how if I have the fogs off and hit the highs how they come on. So this mod lets you keep manual control of your fogs, ie if they're off and you go to highs/flash to pass they will stay off, if they're on and you go highs/flash to pass they stay on? I imagine Ill still need my DRL killer relay under the rear seat as well though.

harmless

Nov 21, 2011
CdnGMan said:
Nice write-up Garnet...
Looks like I'll have something else for Stef to do when I make my way up the 400 to see him - and Harmless... :wink:

I think I need to go back and check my "mod list for Stef"... :raspberry:

AHHHH FECK! :hissyfit: I should have been paying more attention to Garnet... :mad: Oh right. I was under HIS hood trying to revive a dead Envoy!!! :redface:

Garnet - the mod works flawlessly!! Impressive! I love it! I can now see much better along that dark section of road (that is notorious for deer and turkeys (the birds, for you smartasses :tongue: ).)

I still think this has gotta be the cleanest and most efficient mod I've seen yet for this setup! NOW I can't wait to get my HIDs!!!! :wootwoot:

ScarabEpic22: Imma gonna have to go check in what order they come on. I've already forgotten!

My engine IS clean... but that work table... LORD, I gotta shine that sucker up tomorrow!! That's embarassing! :rotfl:

Denali n DOO

May 22, 2012
Saw this article so I'd thought I'd add to it. At our meet on Saturday 06envoy did 3 GMT's in about 40 minutes. He used 3 jumper wires and some diodes in the fuse box under the hood. Maybe he can chime in with specifics as to what he did. I can now choose fogs and park lights, low beams alone and with fogs, hi beam low beam and fogs, no lights at all, flash to pass still works as normal but with all 6 lights with lights on or off. I have the off position on my switch which allows me to turn off DRL or any lights while moving. I'm going to clean up the exposed wire with shrink wrap. 5 out of 6 of us have this now. Thanks 06Envoy.

Attachments

• DSC02722.jpg
    DSC02722.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 80
  • DSC02717.jpg
    DSC02717.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 67
  • DSC02714.jpg
    DSC02714.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 59
  • DSC02715.jpg
    DSC02715.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 60
  • DSC02716.jpg
    DSC02716.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 63

D3vious

Dec 16, 2011
i've been reading up on the "QUAD MOD" but nobody seems to mention specifically what diode they've used.:confused:
I want to do this, but without some idea of the proper diode, I'm hesitant.:undecided:
Nobody wants to have a "CAR-B-Q"
:explode::diggrave:

Envoy_04

Jul 1, 2013
D3vious said:
i've been reading up on the "QUAD MOD" but nobody seems to mention specifically what diode they've used.:confused:
I want to do this, but without some idea of the proper diode, I'm hesitant.:undecided:
Nobody wants to have a "CAR-B-Q"
:explode::diggrave:

These
RadioShack

Those are what I used, the OP actually recommended these specific ones in another post, they work well.

D3vious

Dec 16, 2011
I guess I got too many diodes, 15 pack for 3 bucks.
After I do my tb and my brothers 'voy I'll have a ton left over.

D3vious

Dec 16, 2011
Ok, I'm totally confused, with a couple changes it works great on my brothers 06 envoy i6, will not work on. My 08 trailblaEr i6

D3vious

Dec 16, 2011
Ok here's what worked on his 04 envoy (I accidentally upgraded him, lol)
Relay 43, pin 85 is trigger (silver stripe) relay 46, pin 5, And relay 39, pin 85.
Doesn't make sense to me, but it's working.
I can't seem to get it to work regardless of how it's connected on mine.

D3vious

Dec 16, 2011
I'm wondering if it's as simple as my relays being installed incorrectly, I'll have to look into that I guess.

Dec 13, 2013
Osceola,Ia
D3vious said:
I'm wondering if it's as simple as my relays being installed incorrectly, I'll have to look into that I guess.

Sorry for not replying sooner! I actually was gonna suggest that, I can take a pic of mine later today and see if that helps ya out at all

D3vious

Dec 16, 2011
Ok, I noticed in sam, (my brother) envoy the part # is facing the middle of the block and on mine it's facing outside

D3vious

Dec 16, 2011
Forgot to check back in here, took a little while but I got it working.
I was inadvertently connecting the pins backwards,

bUAkronG

Jul 9, 2014
Alright, so I tried doing this last night and for whatever reason I couldn't get it to work.

When I hook pin 85 of the high beams to pin 85 on the fogs, the high and low beams work. When I hook pin 85 of the high beams to pin 5 of the headlight control module, the high and low beams work.

Essentially no combination of pin 85 On the hi beams, pin 85 On the fogs, and/or pin 5 on the headlight control module would make my fogs work with the high beams.

I didn't see a low beam relay. What am I missing?

Also, is this mod only for the 'flash to pass' function of the high beams or should it work with the highs turned on with the stalk?

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Flash to pass already has the desired functionality programmed into the BCM. This mod enables it for pushing fforward on the stalk for high beams stead on. I had a similar issue when I tried doing this mod, had to flip the diode around, and then it worked. The low beam relay should be labeled HDM for headlight module, I believe. :undecided:

Reactions: Mounce

bUAkronG

Jul 9, 2014
Blckshdw said:
Flash to pass already has the desired functionality programmed into the BCM. This mod enables it for pushing fforward on the stalk for high beams stead on. I had a similar issue when I tried doing this mod, had to flip the diode around, and then it worked. The low beam relay should be labeled HDM for headlight module, I believe. :undecided:
Okay I definitely didn't have any functionality with the stalk pushed forward.

Yeah, HDM is the one I was using for the low beams. I'll try changing the orientation of the diodes around, although I'm pretty sure it didn't want to make a difference,

Does the orientation of the relays make a difference? The HDM only goes one way but the other two could be flipped 180 degrees.

bUAkronG

Jul 9, 2014
bUAkronG said:
Okay I definitely didn't have any functionality with the stalk pushed forward.
Yeah, HDM is the one I was using for the low beams. I'll try changing the orientation of the diodes around, although I'm pretty sure it didn't want to make a difference,
Does the orientation of the relays make a difference? The HDM only goes one way but the other two could be flipped 180 degrees.
I finally got it all working properly. TBH I'm not sure what I was doing wrong, but taking a couple days off must have helped lol

Reactions: Blckshdw
Dec 13, 2013
Osceola,Ia
Since some of the pics are missing, I figured i would post up a couple to help anyone looking to do this simple and easy mod.

Here is my paint masterpiece of how the diodes are to be soldered together.
6-Hi Diode Diagram.jpg

Then since the relays could be installed a couple different ways, I will just post up which spots on the fuse block to put the wires to. 6-hi relay location (1).jpg

hope maybe this helps. :thumbsup:

No Tyme

Jun 23, 2015
Monroe County Michigan
The picture above, is that for quad lights or 6 lights... Not sure which one or contacts to connect... I want quad lights (high & low on with HIGH beams)

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
The picture above, is that for quad lights or 6 lights... Not sure which one or contacts to connect... I want quad lights (high & low on with HIGH beams)

That's for 6 (low, high & fog) If you only want quads, ignore the connection with the fog light relay. Easy peasy.

Edit: Scooped!!

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online