AM radio static

thebat

Original poster
May 14, 2017
New England
So why does my daughter's Roque's AM radio sound fine on AM. Same with my old piece of crap Toyota Corolla. But my 05 Trailblazer LT with premium sound works like s***. Nothing but hiss, static, buzz buzz, the weather has to be perfect for me to listen to AM. BUT I LIKE AM.
I didn't know if this has been discussed before, if so, Mods please move.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Could just be a broken tuner? Mine was fine tho I rarely used it (or FM for that matter)

Reactions: Mooseman

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Maybe check your antenna connection or the antenna itself. It can work itself loose on the mast.

Reactions: thebat

wags69

Mar 25, 2018
Illinois
Maybe check your antenna connection or the antenna itself. It can work itself loose on the mast.
Also check:
antenna wire for pinching or breaks
all radio grounds
any add on devices, like amps or car chargers that can induce static

cornchip

Jan 6, 2013
Does it work with the engine off? Alternators and ignition systems (bad or non-resistor spark plugs) have been past AM radio killers for me . FYI, my AM works fine.

Reactions: thebat and Redbeard

thebat

Original poster
May 14, 2017
New England
Does it work with the engine off? Alternators and ignition systems (bad or non-resistor spark plugs) have been past AM radio killers for me . FYI, my AM works fine.
I just tested, it works fine with engine off. But the static doesn't seem to increase if I rev the engine.
It has improved somewhat thanks to Mooseman. The large, black nut holding the antenna mast was a half turn loose. I snugged it up good, I notice an improvement.

Last edited:

wags69

Mar 25, 2018
Illinois
You could also try a ferrite choke to put over the positive wire going to the radio.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Do you know off the top of your head how difficult it is to access the + wire to the radio on 05 TB LT?

Difficult is a relative term. In a nutshell, you have to remove the knee bolster panel below the steering column first. Then you have to remove the dash surround, that covers the instrument cluster, and radio stack. At that point you'll have access to the 3 screws holding the radio in place. Removing that gives you access to the wiring harnesses attached to the back.

You'll need a 7mm socket/nut driver, and phillips head screw driver.

thebat

Original poster
May 14, 2017
New England
Difficult is a relative term. In a nutshell, you have to remove the knee bolster panel below the steering column first. Then you have to remove the dash surround, that covers the instrument cluster, and radio stack. At that point you'll have access to the 3 screws holding the radio in place. Removing that gives you access to the wiring harnesses attached to the back.

You'll need a 7mm socket/nut driver, and phillips head screw driver.
Thanks so so much for that detailed report. Unfortunately it sounds like it beyond my ability. I could probably take all that stuff off, but I would never get it back together.:Banghead:

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Thanks so so much for that detailed report. Unfortunately it sounds like it beyond my ability. I could probably take all that stuff off, but I would never get it back together.:Banghead:

Putting it back is actually the easy part, since you already know where the little push clips and screws go. Honestly, the hardest part is getting the dash surround off, since you have to lower the steering wheel to it's lowest position to clear it, and then get the face section in front of the radio, over the gear shift handle. All the other stuff is as simple as turning a screw driver.

Before you throw your hands up, just eyeball it first, now that you know what to look for.

Ilikemy3s

Dec 3, 2011
following as my radio does the same thing .. but i will also check every thing mentioned above.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher