alternator time? Tyc?

budwich

Original poster
Jun 16, 2013
kanata
Noticed that the radio "wines" from time to time.... and it didn't have any wine with supper ... :smile:
Checked grounds and in the past have changed out the negative cable because of a somewhat "unexplained" charge voltage that I thought was due to the SARVC module. It appears that helped somewhat. Recently though the radio wine with engine speed suggests that perhaps the alternator is on it last legs (210kkm). Was looking at rockauto and see they have a "thing" made by Tyc, 150 amp with no core charge. Was wondering if anybody has installed / run with these as opposed to some of the remans that they offer? I don't run any sort of high end audio or such as the vehicle is 2008 stock. I like not having to deal with sending back cores and such... not even sure how they work on "internet buys".... especially in canada. :smile:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
No core returns are a straight buy and are usually brand new not rebuilt, which usually ask for the core.

I can't speak for TYC itself but here's my experiences. I once bought an ACDelco rebuilt and it crapped out in short order. I then went with a new one from some brand made on China and it lasted several years until I scrapped the truck. However, before that, I bought one from Prime Choice, also made in China and it died within a month. Also once bought a new Remy, made in China, died a year later.

It's a crap shoot really. Try to find some reviews on Amazon for whatever part number you're looking at.

budwich

Original poster
Jun 16, 2013
kanata
Thanks. In the past, when you could readily come across component replacement parts, I would normally rebuild, especially around diodes and brushes. But that doesn't seem to be as easy these days. I will probably give the tyc a try especially since I don't have to deal with a core return on the internet. Hopefully, the unit is compatible with the savrc system that is in the truck.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
If it's for that year, it should be.

budwich

Original poster
Jun 16, 2013
kanata
Got around to replacing the alternator today. Hadn't heard the radio "whine / whistle" for a while so I am not sure whether the new Tyc solves that problem or not. The charge voltage "range" seems a bit lower.... that is to say previously, the old unit would "range up" as high as 15v, typically running for periods in the 14.4-14.6. New one is running around the 14.2 range, although it has only been a couple of "runs". I suspect the old one wasn't putting out enough amps at a specific voltage (as determined by the savrc module monitor), and thus the control was upping the voltage a bit to get the desired "current affect". Time will tell.

Reactions: Eric04 and Redbeard

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jvest

Members Online