Alternator Removal

Machoman

Original poster
Mar 10, 2014
So I attempted to change my thermostat today. How does one get the bottom bolt off on the alternator? I can't find a way to reach it.

triz

Apr 22, 2013
Just a long extension should be enough. It's a bit of pia. Why didn't you go thru the drivers side wheelwell. Much easier as it just requires removing the wheel and a long extension.

Mark20

Dec 6, 2011
A ratcheting flex head wrench, 15 mm if I remember correctly. I purposefully bought one when I did my thermostat. Made the job doable but I still could only get a couple of clicks per pull on the ratchet.

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
Be careful when using a ratcheting box end to not run it all the way out to the AC lines, removal of the ac compressor will get your wrench off. :mad::thumbsup:

IllogicTC

Dec 30, 2013
Machoman said:
If I remove the a/c line, I assume that I will have to have the a/c refilled.

Yes. And doing so in an uncontrolled environment could get you in trouble, too. It's a violation of the Clean Air Act to knowingly disperse any refrigerant into the air.

I think they were warning that when using the ratchet wrench, not to go too far at a time or your only recourse may be to have to remove the compressor to get it back out. Looks like they're speaking from experience :eek:

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
Machoman said:
If I remove the a/c line, I assume that I will have to have the a/c refilled.

Actually what happens, on mine anyway, the lower bolt is long and I thought it would come out long before it reached the AC line. You need to remove the box end and finish with the open or your fingers. The AC lines are very rigid but unbolting the compressor from the block will allow the lines to move enough to remove the wrench. No purging of Freon will occur, you are not removing the lines, just moving them slightly.

meerschm

Aug 26, 2012
just to be clear, the recommended tool is one of these:
Metric Ratcheting Combo Wrench Set - 7 Piece

(does not have to be harbor freight)

I did mine with a box end and open end wrench. just took a while to get the bottom bolt out, and it is pretty tight against the refrigerant line when it is all the way out.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fishermandude

Members Online

No members online now.