ALT and PS Pump Bearings - Belt Chirp

denaliguy

Original poster
Jun 1, 2013
Trying to eliminate a cold start chirp of the belt on a 2008 Escalade 6.2L V8. Changed main drive belt and AC belts as well as both tensioner pulleys. Didn't eliminate but needed to happen anyway. I think I have it narrowed down to the alternator bearings and/or power steering pump bearings. The alt has a squeak when I turn the pulley wheel and the ps pump pulley wheel moves forward and back. Below are videos of both. Thoughts?

Alternator
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ldAUxna9_0&feature=youtu.be

Power Steering Pump
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tlDEQ-i4-80&feature=youtu.be

kickass audio

Aug 25, 2012
When you say cold start chirp did it by chance rain the night before you start it? Reason I ask is because any vehicle I had, if it rains overnight the moisture builds up under the hood and gets on the belt so when I start for like 5-10 seconds I have a bit of belt chirp that goes away if I rev up the engine to spin the moisture off.

You mentioned replacing the tensioner pulleys, what about the idler pulley? I have seen quite a few times on many different engines that the idler pulley can cause some chirp when cold.

Finally, with your alternator squeaking I honestly would not worry about it. both my stock and aftermarket alts squeak when you spin them in reverse but are silent when you spin them clockwise. Your power steering pulley on the other hand I would be concerned with and might say you are about to need to replace the bearing on it or replace the pump if you want to do that much. There should never be that much play, thats a lot to make it move around.

denaliguy

Original poster
Jun 1, 2013
No rain, I keep it garaged and it has the chirp every time I start it up for the first time that day. May come back a little after sitting a while. I didn't replace the idler pulley, good thought there. Thought the ps pump had too much play as well. Thanks for the reply, I'll keep you posted.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
I'd suspect the pump first. My alternator on my Camaro squeaks when spun by hand but doesn't make noise when running.

When the pump pulley moves in and out it messes with belt alignment, just slightly, and could easily make it chirp.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online

No members online now.