Aircon gurus -- check in

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
I always ran recirc on and as cold as it would go. The TB would legitimately snow on 90 degree humid days. 34 degree vent temps was awesome and I miss it. The r1234 in the colorado only does about 40 at best. Still comfortable but not numb your hand cold either.

As a side note, the ac has yet to be turned off in my truck since I drove it off the lot. Any time of the year I can't stand that slight dampness so I just leave it on and it lightly cycles even in the dead of winter.

Glad you got it fixed though. I've found the wiggle room on the system is a few ounces as well... it'll be happy anywhere near the spec. Iirc slightly under charged actually runs colder. I'd have to look at a pressure curve to confirm that however.

Reactions: Reprise

Reprise

Original poster
Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
I always ran recirc on and as cold as it would go. The TB would legitimately snow on 90 degree humid days. 34 degree vent temps was awesome and I miss it. The r1234 in the colorado only does about 40 at best. Still comfortable but not numb your hand cold either.

100% agree on the A/C output on my LWB Envoy. I don't run recirc by default, and the A/C was always DAMN frosty when it was 100%. ❄️:love0001:❄️ One of the best things on the vehicle (between that and the heated seats, I was always comfy).
I'm noticing that the Sierra seems like it's *not* as cold, by comparison (and I wonder why / wish it was as cold, since just about everything in the system was replaced, and if anything, there's less cabin area to cool). But it's cool enough (I know an A/C system is expected to typically cool about (-20F) below ambient, and it's been hot here the last few days... low 90s (30C, for you frostbacks... LOL) Maybe I'll rig up a thermometer and actually measure the temps, instead of just relying on faulty (?) memory.

BTW, Littleblazer (and you prolly know this, anyway, but for whomever cares to)... the 'new' yyz1234567890 refrigerant doesn't cool as well as the 134a... which doesn't do as good a job as the old R-12. I suppose the next version of refrigerant will be ice cubes in front of a blower fan. :hopeless: Hopefully, I'll have moved off this mortal coil before we get to a replacement for R-1234yf (who *picks* these names?)

Finally... got the Accord apart enough to jump the compressor clutch. It actually still works -- I can both hear and see it move. The harness plug that attaches has 12V to it, and the system passed its diagnostics that can be run from the control head. So I broke down and put in a second Rock order for the compressor (I'd ordered the Sierra's P/S pump last night). And since the Accord is waiting for that part, but can still be driven (or, at least moved in/out of the garage & driveway... out it goes, and the Envoy now gets its turn (along with installing the block-off kit for the rear A/C). And I'm learning to hate Honda's different harness connector locking mechanisms, as well, although at least I haven't broken any... yet.

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
100% agree on the A/C output on my LWB Envoy. I don't run recirc by default, and the A/C was always DAMN frosty when it was 100%. ❄️:love0001:❄️ One of the best things on the vehicle (between that and the heated seats, I was always comfy).
I'm noticing that the Sierra seems like it's *not* as cold, by comparison (and I wonder why / wish it was as cold, since just about everything in the system was replaced, and if anything, there's less cabin area to cool). But it's cool enough (I know an A/C system is expected to typically cool about (-20F) below ambient, and it's been hot here the last few days... low 90s (30C, for you frostbacks... LOL) Maybe I'll rig up a thermometer and actually measure the temps, instead of just relying on faulty (?) memory.

BTW, Littleblazer (and you prolly know this, anyway, but for whomever cares to)... the 'new' yyz1234567890 refrigerant doesn't cool as well as the 134a... which doesn't do as good a job as the old R-12. I suppose the next version of refrigerant will be ice cubes in front of a blower fan. :hopeless: Hopefully, I'll have moved off this mortal coil before we get to a replacement for R-1234yf (who *picks* these names?)

Finally... got the Accord apart enough to jump the compressor clutch. It actually still works -- I can both hear and see it move. The harness plug that attaches has 12V to it, and the system passed its diagnostics that can be run from the control head. So I broke down and put in a second Rock order for the compressor (I'd ordered the Sierra's P/S pump last night). And since the Accord is waiting for that part, but can still be driven (or, at least moved in/out of the garage & driveway... out it goes, and the Envoy now gets its turn (along with installing the block-off kit for the rear A/C). And I'm learning to hate Honda's different harness connector locking mechanisms, as well, although at least I haven't broken any... yet.
Yeah. I had expected the 1234 to be better than it is simply because it uses a liquid to liquid chiller... the exiting refrigerant pre cools the refrigerant entering the cabin coil or something to that effect. It gets quite cold under the hood (lines ice up) it just doesn't cool the cabin as well. I did notice the short cab is much better. The crew cab I suppose is just a lot more volume.

As far as naming... If I remember anything from my schooling it was based on connectivity on the compounds that make up the refrigerant but I may be wrong. Just short hand for the name in other words.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online

No members online now.