Air Suspension replacement

corvettebob

Original poster
Jul 9, 2012
Air suspension on my Envoy XUV died last week. Air leak then pump burned out trying to keep up. Ordered new replacement springs (steel) from Arnott Industries Merott Island, Fla.
Just finished installing the steel springs from Arnott. It took all of 1 1/2 hours in my driveway. The ride seems to be just as good as with air. Just can't haul super heavy loads or tow a heavy hitch weight trailer. Cost $250.00 vs. $700.00 plus+ for pump and bags. If you are a gambler you could replace the bags for $250.00 and you have a 50/50 chance of being right. Here is how to replace bags with steel springs. First remove fuse for electronic ride control (look in manual for location) 2004 Envoy XUV is 30 amp fuse #1 in box under hood. Lower spare for clearance to air pump. Block front wheels then break loose lug nuts and jack up rear using floor jack under diff. Most jacks won't go high enough to put them under the hitch. Put two "GOOD" jack stands under frame in front of rear wheels. Keep jack under diff. and remove wheels. Slowly Let jack down so you can remove bolts from lower shock mounts. Remove two bolts holding pump bracket to frame. Turn pump over and cut 3 air lines and remove elec. plugs (2) Drop pump out and discard. Let diff. down as far as you can. Air bags will now be loose. Rotate them while you are twisting and they should come right out. Cut the air lines (one to each, on top) and remove the bags. Read instructions that came with springs. The name on the spring must be upright for the spring to be in the correct position. The springs will go right in place. Slowly raise the jack and replace the bolts in the lower shock mount. Put the wheels back on and you are done. No more leaks. Now sit back and think of how you are going to spend all that money you saved!! USE ALL CAUTION AND SAFETY WHEN YOU WORK ON A VEHICLE WITH A JACK AND JACK STANDS!!! Once again BLOCK THE WHEELS, AS THE REAR WILL BE OFF THE GROUND :thumbsup:

jrSS

Dec 4, 2011
Ummn..u didn't use the rubber spring unsulators?? Your chit might get noisy metal against metal.

corvettebob

Original poster
Jul 9, 2012
jrSS said:
Ummn..u didn't use the rubber spring unsulators?? Your chit might get noisy metal against metal.

I questioned that when I ordered the springs and they said I did not need them. Everything I needed would be in the box. No noise so far.:undecided:

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Thanks for the post! You can now throw Airlift1000 helper bags inside the springs if you need some extra adjustable lift for when you have hitch or significant cargo weight.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fishermandude

Members Online