Air suspension - pump running a lot

BR53L

Original poster
Jan 6, 2014
I have an '05 Rainier and it likely has a lot of original suspension parts. I've been looking through some threads, but didn't really find a solid answer. How often is the pump supposed to run? Mine comes on about every minute. When I am stopped I can feel the truck rise when the pump runs, then I can feel it lower slowly when it turns off. The ride height looks normal though when looking at the truck(I saw pictures or air suspended trucks pretty much bottomed out). It sits slightly lower on the driver side. Tire to fender clearance on driver side is 4 1/4" and passenger 5". I'm going to get under the truck in the next couple days, but just wanted some input on some things to check on before I do. I know a lot of people switch to springs, but I will be pulling my car a lot this summer to track events so I would prefer to stick with the air setup...or what ever setup is inexpensive for towing. Thanks in advance.

C-ya

Aug 24, 2012
Sounds like leaky bags or bad check valves. Maybe leaky hose(s). Something is letting the air out of the bags. I would go under there with a spray bottle of soapy water and look for bubbles.

When you get a warm day. Hopefully you have a garage to play in!

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
A few owners switch their bags or compressor out to an Arnott Industries unit. Easy to search for "Arnott". The side to side lean can be fixed by moving the height sensors, which are mounted behind the tires and are easy to spot by the linkage involved. The mounting screws are in slotted holes, so if you loosen them, you can rotate the sensor a SMALL amount, and drive around for a while and remeasure. Lather, rinse, repeat.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gdub2306

Members Online