Air suspension..Low pressure from compressor?

Tiggerr

Original poster
Jun 6, 2013
Perrysburg, OH
I have an '04 Rainier with about 135K miles on it with air ride rear suspension..
Today I went out and the bags were down...out of the blue...never had any issues before...
The compressor comes on and runs for a short time at startup as always but the bags don't lift..
I'm getting about 40PSI at the filler connection inside the truck (for airing tires etc)...
Jacked it up... the bags appear to have SOME air in them..Not enough? don't hear any leaks when I squeeze the bags...
Bags don't look all rotted....no holes or blowouts i can see
The compressor appears original...Without removing the whole damn suspension.. since you can't really get to the lines..
How do you test how much pressure is in the bags? What should be in them? no load on it, just the truck itself....
Compressor always seemed a bit noisy too me since we've had it...Bought last Sept...
Wondering if compressor is bad and not putting out enough PSI to hold up the truck all of the sudden? Overnight?
The bags have never been down in the morning like that either..they are always up at normal level..Or close enough you couldn't tell at a glance

At a loss

Like the air ride... hate to shell out $375 for a compressor tho...especially without knowing for sure....
I know all about the coil conversion kits.....don't want that if possible..

Also... why do you need a "conversion kit" anyway?...Couldn't you just use regular OE springs from a non air ride TB or Envoy??
Shouldn't be much difference.....All the so-called "kits" appear to be just springs....
If I do go that route... has anyone tried the Eibach spring "kit" from strutmasters?
Eibach is known for good stuff....just wondering

To be more clear.....The compressor only runs for a minute or so when you turn on the key/start engine...
After that it doesn't run again....

Could a bad compressor cause the bags to leak down?...wouldn't there be a check valve to prevent that?
At midnight last night they were fine....by noon today they were down...never had any leakage before now...

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Tiggerr said:
Also... why do you need a "conversion kit" anyway?...Couldn't you just use regular OE springs from a non air ride TB or Envoy??
You can. For less money than a new compressor and bags, you can install OEM coils and for adjustability if you tow or carry heavy cargo, add Airlift1000 bags inside the coils. Then an Airlift manual-control compressor or a simple Schrader valve (that comes with the bag kit) and you have all the functionality of your existing setup except for the automatic height sensors.

floridafitz

Jan 2, 2012
Winter Springs FL
Did the air bag swap for oem springs couple of years ago and am soooo happy to never worry about a bag or compressor failure again. Don't carry loads or tow so inside coil bags are not necessary. There is no doubt that the air bags absorb the road better than springs but for the peace of mind and $$ I would do it all over again. Bought the bags from a member (Trailvoy at the time) for a modest amount. Did not do the install myself.

Jimmyz

Jul 3, 2013
I'm thinking about changing out my airbags for coils. My bags leck down if the truck sits for more then two days.

What coils spring do I use to replace the bags (part number)? Do I have to change the shocks too? I just put new shocks and would hate to have to buy another set.

floridafitz

Jan 2, 2012
Winter Springs FL
Sorry.....meant to say I bought the "springs" not bags from a member. Did not change out the new Monroe shocks either. Whatever minor difference there may be in oem or replacement shocks for springs vs bags is negligible. Might want to stay away from the stiffer shocks however and go with the regular rated.

jrSS

Dec 4, 2011
Arnott sells some good replacement air bags. Mine leak too overnight but always has. The on board air compressor is loud. That's the way mine is too.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
memoremix

Members Online