Air suspensin sags - with pressure?

Instrumental

Original poster
Jan 29, 2012
I had an unusual experience this weekend towing the boat.

My airbags have been leaking, and I know I need to replace soon. I have a pump and gauge I installed when the compressor went bad, so I just manually fill as needed. Ironically, if I keep the height up a bit, they don't leak and work fine for quite some time.

Anyway, towing this weekend I had sag that got worse as I traveled. Trip started with good height, but just got lower as I went. Pressure was up, so no significant leaking, but even if I tried adding air the rear end was essentially bottomed out. Could this be due to the age of the rubber and it just not being stiff enough to do the job anymore?

Tiggerr

Jun 6, 2013
Perrysburg, OH
If your air compressor is working properly I'd say yes... if you keep running it like that though the compressor may overwork and take a vacation on you....I'd get new bags on it soon....

That's assuming it's working since you said your adding air....

If the compressor is dead and not being used then using stock bags solely as air springs isn't going to work well.. the bouncing in normal suspension action will lose air..

If thats the case I'd get a set of coils and use air lift helper bags for towing...

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I second the option of replacing the troublesome and expensive air suspension system with cheap and reliable springs.

Instrumental

Original poster
Jan 29, 2012
Just to clarify, I replaced the factory compressor a while back with a manual setup. I have a compressor on board, just have to push a button to add or release air when i need it. Also gives me a gauge, so I'm able to monitor the pressure in the bag.

I know coils is a common bit of advice, but I prefer the air. At this point with a solid compressor setup, it's less than 200.00 to put in new bags.

Tiggerr

Jun 6, 2013
Perrysburg, OH
Just to clarify, I replaced the factory compressor a while back with a manual setup. I have a compressor on board, just have to push a button to add or release air when i need it. Also gives me a gauge, so I'm able to monitor the pressure in the bag.

I know coils is a common bit of advice, but I prefer the air. At this point with a solid compressor setup, it's less than 200.00 to put in new bags.

The manual compressor is why you sag after time driving... without an auto-level system eventually it will do that with normal suspension motion...

Not saying you don't need bags as well but without constant attention air suspension won't stay level...

That's why the oem compressor works the way it does... similar to the way a big truck suspension works....

Instrumental

Original poster
Jan 29, 2012
I see where you're coming from, but I have to disagree here, I can go for days without touching it unloaded, and previosly when loaded for a fair bit.

I've had this setup for over a year, and it's just very recently the sag has happened. I have pressure in the bags, they just won't hold up the load.

Tiggerr

Jun 6, 2013
Perrysburg, OH
I see where you're coming from, but I have to disagree here, I can go for days without touching it unloaded, and previosly when loaded for a fair bit.

I've had this setup for over a year, and it's just very recently the sag has happened. I have pressure in the bags, they just won't hold up the load.

Definitely sounds like you need bags at least... or coils....either or

carshinebob

Jun 13, 2014
I have a used set of fairly new arrnott bags I pulled from a parts truck recently if your interested. I'm in Jackson, MI. ~BOB

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY
It could also be the check valve in your new compressor. I would disconnect the compressor air line and install a temporary Schrader valve, then pump them up and observe to see if it still bleeds down. Mike.

Instrumental

Original poster
Jan 29, 2012
I know what you're saying, but I've got a gauge on it and it's not losing pressure.

I did order new bags, sadly before I saw your post Bob. Here's hoping that'll be the fix.

Instrumental

Original poster
Jan 29, 2012
Been quite a while since I put in the new bags, and I figured I should report back. I always hate reading threads that don't resolve.

Unfortunately, I haven't done any real serious towing since, only a few smaller trips. However, it certainly is holding air just fine. In the bit of towing I have done, It's also held ride height just fine. I did have a heavier trailer on it for about a day, and no problems a little extra air didn't fix.

I think my final prognosis on the old bags was that they had worn to the point that they didn't have the integrity to support the load even under pressure. When I pulled them the overlap area was a pretty much a honeycomb of bad rubber.

Reactions: Mooseman

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online

No members online now.