Ahhh... The French...

mrrsm

Original poster
Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Back in the mid-1990's... I was doing quite a bit of traveling and lecturing and on one occasion, while standing in front of a Five Star Hotel in the Downtown Section of "The Miracle Mile" in Chicago... I saw an odd looking Three Wheel French Citroen pull up. The occupants exited and I could see that they where an extremely attractive couple as a scene was unfolding that was one of a parting between these two young people. The woman was very tall and elegant; expensively garbed in the style of real furs for winter dress in Chicago at that time and.her beautiful face was framed in Dark Sable that lined the hood of her jacket. For the life of me... I cannot remember much about the Man...other than the fact that he was there for her to express herself to ...and quite romantically, too.

She quickly approached the man with big tears in her eyes and though it was so very windy and cold at around 10 Degrees Below zero ... by rights... they should have frozen solid on her cheeks. But she was much too flushed and excited and became even more so as the Man embraced her without reservation. They spoke very softly in French...and then she kissed him like they would never see each other again. Meanwhile ... all of the people passing by suddenly stood stock still to appreciate their parting moments ... a stunning scene of sadness and beauty that Hollywood itself would envy.

There was a song playing inside of that car that I could only get scraps of at the time... and the sound of it was as though the lyric was scripted for that very moment. I never forgot that its sounded French and the woman singing it was almost as upset as this young lady was. But it was only until recently that I heard this same song on Youtube and I remembered that it perfectly captured what we all saw as the expression of real warmth between two people who loved each other on that cold December Day. Its strange how sometimes life can give you things to see that simply last forever in your memories...and I can't help but wonder about what happened to them:

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
First off... I did enjoy reading this post. The tune didn't trip my trigger, but that's beside the point.

One gentle correction - and as a native Chicagoan who has lived in the metro area my entire life, I'm feeling entitled to make it :smile:

There is a 'Miracle Mile' in LA...
There is also one in NY...(not NYC, but I forget the exact 'where')

But in Chicago, the part of Michigan Ave you're referring to is called 'The Magnificent (or 'Mag') Mile'. AFAIK, it's the only city with a street having that moniker.

Other than that - great story! Bien joué!

But they still can't make a car worth a damn... LMAO

Three wheels? I hope the front axle had two, at least - otherwise, it'd be a french version of the 'Reliant Robin' (for those who didn't see the old Top Gear episode, it was an English car that had a propensity to flip on its side during turns of almost any speed higher than idle) :stars: Thankfully, it didn't take much to get out and right the vehicle again (unless it flipped on the driver's side)

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher