aftermarket seats ?

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
The seatbelt was my only holdback from replacing the seats.

Me007gold

Nov 20, 2011
ConeKilrAutoX said:
well I have a set of 4 point harnesses that I would use. what do you think hardtrailz? go for it?

Are you going to use a roll cage? how about a harness bar? are you going to mount the harness under your seat(terrible unsafe)?

ConeKilrAutoX

Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
Me007gold said:
Are you going to use a roll cage? how about a harness bar? are you going to mount the harness under your seat(terrible unsafe)?

harness bar. I knew from past projects with some nissans that the under the seat mount will break your spine.
Maybe a small roll cage for safty. idk yet. but for sure a harness bar

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Me007gold said:

Our belts are only attatched to the seats so bolting them to the mounts under the seat would be just as safe strengthwise, but I dont know if they would be bad in other ways.

I did not want to deal with aftermarket harnesses, so I ditched the idea. If I did not drive it all the time, it would not be a big deal, but I kept thinking that if I could get another factory style mount in the b pillar, it could work.

ConeKilrAutoX

Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
HARDTRAILZ said:
Our belts are only attatched to the seats so bolting them to the mounts under the seat would be just as safe strengthwise, but I dont know if they would be bad in other ways.I did not want to deal with aftermarket harnesses, so I ditched the idea. If I did not drive it all the time, it would not be a big deal, but I kept thinking that if I could get another factory style mount in the b pillar, it could work.

Oh true. Yea I dont mind the harnesses but do you think aftermarket seats would fit with standard mounts if they were "universal mounts" ? I would assume I would need to take stock mounts off our seats or by new brackets

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Our floor is not flat so something will need fabbed more than likely

kardain

Dec 16, 2011
HARDTRAILZ said:
Our belts are only attatched to the seats so bolting them to the mounts under the seat...

The lap belt, yes. The shoulder belts, no. There is an increased chance of spinal compression in an impact.

If running harnesses, be prepared not to use your back seat (or middle row if lwb)

The shoulder harnesses must not exceed a certain angle to prevent injury.

What happens is when you get in an accident, the harness pulls you down in such an angle that it actually compresses your body so much that you blow everything out. Just think when you get hit in an accident you are wanting to go foward in the seat, if the belt is holding you down at such an angle the least point of resistance is you. The belt isnt going to snap.

To run a harness correctly you need to have no more than 5 degrees of downward angle and no more than 20 upward. Thats just the top belt if you are running bottom belts for a submarine belt there is a lot more info

http://www.schrothracing.com/sdocs/2009_Competition_Instructions.pdf

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
How about just an old school lap belt? I know it is not as safe, but you can say that about many mods. I dont use the shoulder belt when wheeling quite often anyway since it can restrict movement to see.

kardain

Dec 16, 2011
HARDTRAILZ said:
How about just an old school lap belt? I know it is not as safe, but you can say that about many mods. I dont use the shoulder belt when wheeling quite often anyway since it can restrict movement to see.

That should be okay as long as your vehicle is a dedicated off-road only vehicle... If on-road, shoulder belts are required. Damn you nhtsa. :mad:

ConeKilrAutoX

Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
HARDTRAILZ said:

good point. I just drive to shows and work. (99% highway)

I wanted an aftermarket seat so i dont get tossed around in autocross like I did last year

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
kardain said:
That should be okay as long as your vehicle is a dedicated off-road only vehicle... If on-road, shoulder belts are required. Damn you nhtsa. :mad:

Freaking govt wanting to keep me alive...Damn them...

ConeKilrAutoX said:
good point. I just drive to shows and work. (99% highway)

I wanted an aftermarket seat so i dont get tossed around in autocross like I did last year

Ya, our seats pretty well suck like that. I think there may be a bit of extra bolstering in the SS, but not completely sure of that. Wonder if adding your own padding and getting them recovered would be a better option?

ConeKilrAutoX

Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
HARDTRAILZ said:
Freaking govt wanting to keep me alive...Damn them...
Ya, our seats pretty well suck like that. I think there may be a bit of extra bolstering in the SS, but not completely sure of that. Wonder if adding your own padding and getting them recovered would be a better option?

haha yeah...wellI might try new seats if not I will just stick with what I have. I wanted the look with the harnesses and black seats lol

ConeKilrAutoX

Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
when / if I do go for aftermarket sport seats to complete the look (and is required by my scca branch to race) my main concern is will the air bag still go of for passenger and driver ???
I know the wiring from seats does something but what all does it do? - can it be adapted to aftermarket seats? :undecided:
thanks everyone.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Does your have airbags IN your factory seats (my 02 does) or does it have side curtain?

Removing the factory seats that have bags in them will naturally mean no more side airbags at all. The front airbags should still function fine (it would be a poorly designed system if one disconnected bag caused all of them to not function), however you'd also have an airbag warning light on the dash.

kardain

Dec 16, 2011
The driver's side should still function if you were to swap out only the driver's seat, however the passenger side (at least in my 06, not sure about other years) has a standby switch that is weight activated. If the passenger seat is removed, the srs module will detect a fault and could prevent any and all airbags from deploying. This is a safety feature built in to prevent accidental deployment in case of system faults, first responder rescue, etc.

Check under the driver's seat. If there is a large yellow plug (may also have a tag marked srs or airbag) then the driver's seat is also tied in the system.

If it isn't marked and if you have side seat airbags, then the same fault will occur. If no side airbags and no yellow plugs, with the vehicle off and key out of the ignition, remove the srs fuse and wait at least 30 minutes.

Unplug all connectors from the driver seat and reinsert the srs fuse. Turn the key to run. If the srs light doesn't illuminate, then you are good for the driver's side.

For the passenger side, you will either need to adapt the standby switch in to the seat or find/make a simulator to plug in after removing the passenger seat. Since I don't want to play around with my srs (except to eventually remove it... The idea of something exploding in my face is disconcerting) I'm not going to attempt to figure out what is needed to simulate the standby sensor.

ConeKilrAutoX

Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
Sparky said:
Does your have airbags IN your factory seats (my 02 does) or does it have side curtain? Removing the factory seats that have bags in them will naturally mean no more side airbags at all. The front airbags should still function fine (it would be a poorly designed system if one disconnected bag caused all of them to not function), however you'd also have an airbag warning light on the dash.

alright....damn. THANK YOU ! yea id have to check when i have a chance and get the details on my 2004. id really like to do it but not for all of the problems it could cause.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I rode around with not passenger seat for a bit and no light came on with the plug just loose on the floor :coffee:

ConeKilrAutoX

Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
HARDTRAILZ said:
I rode around with not passenger seat for a bit and no light came on with the plug just loose on the floor :coffee:

Alright. Thank you. I have been doing lots of research and i believe you can use a resistor and loop the end of the passenger and drive seat sensors (plug one end of resistor into one pin and other into the other pin) thus keeping front airbags working properly. I am going for it! I will make and post a how to with pics and vids once the project gets underway in april. I might use the bottom of the stock seats to mount new aftermarkets.

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
I personally would not bother with those seats!! They won't look good in a truck like ours IMO. If you want I would rather spend the money on some nice leather seats and get the front and back done! I like that would look much better but thats just me! Its all up to you of course!

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
ItsOnVoy said:
I personally would not bother with those seats!! They won't look good in a truck like ours IMO. If you want I would rather spend the money on some nice leather seats and get the front and back done! I like that would look much better but thats just me! Its all up to you of course!

Wow. You missed the point of why he wanted them!! Autocross. What would leather add for that? Looks are not his goal...Well sort of, but I like the look and wanted them for offroading. Improved padding and bolstering would be great compared to our flat seats.

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
HARDTRAILZ said:
Wow. You missed the point of why he wanted them!! Autocross. What would leather add for that? Looks are not his goal...Well sort of, but I like the look and wanted them for offroading. Improved padding and bolstering would be great compared to our flat seats.

Oh okay I must have missed that part or something!! My bad!!

ConeKilrAutoX

Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
ItsOnVoy said:
Oh okay I must have missed that part or something!! My bad!!

its ok I understand your opinion. I have back seats folded down at all times. and being in autocross I need this as safety. I have the harnesses but on the stock seats it a. looks like a rice burner honda and B. is not safe. They will look good in all black because I am carbon fiber-ing the interior and the harnesses will be PROPERLY mounted on a harness bar behind the seats for a legitimate safe install.

and Hardtrailz...I just had surgery monday and have to take it easy with the stitches and staples but as soon as I am on my feet again I will do a how to (with videos and pics) for you (and the site) once I get everything working. Im sure you would like them when your offroading. they will keep you from going all over the interior I bet.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online