Aftermarket S/S Transmission Cooler Lines & MORE...

mrrsm

Original poster
Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
I stumbled over THIS cool site that features pre-bent Stainless Steel Transmission Cooler Line(s) for the GMT360 Vehicles and a few more pre-bent Lines for Brakes that might prove handy for those who cannot source what you need from GM Dealerships:

ALL Custom S/S & Mild Steel Specialty Product Offers for Trailblazer, Envoy, Ranier & 97-X… Assorted Bends:

https://www.sstubes.com/pages/search-results-page?q=trailblazer

25% Off The Mild Steel Flavor of the Transmission Cooler Line...

https://www.sstubes.com/products/ttc0201om-02-09-trailblazer-transmission-cooler-line-steel

Stainless Steel… (Pricey… but it just might be worth it up in The Rust Belt & The Great White North):

https://www.sstubes.com/collections...railblazer-transmission-cooler-line-stainless

...and finally… their DIY Fittings, Armor Wire Wound Brake Line Protection and Brake Line Repair Kits:

https://www.sstubes.com/collections/diy-kits-fittings

Reactions: Tankcruiser

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY
Replacing the lines with oil cooler hose might be an economical and easy fix, especially if you are near the end cycle of the vehicle.

matermark

Nov 3, 2020
Niagara Falls NY
That may be my short-term plan but my XUV only has 77K miles and just bought it about 6 months ago, only put 281 miles on it, so will eventually replace with steel or stainless steel....

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
Actually, the defining characteristic is SWB vs LWB (like your XUV). The brake lines are the same, whether 4.2L or 5.3L. Only the length is different (and then, really only for the rear, from the ABS module backward.)

If the trans cooler lines are what you're looking for, those should be the same, as well. Almost every one of the GMT360 / 365 / 370s use the same 4L60E transmission (lone exception is the TBSS), and the location of the cooler lines is the same at the transmission end.

The I6 and V8 do use different radiators, but I think they terminate in the same way (both at the bottom of the radiator, one on each side.) Same retaining clips, etc. And the radiators mount in the same place in the engine bay.

The one thing you'd need to check is the length of the lines, because the 4.2L is a longer engine than the 5.3L. But my guess is that the transmissions are mounted in the exact same place, because: a) same trans, and b) there's only one crossmember mount in the back, not separate ones for I6 vs. V8, or SWB vs. LWB.

The different bellhousings between the I6 and V8 probably make up the difference in length, so that the 4L60E itself is in the exact same spot on all of the models that have it.

If that's the case, then it should matter not whether the trans cooler lines are for I6 or V8 -- they should be the same lines -- same length / inner & outer diameter / material / etc.

Do your homework (look up the GM part numbers, vs. engine / wheelbase), but I'll bet they're the same. That would apply for brake & trans fluid lines, at least.

matermark

Nov 3, 2020
Niagara Falls NY
Actually, the defining characteristic is SWB vs LWB (like your XUV). The brake lines are the same, whether 4.2L or 5.3L. Only the length is different (and then, really only for the rear, from the ABS module backward.)

If the trans cooler lines are what you're looking for, those should be the same, as well. Almost every one of the GMT360 / 365 / 370s use the same 4L60E transmission (lone exception is the TBSS), and the location of the cooler lines is the same at the transmission end.

The I6 and V8 do use different radiators, but I think they terminate in the same way (both at the bottom of the radiator, one on each side.) Same retaining clips, etc. And the radiators mount in the same place in the engine bay.

The one thing you'd need to check is the length of the lines, because the 4.2L is a longer engine than the 5.3L. But my guess is that the transmissions are mounted in the exact same place, because: a) same trans, and b) there's only one crossmember mount in the back, not separate ones for I6 vs. V8, or SWB vs. LWB.

The different bellhousings between the I6 and V8 probably make up the difference in length, so that the 4L60E itself is in the exact same spot on all of the models that have it.

If that's the case, then it should matter not whether the trans cooler lines are for I6 or V8 -- they should be the same lines -- same length / inner & outer diameter / material / etc.

Do your homework (look up the GM part numbers, vs. engine / wheelbase), but I'll bet they're the same. That would apply for brake & trans fluid lines, at least.
I didn't check versus wheelbase but I did check I6 vs V8 and the trans lines are different for 4.2 than 5.3.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MEHMET ONUR

Members Online