Aftermarket receiver hitch

gmcman

Original poster
Dec 12, 2011
Just curious what (if any) aftermarket receiver hitches fit behind our factory bumper cover as the original one does.

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
I know this is for "The WRONG End" *** of what you want.... But if I were a Boat Owner and not really interested in learning the necessary "Three Degrees of Boat Parking In Reverse" Techniques needed to:

(1) Park The Boat.
(2) Un-Hitch The Boat.
(3) Somehow, Get UN-Trapped from in Front of the Boat... due to 'Boat Parking Fatigue'.

...I'd want to get One of THESE ***:

FRONTRAILERHITCH1.pngFRONTRAILERHITCH2.png

Yeah... Even I could Park a Boat & Trailer with One of THESE Babies bolted up under the Front Grill (NO Welding Necessary):

*** Perhaps the Folks at CURT Hitch have one these for the REAR, Too. :>)

Last edited:

Redbeard

Jan 26, 2013
Another bit off topic, but in regards to backing a trailer & MRRSM tidbit: When you are backing up a trailer place your steering hand at the bottom of the steering wheel. When you want the trailer to say go to the right push your hand to the same side! No reason to complicate matters in trying to think backwards! With the steering hand 180 degrees from normal it places your steering wheels where they belong. (rip Alex for sharing this tip to me nearing 40 years ago). This tip just might save you from purchasing a extra hitch that MRRSM seems to peddle above. (just kidding).

gmcman

Original poster
Dec 12, 2011
The front hitch is surely useful in certain applications. I'm fine with backing things up, I remember my dad having me back a small yard trailer with a garden tractor back when I was a kid. He stood there laughing as I jackknifed over and over again.

When I was about 8 years old I was a master....lol. Good times.

When you want the trailer to say go to the right push your hand to the same side

That's what I told my son the first few times he tried to back a small cart.

As for the receiver hitch, the factory is still avail but crazy expensive. Hoping an aftermarket would have the same profile.

Reactions: Redbeard

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Why go aftermarket... Plenty of used OEM hitchs on ebay, or your local salvage yard..

Probably the best bet, is finding someone local that is parting one out on craigslist, and see what you can get. Something like this.. Not local to you, but just using as a reference..

I guess the bigger question is, why are you replacing the OE hitch?

Reactions: gmcman and Mooseman

gmcman

Original poster
Dec 12, 2011
I guess the bigger question is, why are you replacing the OE hitch?

I've been going through the undercarriage, knocking down the surface rust. The area around the thin metal cross piece in front of the energy absorber had a bit of rust in some areas, nothing terrible, but needs attention.

Some of the receiver has some rust that has penetrated a small area, again, nothing too bad.

I figured I would get a fresh receiver and not have to worry about it. I just found out the price from the dealer, so and the used side looks much better. Just over $650 is absurd.

The salvage ones might be a good idea, many haven't seen salt....worth a try.

gmcman

Original poster
Dec 12, 2011
Looking underneath, it appears that once the bumper cover is removed, the receiver could be unbolted and removed, but I've only looked at it with the bumper cover attached.

After speaking with the parts dept, it seems that the hitch is sold in conjunction with the impact bar. I suppose they can be separated, not sure, but this is the part through GM for the receiver hitch. Explains their retail price.

Screenshot_20200727-215903_Chrome.jpg

Parts breakdown:

Screenshot_20200727-215939_Chrome.jpg

Wouldn't have to worry about cleaning up the rust in front of the hitch, but still worth trying a salvage yard for a good donor first.

I don't mind grinding away at the manageable rust in that area now, but hard to look away from a new unit....except for the price.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Its one piece. Just find a take-off one.

Reactions: Redbeard

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jonnnnyj

Members Online