Aftermarket radio with Bose amp

Shdwdrgn

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
I'm looking at getting an Android stereo... FWIW it's a chinese seller off ebay, which I know I'm taking a chance, but such is life... So the one thing that I cannot seem to get any info on is the output. The unit is listed as 45W x 4, but nobody can seem to tell me if it has standard line-level outputs (which I assume I would need to connect it to the Bose amp).

So what are my options if for some reason there are no line outputs? Any way to keep using the Bose amp?

Also does anyone have a recommendation for the steering wheel adapter that works with the Bose amp?

Thanks!

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
You will need an adapter harness. Either this one (which I got and works well): https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MG2F61T/?tag=gmtnation-20 or this PAC one: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DHUA9VA/?tag=gmtnation-20

I went with the Axxess one (which people apparently have had issues with) because it plays the chimes through the speakers rather than a tinny little box under the dash. Read the reviews on both, but there is a very good detailed review from a guy with a H2 that relates to my Bose system.

If you have an 02-04 with the Bose amp you will lose the seek option on the steering wheel control using either one...don't know why it won't work, but I never used that feature. You will also lose the fader, so make sure you have it adjusted to where you want it using the factory HU before you swap everything out.

Shdwdrgn

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ugh... I didn't realize the fader would be an issue. Don't they still use a regular 4-speaker setup so the radio can just adjust the volume of front/rear independently?

Thanks for the links to the harnesses... will read up on both of them shortly...

Reactions: Matt

Shdwdrgn

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Huh... just realize it no longer displays all of my truck info in the sidebar. My TB is a 2004.

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
The Pioneer I put in a month ago can change the volume of the speakers independently so that "could" act as a sort of fader but it'd be a PITA to do it while driving. If yours has the Bose amp, there should be 6 speakers.

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
And just to chime in w/ another option...I have a Metra GMOS-04 in my '03 Envoy w/bose. It has beautiful chimes just like OEM, and I have full fader / balance controls (my HU is a Pioneer AVX-3800BHS or some such).
The one thing I don't have is SWC - but there's a add-on box from Metra that will give them back, if you want them. Since I generally drive left-handed, and the volume switch on my '03 steering wheel is on the RH side, I just control the HU w/ my right hand - it's only about 8" farther from one to the other. :rolleyes:

The nice thing about the harnesses is that you need not do any wire splicing or guessing on the factory wiring layout (which is a nightmare on these trucks even *with* a wiring diagram, IMO). Just wire your radio's harness plug to the adapter, then plug it into the OEM harnesses, and you're set. No guesswork, and you can easily go back to factory HU if you sell the truck, etc.

Oh - one last thing - I'd personally avoid purchasing it from overseas, as I've had a couple of bad experiences w/ doing that, but YMMV :smile:

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
I hate the chimes... ding. Ding. Ding all day with the doors open working. :suicide:

Shdwdrgn

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
I was actually looking at the GMOS-04 earlier -- it had great reviews, especially in that it has separate volume adjustment pots for the chimes and the stereo input -- but I had no idea it did not have the steering wheel harness tied in as well. Sheesh what's it take to find one simple cable that doesn't require a compromise. And I'm really surprised about the prices of these things, when I started looking into the idea a few years back folks were recommending a harness that sold for $36. Apparently things have changed.

Oh yeah, you're right about there being 6 speakers. I guess I just always counted the door and dash speakers together, I didn't think they would fade separately?

The idea of going back to the factory HU is a joke. I thought I was doing good getting a truck with the 6-disc changer, but the stupid thing has trouble picking up Denver radio stations while driving through Denver. I even got another one off ebay, hooked it up with a different antenna, and had to difference in the pick-up. It's so bad that the original owner had a signal booster installed (took me a long time to figure out what that was). And lately the power button has stopped working. Seems to be after I took a long trip I couldn't turn it off, but lately this is happening just on the drive to work, after about half an hour it won't shut off (I can still change volume and stations though). And of course I can't even play a single CD in it any more. So I'm just completely done with the POS. I found a decent Android 6 unit with a 6.95" screen and a front-loading CD/DVD slot, and it actually has an AUX input, unlike the factory unit. It runs about $230 with US-based shipping (still sold by a Chinese company though), which is about my price range considering I'll be dropping another $100 into a harness and I don't even know yet what I'll need for a 2DIN mount for it.

So back to my original question... What options do I have if this radio does not have line-level outputs? Is there still a way to use it directly with the Bose amp?

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
With the harness, yes. I still have my stock bose amp; didnt have to do a thing to it.

Oh, wait - you mean if it *only* has preamp outputs? If you could find some sort of preamp-to-line level adapter (usually it's the other way around that people want). The bose amp has no provision for low-level / preamp inputs, so that's not an option that I know of, anyway.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
He asked if it DOESN'T have line outputs. There is one from PAC audio that works on speaker outputs, don't have the part number though.

But, before buying it, look at the pics of the unit. If you see a bunch of RCA connectors either on the back or on the wiring harness, it likely has them. I can't imagine any of these without them.

Oh and you will lose the steering controls. These units use a weird two wire arrangement and I couldn't get them to work at all unless mine were fubar.

Shdwdrgn

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Thanks, but yeah android is a must-have. I like the apps on my phone, but I'd really rather have them on the dash. At the very least, Waze has been great. Ideally I would have preferred to build my own unit, but I can't even seem to find the app they all seem to use for the radio.

Dan_G

Oct 23, 2014
Thanks, but yeah android is a must-have. I like the apps on my phone, but I'd really rather have them on the dash. At the very least, Waze has been great. Ideally I would have preferred to build my own unit, but I can't even seem to find the app they all seem to use for the radio.

I have the GMOS-04 with a Kenwood NAV head unit. The GMOS unit made the installation pretty simple. The wiring is perhaps a little confusing at first since the GMOS-04 can be wired a few different ways. It used the high level speaker outputs from the head unit and handles all the "complexities" of interfacing with the factory Bose amp. You will have to go through the procedure for setting the gain for the head unit and also a separate procedure for the chime volume level. There is a little knob for that. Once set, it works perfectly. It works just like a factory head unit - only better. If you want SWC then you will have to buy that separate interface and set that up. I did not bother with SWC.

I have a Sirius/XM receiver too. That can actually use the factory antenna on the roof (there is a youtube video on this). Reception is amazing with the roof mounted antenna. It's hard to go back to regular radio once you have satellite - the reception pretty much never fades out. You could drive all day and night and never change the channel. There is no interference (unless you go into a long tunnel or you are in NYC with massive tall buildings).

In retrospect I would never buy another NAV radio. The Kenwood unit works fine (Garmin NAV) but an Android smartphone and Google maps blows away any built in NAV system. No expensive map updates – it’s just always up to date. The navigation routing and re-routing for traffic is way better anyway – no comparison to Garmin NAV and their traffic receiver. So what I would do is get a head unit with Android Auto or Apple Car Play. Let your smartphone do the GPS thing and have it display on your head unit screen. If you can swing this, it's the way to go. Most brands of newer radios seem to have this anyway.

Shdwdrgn

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Radio reception never used to be a problem, and should *not* be a problem for me. I live 30 miles from Denver. I used to pick up radio stations almost all the way to Wyoming, but this radio just drives me nuts.

Good to know there's another harness for SWC that works with the GMOS-04. Seems like a good bet to work with just about everything. The android stereo I'm looking at actually has GPS built in, so I would only need to pair to my phone to provide the internet connection for updated traffic info. And since you say this one works with the high-level speaker outputs, it sounds like a perfect match. I did a lot of digging last night, and could not find a single android stereo that had low-level outputs. I mean really, what are these guys thinking?

OK, I'm off to try and find that SWC harness now...

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I have Spotify on my Android HU and it's better than Sirius. Can work offline so just connect to the house (or any) wifi and download all the songs. Zero interruptions and can skip/select the songs you want.

Look for the A2DP Volume app for your phone. Amazing free app that automatically sets your volume when your phone is connected (i.e. max) and can also read your incoming texts and emails through any Bluetooth connected device. Pretty cool!

Dan_G

Oct 23, 2014
...Good to know there's another harness for SWC that works with the GMOS-04...

I used the Axxess ASWC-1 for SWC on another car. It will work with the GMOS-04. It was a pain to set up. It did not automatically recognize ... I had to program the thing manually. It took a few go rounds to get the thing to work, but it did eventually work.

Shdwdrgn

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
I was actually reviewing that exact model. Seems like programming is hit-or-miss for most people, but luckily appears to be a one-time setup and then you can forget about it.

What is this about having to solder wires to hook up the steering wheel controls though? Did you actually have to do that, or was there another option that just plugged in? I mean I understand having to solder the wires from the new receiver to the GMOS harness, but I would have thought there would be a factory plug to connect the SWC harness without soldering anything?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
Wow...lots of updates in one day on this... and to be honest, I don't want to be editing multiple quotes... so just look for your section, previous posters...LOL

To the OP - you're getting some good info here from everyone.

I'll echo the 'get a HU that has Android Auto built in'. My Pioneer HU doesn't have the AA compatibility (it supposedly can work with Apple CarPlay, but I will never be a follower of St. Steve of Cupertino); it does have a free Pioneer app that is supposed to put the Android phone's screen on the HU screen, but I never got it to work right. I have a unit similar to Matt's, but mine has HD Radio and Spotify built in. It also has *two* video outputs (so you can hook up a backup camera, and still play DVDs to your passengers, a USB *and* 3.5mm Aux input (which are in the back, but I put in an adapter cable that runs to where my cigar lighter used to be, and the USB and Aux are right there in the front - looks factory.

Why do I mention this? Because the OP is about to send off to China and pay more $ than Matt and I did. That Pioneer cost me $160 and change from Sonic Electronix online. Nice thing was, I could demo it at my local BestNotBuy, so I knew what I was getting beforehand. Try that with China. (no, I'm not dogging the OP...just pointing out there are other options)

On Android Auto - I upgraded my phone a few months back because my Accord has it as standard equipment - and it is *really* nice. It's kind of like having Google Home...but in your car. Want to find some info while you're on the road? Press the talk button and ask Google. Did you have a song pop in your head, and would like to hear it, but don't have it in the car / phone? If you have a Spotify sub (or perhaps a Pandora will work also,) tell Google to play it, and it's coming to you via Spotify a few seconds later. As someone else pointed out...AA will show Google Maps on your screen, if you have a display screen - so I fully agree with the previous poster who said 'no more NAV HUs for me'

Also - I believe the new (or about to be new - electronics mfgs tend to release updated product in March-April) Pioneers now have the AA built-in !

Spotify vs. SiriusXM - Spotify for the win, IMO. I used to be a subscriber to SXM practically since they came out (I had one of those 1st-gen Sony units, even...later a Pioneer Inno, so I could record the content). But since Sirius purchased XM and took them over, their sound quality decreased, and their content became crappier, IMO. (XM always had way better SQ than Sirius)

XM, to me, was a really good thing before Sirius messed it up. Plus they stopped selling 'lifetime subs'. Anyway... Once Spotify became available, and I found out it's features / cost... to Mooseman's point, it is *way* more flexible, and *half* the price of XM ($10/mo USD for Spotify premium.) And I can tailor it exactly to what I want at home (my Roku even has it!), and then that follows me in the car, or on any device I have that has Spotify on it. You can download it *to* the device(s), as well, as Moose pointed out - then you don't even need a network connection to play it. SXM...well, they have a lot of channels, but half of them I would never listen to - and the music is a lot more homogenized than it was on XM alone. You can figure out easily what I spent on XM / SXM over the past 20yrs or so...now there are better options available, IMO. You can also get podcasts, etc. w/ Spotify. Not sure about audiobooks, but there's another app for that, so...

Someone mentioned XM in large cities w/ tall buildings... XM actually had a terrestrial repeater network in cities like these - so you could still listen downtown, etc. I don't know if they still have that, but if they do, I can't imagine downtown Denver not having it. I'd still go w/ Spotify, though... cellular signal is almost pervasive, and it won't have very many dropouts, if you have a good phone / good carrier.

Sounds like the OP wants to listen to terrestrial radio...I still listen to it, too, so I understand. If that's important to you, you want to look at FM capture ratio, especially, and lower numbers in this stat are better. Alpine used to have really good FM reception (I haven't had one of their units in awhile, though). My current Pioneer is good. Before that, I had a Kenwood - actually one of their upper-tier Excelons - and the tuner wasn't as good as the one I have in the Pioneer. The HD Radio holds capture better in the Pioneer vs the Kenwood, too. A good source of comparing tuner stats for many radios at once is Crutchfield (but their prices are high, compared to other sites.)

Back to the SWC, which seems to be important to our OP... if you're going to try the GMOS-04, they give you the subharness with it, to connect their add-on SWC box to the main GMOS box - again...plug & play, it controls the SWC through the GMOS harnesses, and no cutting of the GM wiring needed.

Ok - I think that covers everything since my last post. Happy Shopping! :smile:

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
This is the model I have been looking at. Oddly I can't seem to find it listed on Ali, although there are certainly a lot more models to look through...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/7-2Din-Andr...o-Radio-DVD-Player-GPS-Navi-Cam-/201865973011

And after looking for a bit, here's how the HU provides RCAs:
http://cardvdgps-china.com/english/ProductView.asp?ID=534
(note - I know this is not the OPs particular HU - however, it appears that there are many branded units, mostly using a standard chassis / build, especially in the rear. Scroll down a bit to see.

Now...something I noticed (both by comparing here and via another site)... You're provided 2 pr of RCA outs for the audio. That means unless you have the option to switch the rear pair to a sub out - that you're not going to be able to (easily) add a sub. Or - if the front pair is full-range, and the rear is (fixed) for the sub - then you may have trouble getting 4-channel amplification for the mains, or if you're able to do it, you may lose fade control. Those are just guesses on my part, I'll admit - but I also saw that *some* of the HU stated 'subwoofer' - meaning that those either have a 3rd pair of RCAs, or are switchable. Your model didn't have 'subwoofer' listed as a feature, so we'll assume that your 2pr are both full-range and not switchable.

Can you still add a sub? Yes, but not as easily. Or maybe you don't care about a sub (but you're probably going to notice the difference from the Bose setup, as it's a bass reflex system.) I won't call it 'great' bass, but there's a decent amount of it, which is one big thing bass reflex speakers / systems are known for.

The one thing it looks like your HU can accommodate, since it actually has the Android OS - is a rootkit. If that's important to you, I can understand now why you want this particular model. If not - I think you can do better for the same or less money - but that's my opinion and you may not agree.

Shdwdrgn

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Wow, huge post and lots to talk about! All right, let's see if I can touch on everything...

Android is important to me for a number of reasons. Yes, rootkit would be awesome if possible, I'm a linux man at heart so I could write up quick scripts to auto-sync things from the home network. Old-fashioned FM is still great for just tuning in and relaxing, and all of the units I've looked at support at least 32GB 'map' cards which can also be used to store music. Since I plan to use waze (which is also a Google product), I don't need no steenkin' maps, so I can load up this card with my own music -- And this is actually easy for me because I have built up my own internet radio station over the years and have playlists with well over 1500 titles, not including a few full albums I would like to have. If I get in a dead zone, I could still have half a week's worth of music available. As it stands, I could potentially load that music on my phone, but since the stock radio has no aux, I can't play it through the existing sound system. Because of the current availability of music, I've never even looked in to services like spotify or pandora, and certainly can't see the need to *pay* for my music.

Android also provides other benefits, like the programs that read ODBII. Sure I've got a full HPtuners system at home, but when I'm on the road it might be nice to quickly display the error codes or see if I can spot something in the diagnostics to explain that funny noise from the last 200 miles. Yeah I might be able to get some of that stuff on my phone, but really, there's no reason NOT to have a powerful computer in the dash that can do all these functions for me. What's the point of getting a new receiver if I'm just going to have the phone right back up on the dash again?

Regarding the sound system... I'm fairly easy to please. The sound from the Bose amp and speakers is great for me. Subwoofer is not needed, but I do need to be able to balance between front and rear speakers (even if it's just a one-time setting).

I definitely agree that it would be much better to be able to check out these units in person before buying. The only real stereo shop we have around here is Car Toys, so I checked their website for android receivers. And choked. My options are basically $800 or $1200, and I thought they all looked ugly. At the very least, I can find some US-based sellers for some of these chinese radios, and I've been looking over the listed specs extremely carefully. These idiots on ebay really have no clue what they are selling. So many say right in the title that they have a DVD player, then in fine print in the middle of 20 pages of BS about how you can change the color of the display, you'll see a little blurb *Does not include DVD player*. And all the ones saying they have a 7" display, then when you find the specs on another site it's really only a 6.2" screen. And my all-time favorite is the absolute hype about how *their* unit is so much better than everyone else's because they can play full 1080p video in all its glory... on their 800x480 screen. I'm a computer tech, I know how much of a load Android puts on a system. You better have at least a quad-core 1.6Ghz cpu or you can GTFO. And honestly this hype about how beautiful their 800x480 screen looks is killing me. How can you seriously be bragging about a resolution that is the same size as my 3" phone?

Yeah, I've been looking at these things for too long now. I wish I could build my own and put some realistic hardware in it, but I don't have time to build all the software, so I'll have to settle for the garbage that they're peddling and make the most of it that I can. I'm trying to get the best bang for what I consider a reasonable price, and if need be I'll upgrade the hardware or software later.

OK one more question... You mentioned there is already a SWC cable available that works with the GMOS units? I had done some looking around but didn't find anything. Do you happen to remember a model number or any key words I could try searching on? Thanks.

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
Ok - I can see you know what you're getting into, so I'll stop trying to save you from yourself. Apologies - I work in IT as well.

On the GMOS-04 and the add-on (which is called an 'ASWC') -
If you buy the GMOS, they provide an 'extra' cable - which will plug one end into the GMOS-04, and the other end into the 'optional' ASWC.
If you purchase the ASWC by itself, it comes with the box and the interface cable. So the net effect if you purchase both is that you have an extra interface cable at the end, after hooking everything up.

As I mentioned...for me, because of where the volume button is on my steering wheel... I doubt I'll be adding an ASWC to my existing GMOS-04 anytime soon. I'd rather move my hand the extra 8" than spend the extra $40-50 to have it at this point. :yes: Although I'm known to change my mind sometimes.

I've had good results with my GMOS; it really makes things child's play. I took mine in the house, wired up the harness from the Pioneer to it, then went outside and plugged it into all the GM plugs - I had the new radio running in about 2 minutes. The hardest thing about it is tuning the amp output and the chimes. Oh - one more thing... you'll notice when you take the old radio out that there is a grey plastic piece in the back with both vertical / horizontal planes that acts as a brace for the stock radio. In order to get the new HU to fit (well), you'll likely need to take a small saw or maybe a dremel w/ cutting wheel, and remove the vertical portion right where it meets the horizontal. It'll cut fairly easily; the hard part is finding something small enough to get in there and cut it with. Since I have the Envoy, it's pretty easy to get to the center stack and the area with the radio, and it was still a tight area for me. Looks like you have the TB, so a little more work is likely awaiting you.

Finally...as long as your Bose amp is in good shape - you'll be fine with using it and the stock speaks. The only reason I'm replacing mine is that the amp is going out, and if I'm doing that, I may as well do the speakers, run new wiring, etc. If it weren't for that - I'd just leave the rest of it as-is - it's good enough for me, and what I use the vehicle for. I wanted BT so I could have hands-free phone calls - which is the law over here (and I hate holding the phone to my ear as well).

Oh - one more thing I noticed about your unit, since I'm talking hands-free - it looks like yours uses an in-unit mic on the front panel. You will probably want to rig up an external mic to the unit - they tend to sound way better to your far-end parties than the front panel ones do.

Shdwdrgn

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Wait... when you say ASWC, are you referring to the Metra Axxess ASWC-1 that was mentioned above? I mean, both that and the GMOS-04 are made by the same company, but since it had already been mentioned I thought maybe you were referring to something different?

The volume control is really the only thing I ever use on the steering wheel, but I do find it handy. And I was also counting on the addition of the bluetooth pairing with the phone, so I may just repurpose the onstar button to be used for answering calls if I can. As for the built-in mic... yeah I didn't have much expectation for that, but since I do have a mic built in from the onstar equipment, I had planned on trying to track down the wiring and try to re-use that one at some point. And yes, the onstar is long gone. I ripped it out years ago as something I would never use, then used the mounting plate to set up a small 750W inverter with the plugs facing towards the door. Handy spot for when I need to use it, and I can always run an extension cord into the back.

So there seems to be some newer models on Ali of the radio I was looking at. Think I'll have to comb through their site and re-check my options. Hoping to buy the harness cables this month and then try to get the radio next month. Just too many bills right now to get crazy with purchases.

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
Wait... when you say ASWC, are you referring to the Metra Axxess ASWC-1 that was mentioned above? I mean, both that and the GMOS-04 are made by the same company, but since it had already been mentioned I thought maybe you were referring to something different?

Yep - those interface together. I couldn't remember the name, and did a quick search on Google - that's what came up. But the correct name has the '-1' suffix, now that you mention it. That's the one.

Shdwdrgn

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
OK good deal, so we're on the same page there and everyone seems to agree that the combination of those two pieces are a good match. If only I could find a radio that quickly which matched my requirements.

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
The Axxess harness that I linked to has the SWC with it, so you would just need to buy that one thing and you're set.

Also, as I mentioned and is your desire, set the fader to where you want it BEFORE you remove the OEM HU as none of the harnesses allow you to change that. If you change it with the OEM HU it'll stay that way when you hook up the new one.

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
@Matt - I have std fader control in mine (e.g.; not jerry-rigged or programmed); I use it when the front passenger channel on the amp starts acting up (fade 100% to the rear). I don't have a SWC hooked up, though - perhaps that's why? And if that were true - another reason I'd forgo the SWC...lol

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
@Reprise I just looked and the one that I got doesn't retain the digital fade, but there are others that do.

The GMOS-04 and the ASWC-1 together will do what mine does, but will also retain the digital fade. That's what I should have done...didn't research hard enough!

Shdwdrgn

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Haha... ok then, ignore what Matt says, go with the original plan, and all will be right with the universe. :smile:

Hey Matt, I just noticed that 2DIN adapter you had linked to above is 3D printed. I guess I hadn't realized that stuff could actually stand up to daily abuse now, although I'm not cracked about the idea of the printing showing up around the radio on the faceplate. It's certainly a cheap price though.

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
Yeah, ignore the harness that I got and go with the GMOS-04 and ASWC-1 and you'll be sweet.

I don't know if it's 3D printed or molded but here's a pic of it in my truck.

20170304_152240_zpsoxa8i6u9.jpg

Shdwdrgn

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Curious... your's looks molded - the plastic appears to be completely smooth, but the one shown on the Amazon link is definitely 3D printed because you can clearly see all the lines from the printing process. Ah well, they must have changed their product.

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
I'm going to say that the first pic is a generic photo...that's the same pic when I ordered mine Feb 24.

rizzo20

I'm looking at getting an Android stereo... FWIW it's a chinese seller off ebay, which I know I'm taking a chance, but such is life... So the one thing that I cannot seem to get any info on is the output. The unit is listed as 45W x 4, but nobody can seem to tell me if it has standard line-level outputs (which I assume I would need to connect it to the Bose amp).

So what are my options if for some reason there are no line outputs? Any way to keep using the Bose amp?

Also does anyone have a recommendation for the steering wheel adapter that works with the Bose amp?

Thanks!

Shdwdrgn , have you completed this install yet? I'd like to hear how it worked out for you. I recently added an AA unit to my Bose system using a GMOS-04 and ASWC-1. It works pretty good but doesn't sound as good at the stock Bose HU....how would I know if my factory amp is working?

Shdwdrgn

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Unfortunately no. I did get both harnesses and the 2DIN adapter plate, but got hit with a couple of hefty, unexpected bills this week, so my paycheck for the month is shot. Hopefully I can get the stereo next month and get started on the install.

If the amp isn't working, you would have pretty low volume coming out of the speakers. If the quality of the sound is suffering, my first inclination would be towards the output from the new stereo being of poor quality?

rizzo20

It doesn't seem quiet, it distorts and the sound quality isn't what I remembered with the stock HU. When I had the Bose HU, I could crank the bass all the way and listen at a very loud volume and there was zero distortion. This was listening to XM radio or CD's. The only thing I have to compare it to is Spotify via Android Auto and a USB drive with mp3's on it.

I went with the Sony XAV-AX100 HU thinking it was of decent quality. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MF9W0GU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Don't get me wrong, the unit looks great (looks kind of factory to me), works really well, especially AA. To my knowledge I wired everything correctly, especially the blue/white wire from the new HU to the b/w wire coming from the 16 pin harness leading to the GMOS-04 which I think controls the factory amp.

*EDIT/UPDATE*
I just noticed something in the instructions, not sure how I missed this:

"Adjusting the GMOS-04 Audio level adjustment: • With the vehicle and radio turned on, turn the volume up 3/4 of the way. • With a small flat-blade screwdriver, adjust the potentiometer clockwise to raise the audio level; counterclockwise to lower the audio level. • Once at a desired level, audio level adjustment is complete."

Would this change the effect that my factory amp has on the new HU?

Last edited:

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
It doesn't seem quiet, it distorts and the sound quality isn't what I remembered with the stock HU. When I had the Bose HU, I could crank the bass all the way and listen at a very loud volume and there was zero distortion. This was listening to XM radio or CD's. The only thing I have to compare it to is Spotify via Android Auto and a USB drive with mp3's on it.

I went with the Sony XAV-AX100 HU thinking it was of decent quality. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MF9W0GU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Don't get me wrong, the unit looks great (looks kind of factory to me), works really well, especially AA. To my knowledge I wired everything correctly, especially the blue/white wire from the new HU to the b/w wire coming from the 16 pin harness leading to the GMOS-04 which I think controls the factory amp.

*EDIT/UPDATE*
I just noticed something in the instructions, not sure how I missed this:

"Adjusting the GMOS-04 Audio level adjustment: • With the vehicle and radio turned on, turn the volume up 3/4 of the way. • With a small flat-blade screwdriver, adjust the potentiometer clockwise to raise the audio level; counterclockwise to lower the audio level. • Once at a desired level, audio level adjustment is complete."

Would this change the effect that my factory amp has on the new HU?
That adjustment caused my friends to distort when cranked. Max volume on the hu was clipping so backing it down and turning that up fixed it. It's gain matching.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I may have missed it but did you use the RCA outputs instead of the speaker outputs? That would cause a lot of distortion as the GMOS is designed for low level outputs.

If that's OK, then adjusting the gain would certainly help. I know I had to adjust mine.

Reactions: rizzo20

rizzo20

I may have missed it but did you use the RCA outputs instead of the speaker outputs? That would cause a lot of distortion as the GMOS is designed for low level outputs.

If that's OK, then adjusting the gain would certainly help. I know I had to adjust mine.

OK, during my lunch break I opened the glove box, dropped it down and managed to reach the GMOS-04 and turned that blue pot screw...... Boom! It came alive! Wow, it sounds amazing! It actually "hits" again. It sounds better than the stock unit for sure now. No noise or whine what so ever. I can't wait for the ride home :smile:

ps. I didn't use any RCA outputs

Reactions: Mooseman

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online