Aftermarket radio wiring

hayes

Original poster
Oct 6, 2013
I am getting ready to install an aftermarket radio. I don't really want to fork over the cash for the wiring harness to keep all the door chimes and such.

My question is; what all do I lose by not getting the adapter? I don't care about steering wheel controls, door and seatbelt chimes, on star... What other features are lost by not using a wiring adapter?

Thanks!

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Only other feature I can think of is the Retained Accessory Power when you turn the key off.

hayes

Original poster
Oct 6, 2013
I never could find out what R.A.P. stood for... Thanks!! Sounds like I can wire the radio in without a harness. Thanks for the info!

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
When I bought my EXT, it had a POS aftermarket single DIN deck hardwired in. No issues functionally, so yeah you'll be fine.

MAY03LT

Nov 18, 2011
Delmarva
One thing worth noting, there is no "switched 12v wire" in the oem radio harness that typically connects to the aftermarket radios red wire. The fancy adapter also provides this connection. But there are several other places where this signal can be found, I used the thick pink wire in the steering column wire harness.

RTTBLT1

Jan 25, 2016
Louisburg, KS
I also just installed a Aftermarket Stereo in the TB.

If you want to go without the special Harness, you could snake/route a single 12V + (red) Wire from the Stereo Harness behind the 4WD & Rear Wiper Switch down around the Instrument Panel right to the Pink Wire @MAY03LT mentioned.

You will need a Test Light as there is more than one Pink Wire.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
I still have the basic harness from my TB, I'll sell for a lot cheaper than a new one, if you're interested to go that route.

Reactions: Matt and Blckshdw

hayes

Original poster
Oct 6, 2013
When I bought my EXT, it had a POS aftermarket single DIN deck hardwired in. No issues functionally, so yeah you'll be fine.

Thanks again!

One thing worth noting, there is no "switched 12v wire" in the oem radio harness that typically connects to the aftermarket radios red wire. The fancy adapter also provides this connection. But there are several other places where this signal can be found, I used the thick pink wire in the steering column wire harness.

I also just installed a Aftermarket Stereo in the TB.

If you want to go without the special Harness, you could snake/route a single 12V + (red) Wire from the Stereo Harness behind the 4WD & Rear Wiper Switch down around the Instrument Panel right to the Pink Wire @MAY03LT mentioned.

You will need a Test Light as there is more than one Pink Wire.

I am not scared of wiring. Thanks for the input on which wires to use!

I still have the basic harness from my TB, I'll sell for a lot cheaper than a new one, if you're interested to go that route.

That kind of depends on the cost... Crutchfield offers them for 50 bucks when you buy a radio. What are you looking to get out of it?

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jonnnnyj

Members Online