Aftermarket Radio does not shut off

HARDTRAILZ

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
Been in the truck for a couple years, it is a single din Alpine, no real issue before except when the battery dies it would not turn on for a couple days. I have done mo electrical work, nothing really has changed, but now it does not turn off automatically. I used the harness/adaptor from sonicelectronix. Any ideas?

Ghoster

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 18, 2011
I would bet the harness you used is toast. The factory set up uses a signal to turn the radio on and off, not like the old days when it was simply attached to the ignition circuit. The adapters/modules that we use when installing aftermarket units do all the on/off work that the oem head unit had built in. So in general, if it WAS working fine, and now it's not, the module has probably lost some of its magic smoke.

HARDTRAILZ

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
Even with everything else working perfectly?

Ghoster

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 18, 2011
Sure. It could be that it's not sensing the OFF signal, so you get constant power. I assume you are turning the head unit off manually. There are other possibilities of course. Could be a problem with the RAP circuit. That's the retained accessory power, it is the circuit that allows the radio, interior lights, windows, etc to still work when you take the key out but haven't opened the door.

HARDTRAILZ

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
I am turning it off manually. I guess I will have to get a new harness. Was really hoping somehow it could justify a new radio instead of a harness...

STLtrailbSS

Dec 4, 2011
Uhh a harness has fresh new wires on it so its only correct to solder/connect to fresh radio wires, all the justice you need right there. Or I could say hardtailz you have so many exterior mods on your truck how about you get a new hu to change things up. JUSTICE

HARDTRAILZ

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
I like it. New needs new. I want a double din something fierce. Just really ups the cost to have to purchase a harness as well.

Regulator

Nov 20, 2011
If I am not mistaken I thought I saw that crutchfield was including the harness if you purchase a radio from them.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk

HARDTRAILZ

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
Crutchfield and sonic offer free harness, but that is for a basic one, they always sell you the right one at a discount, but still not cheap.

Lima Tango

Dec 4, 2011
The good news is those double-din touch screens have become much more affordable over the past couple years, so it would be fiscally irresponsible not to buy one! You'll still need to buy the GMOS-01 or other applicable harness, they don't give em to you free like the simple wiring harnesses of yore.

There was a sale the other day for the below pioneer unit for only $350 that has since gone back up to $450. Keep your eyes out and you can get a great deal esp around the holidays.

Pioneer AVH-P3300BT DVD receiver at Crutchfield.com

JPZ

Dec 4, 2011
Kyle I got a GMS-01 I took out a few months ago Ill sell you cheap. Lem me know if you want it. You can have it for 30 dollars shipped. Nothing wrong with it I just pulled and sold my whole system but it went into a Nissan so I kept the harness.

Wishbone

Dec 5, 2011
I'm using the Scosche GM09SR interface and it does the same thing. It first happened after about 9 months, and I had Amazon replace it. But eventuially the 2nd one did the same thing. I think the interface gets confused or something and locks up with the power to the radio on. From what I've read on several boards, lots of these interfaces do the same thing, Axxess, Metra, etc... In my own practice, it seems like it happens when I have the engine running, open the door, then turn the key off and remove it. It just gets lost in the logic somewhere and that's it! Frustrating...:mad:

I've found if I pull the radio out, pull the interface out of the dash and unplug the thing for about 10 seconds, then put it all back together I'm good for a few months. :confused:

Good luck!

dp28688

Dec 12, 2011
mine died this yr too. i had sorchse one i just wired the switched power to steering harness. kept rest of harness as is.

willn513

Dec 4, 2011
dp28688 said:
mine died this yr too. i had sorchse one i just wired the switched power to steering harness. kept rest of harness as is.

This. Don't buy a new harness just for that one wire. Run pwr to ignition switch and leave all else as is. Problem solved. Although a new head unit and a reason to buy one are always good things..:biggrin:

rugbydelboy

Nov 5, 2012
willn513 said:
This. Don't buy a new harness just for that one wire. Run pwr to ignition switch and leave all else as is. Problem solved. Although a new head unit and a reason to buy one are always good things..:biggrin:

So now I am understanding the idea, can someone give me the colour of the wire in the ignition switch to tie into??

Short Bus

Dec 2, 2011
rugbydelboy said:
So now I am understanding the idea, can someone give me the colour of the wire in the ignition switch to tie into??

You need to find one to tap into.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher