Aftermarket HU Stays on

Dakota76

Original poster
Apr 5, 2012
just installed a Pioneer AVH-1400DVD unit
everything went well but when i take the key out of ignition and open the door it stays on
do i need a special kit or is there a wire i might be missing

Thanks Dak

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Since you're asking about a HU install kit (there are many to choose from, depending on the options in your vehicle, and which ones you want to keep) I'm assuming you hardwired your HU into the truck? The radio harness does not have a switched 12V wire in the bundle, so I am guessing you hooked up the ignition wire on the radio, to the constant 12V wire in the radio harness, and that's causing your problem...

If that's the case, you can follow this thread to get a switched power source, to hook up to the ignition wire on your radio and solve your problem, http://gmtnation.com/f23/battery-positive-voltage-switched-power-2037/. Or you can research the different aftermarket harnesses by Metra/Axxess (the GMOS line of adapters), Scoshe (not widely recommended) and PAC (little more pricey, but tend to be a bit better quality. If you go to sites like Crutchfield.com and Sonicelectronix.com, put in your vehicle info, they will tell you which adapter will fit your application, then go from there. :thumbsup:

Black_tb

Dec 6, 2011
double check your wires use your voltmeter if i remember correctly the red wire should be connected to a constant 12v and the yellow should be connected to a switched 12 to turn it on and off with your truck

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Did you use a Metra Axxess converter? I've had two of them do this exact same thing to me after disconnecting and reconnecting the battery.

Dakota76

Original poster
Apr 5, 2012
Blckshdw
I did use a wire harness (unfortunately it was a Scoshe) ill be changing that asap
I would also like to keep my steering controls as well as my rear seat controls
Right now im tied to the brown wire comming from my temp control unit
but it shuts down when i shut the vehicle off, id like it to do the same as the original and stay on till i open the door

Thanks DAK

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online