After market power steering parts.

coolride

Original poster
Aug 23, 2019
Adirondacks
I thought I ordered an OEM high pressure power steering hose. When it was delivered I realized that it's after market. The OEM part is almost $200 more.

Anyone have experience with these after market hoses? If it's junk, I'll send it right back.

ps8.JPG

ps9.JPG

coolride

Original poster
Aug 23, 2019
Adirondacks
There's a big price difference between GM OEM parts and the ACDelco Pro line.

-ACDelco Pro 36-365451 is the high pressure line. $89.42 listed on amazon.

-GM OE 2609537 is the high pressure line. $265 on amazon.

Country of origin is USA on the ACDelco part. I'm returning the Chinese part today.

Any thoughts about the quality of ACDelco Pro as compared to the GM OE?

cornchip

Jan 6, 2013
Thoughts. All three are going to rot out despite the flag they were built under. I used what I was given across the parts counter....Asian. Not wanting to do this repair anytime soon, I sprayed the tube portions of the lines with Chassis Saver that I has laying around from a project. So far I have no rust after 6 years or so.

coolride

Original poster
Aug 23, 2019
Adirondacks
Well the originals lasted 15 years in a road salt State. It's quality of materials and workmanship that I'm concerned about.

I am considering painting the new lines.

Last edited:

cornchip

Jan 6, 2013
Were they OEM or aftermarket?
Those were the original factory lines. About the only thing you could do better is make the tube portion from stainless steel. Above even that, I thought about machining an adapter at the rack to convert to 'AN' style fittings and get a custom hose set made at a hydraulic shop. I would use a Parker push lock hose for the return routed to an aluminum cooler upfront.

FYI.... I did a similar setup with my 4200 swap in a Jeep YJ. These will last a lifetime.

y4mnp3OfkQdEJ4QV2BVieNBqxzKVJ0cXBlkQExoo9MF5Fch4p8NvTW_bXMMI1HCtQ5VpomenBrms_FXGAuHNK5iQBRegETph3P8sVyl5P2v8PcC2CFwcKkjvzAS_3Z7UaC2R-VFEbvSyRB8LtyHTsF1MgyljlrJ5vANe8qL7124_H904qCWQR49TvRKRUbpsS1Q

y4mExk_j84ZSv8O06Fe7EUwKF0yxZQYmZyB1RzPUPOEkiadVfz_U8s75DKnsrLvZfQQ0jVydUa-nEVAZLdBU3xXooyohPV27QWCXAcqzehF42bf0mFS_hSQDXj_wroX5VYHyE-4XNoGbe8y90uDiQwJ_EAbC0d9aeo5nzt-ujBIC9df0MKh-hwRScTUDp9rQzow

y4mKkqJUBjaU6YqE38-ucXIRwXf1aujJx0UMCwiyfyZJrMhfEMVRX1TGk2_UGE7ut-FLWNNdjQhqp8iQ1PKn_cSeDTMAb2QMexsa2L0pmzc0XVcTnK07lJRo9Oyjl3TCm2ustejyMCHzld5M5u_nBP6GiE9xOEqTMgAgwJD4egzQA_glSBI3F_ufMVQRYmRtVDm

Mektek

May 2, 2017
FL
I would suggest paining the steel tubes with rustoleum paint. That should give you a few extra years of life.
All of your options regardless of price are probably made in china.

coolride

Original poster
Aug 23, 2019
Adirondacks
And you could just grease them up. They are mostly accessible for that purpose just by popping the hood.

Many things are still made all over the world. Not just China.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
The realities of a world economy however I've seen stuff made in the USA or Canada that was pure junk worse than China. However, you have to wonder when you see THIS:

Chaina.jpg

coolride

Original poster
Aug 23, 2019
Adirondacks
Am I right, that the TB is a mix of metric and SAE?

My best guess here is, the high pressure line connects to the power steering pump with a 5/8's inch nut. (Because none of my metric stuff fits.)
ps25.JPG

Just home from Harbor Freight with some SAE wrenches.
ps24.JPG

cornchip

Jan 6, 2013

My best guess here is, the high pressure line connects to the power steering pump with a 5/8's inch nut. (Because none of my metric stuff fits.)
View attachment 102171

Just home from Harbor Freight with some SAE wrenches.
View attachment 102172

Pump is metric and used to be 16mm before the rust. Unless I'm mistaken.....everything else you will encounter will be metric as well. Use what ever fits best.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
The majority are metric however there are some that are SAE like the diff internals and U-Joint strap bolts (no, they're not 11mm, they're 7/16). Some sizes are similar between each other. I often use my 7/8 and 15/16 wrenches for A/C connections. And like @cornchip said, rust can also change the size.

coolride

Original poster
Aug 23, 2019
Adirondacks
This is sooo 5/8's. There's surface rust, but nothing to write home about. (Was holding by only about 2 threads.)
ps26.JPG

Last edited:

coolride

Original poster
Aug 23, 2019
Adirondacks
Frame primed and with one coat of black.
ps29.JPG

Have reached a "what next" phase of this project. I'll remove the line brackets, on the driver's side frame. The bolts are not easy to get a hold of.
ps28.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: NJTB and Mooseman

coolride

Original poster
Aug 23, 2019
Adirondacks
Luckily, the bolts came out (Required a 6 point 10mm. The 12 point spun freely.) These brackets are obviously toast... Anyone have a spare set for sale?
ps30.JPG

Last edited:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Not here. They rust away to dust. Doubt they're still available new. Maybe try doing something with zip ties.

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
Seeing what @coolride has done with those parts, gives me hope for my Envoy, which looks much like his did before he started (and the rear end of the truck is worse, even).

The majority are metric however there are some that are SAE like the diff internals and U-Joint strap bolts (no, they're not 11mm, they're 7/16). Some sizes are similar between each other.
Funny you mention the strap bolts -- I've always used the 11mm, and recently tried the 7/16, b/c I misplaced my 11mm 3/8" thinwall. The SAE might be the 'right' size, but I thought the 11mm fit better, TBH.

For those wanting a cross-reference... I found this a few years ago, and keep a copy near the toolboxes, where I can see it

Attachments

• Standard-MetricWrenchChart.pdf
    46.5 KB · Views: 7

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
You can tell by the hardness markings on the bolt heads. Metric have numerical (i.e. 8.8) while the SAE have lines (3, 5 and 8 pointing to the corners).

Some metric wrenches and sockets do fit tighter on SAE bolts and vice-versa. I use a 21mm impact socket with a slit cut in it for O2 sensors instead of the actual 7/8 sensor socket because it fits perfectly tight on it and less chance of stripping. It's probably the same between 7/16 and 11mm.

Reactions: coolride

coolride

Original poster
Aug 23, 2019
Adirondacks
These seals were NOT easy to remove.
ps34.JPG

Mix-match:

The new pressure line, and the new return line, have different seal designs. The groves for the brace plate line up exactly. Will this combo leak?
ps35.JPG

Last edited:

coolride

Original poster
Aug 23, 2019
Adirondacks
The cross member under the steering rack looks good, painted in Smoke Grey. The two long thin bolts, in front, should probably be replaced at some point. They show a bit too much corrosion.
ps44.JPG

Last edited:

coolride

Original poster
Aug 23, 2019
Adirondacks
I cut the old lines into pieces, to make removal easier. They have a core of steel flex hose, and that surprised me. I'm guessing this is a pressure side thing, but didn't pay much attention as I was pulling the lines out. The ID of the flex hose is smaller than the ID of the normal steel sections. I wonder if this constriction puts a strain on the pump?
ps45.JPG

ps46.JPG

Last edited:

coolride

Original poster
Aug 23, 2019
Adirondacks
Ordered this for lubricating the various rubber "bushings" that support the lines, and also for rust prevention. (I think it's made from castor beans and that makes it safe for rubber.)
ps49.JPG

Last edited:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Firebaugh86

Members Online

No members online now.