After doing drl killer for hids...

Voymom

Feb 3, 2012
silvernclean said:
I have 10000k for the highs w/ the 35w. And 6000k for lows 35w. And yea cleared over the original lens and long story short f***ed up one lens. Bought reg.'s extra set from him. So I am planning on just totally blacking out the other pair just for shits and giggles.

How are the lights at night? Are they bright enough? I heard the more Kelvins the less effective, so I wasn't sure? I'm thinking of doing the 10000k but wasn't sure about light output as everything here is dark as hell at night being in the middle of nowhere lol And yes I to learned the hard way about clear coating the heads with the VHT...it turned the VHT blue and gunky. Tried wet sanding afterwards and that was 10x worse lol so we cleaned them off and redid the VHT and skipped putting a clear coat on them. I'm thinking of playing with some plexi glass and making head light covers that are the same shape as the circles and open on the amber...maybe closed on the amber but haven't asked hubby about it yet as far as if it will even be something that would work.

I was half tempted to just spray paint the bitches :biggrin:

jrSS

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
ad92c190-3df5-22a0.jpg
these are the lows. 6000k. The camera on the phone made em look really blue. They really aren't that blue. I can get a pic of the highs tonight.

Voymom

Feb 3, 2012
silvernclean said:
ad92c190-3df5-22a0.jpg
these are the lows. 6000k. The camera on the phone made em look really blue. They really aren't that blue. I can get a pic of the highs tonight.

Yeah we have the 6000k for the low beams too. I need to "match" my highs though lol I'm going with a 3000k fog but I don't know if I want to do an HID kit for them yet or not. I'm still debating on doing the HID for the highs.

jrSS

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
I am gonna go with leds for fogs. They look bright as hell.

Voymom

Feb 3, 2012
silvernclean said:
I am gonna go with leds for fogs. They look bright as hell.

Yeah the 3000k is the amber or bright yellow. I wanted to do the LED's for fogs but getting the yellow I want I think would be hard. Hubby thinks the LED's would be way to bright to actually have function in heavy fog as we get fog here a lot to where schools get 2-3hr delay's. But then again even the OEM fog lights suck donkey danglies in heavy fog lol Who cares if it works, I just want it to look good :biggrin:

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Voymom said:
Yeah the 3000k is the amber or bright yellow. I wanted to do the LED's for fogs but getting the yellow I want I think would be hard. Hubby thinks the LED's would be way to bright to actually have function in heavy fog as we get fog here a lot to where schools get 2-3hr delay's. But then again even the OEM fog lights suck donkey danglies in heavy fog lol Who cares if it works, I just want it to look good :biggrin:

Seriously? Did you really just say that? :rotfl:

Voymom

Feb 3, 2012

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
You guys do realize that LED's fogs are a fail on light output. If you want them for looks and can deal with just lows for light output then go for it. If you want light then HID's or stick to the OEM's lol LED's are short distance and do not give off a lot of light for long distance front of the truck. Yeah the 6k are not that blue, my camera has done that before a good amount of times :no: pictures do lights no justice at all!

Here are my lights and this is a pretty good picture of it showing the color, I have 6k DDMtuning kit
photo121.jpg

Also VoyMom yes the higher you go on the lights the more light you loose. The best on light output on low beams are 4300k (cannot do 3000k because cops can hit you for too yellow and bright of headlights, 3000k are pretty much illegal for lows, can only be for fogs) or you can do 5k for bright white with almost no blue what so ever. Also I recommend you put some clear coat on the headlights because with that it wont protect the VHT and that stuff will fade away and wont look good. Not sure why your clear did what it did, but try another brand and spray them on in light coats because it shouldn't do that. Also when wet sanding that does help in smoothness quite a bit also

jrSS

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Yes I know leds do not produce any "useful" light. They look good tho. My hid lows are bright enuf for me to get around with.

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
silvernclean said:
Yes I know leds do not produce any "useful" light. They look good tho. My hid lows are bright enuf for me to get around with.

If you like it go for it then!! Get a pair of those led halos projectors and put some LED's in there :cool:

Voymom

Feb 3, 2012
ItsOnVoy said:
You guys do realize that LED's fogs are a fail on light output. If you want them for looks and can deal with just lows for light output then go for it. If you want light then HID's or stick to the OEM's lol LED's are short distance and do not give off a lot of light for long distance front of the truck. Yeah the 6k are not that blue, my camera has done that before a good amount of times :no: pictures do lights no justice at all!

Here are my lights and this is a pretty good picture of it showing the color, I have 6k DDMtuning kit
photo121.jpg

Also VoyMom yes the higher you go on the lights the more light you loose. The best on light output on low beams are 4300k (cannot do 3000k because cops can hit you for too yellow and bright of headlights, 3000k are pretty much illegal for lows, can only be for fogs) or you can do 5k for bright white with almost no blue what so ever. Also I recommend you put some clear coat on the headlights because with that it wont protect the VHT and that stuff will fade away and wont look good. Not sure why your clear did what it did, but try another brand and spray them on in light coats because it shouldn't do that. Also when wet sanding that does help in smoothness quite a bit also

Yeah I have the 6k for my lows, as far as light output on the fogs...It will be a trial and error on what I like honestly....but I am going for the 3000k yellow color for my fogs. I'm not to worried about my VHT fading, like I said before it was so easy I wouldn't mind just redoing them once they did fade, but hubby and I will be coming up with a way to make headlight covers for them. We used 4 types of very expensive clear coat and all of them turned my VHT blue and caked off when trying to wet sand, and that was with a 24hr cure/drying time too.....So I give up :thumbsup:

But then again it could have been the beer lol The more beer I drink the less patience I have :biggrin:

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
Voymom said:
Yeah I have the 6k for my lows, as far as light output on the fogs...It will be a trial and error on what I like honestly....but I am going for the 3000k yellow color for my fogs. I'm not to worried about my VHT fading, like I said before it was so easy I wouldn't mind just redoing them once they did fade, but hubby and I will be coming up with a way to make headlight covers for them. We used 4 types of very expensive clear coat and all of them turned my VHT blue and caked off when trying to wet sand, and that was with a 24hr cure/drying time too.....So I give up :thumbsup:

But then again it could have been the beer lol The more beer I drink the less patience I have :biggrin:

Oh man I see your problem now!!! Try clear coat without beer this time and maybe they will be clear and not blue :rotfl::raspberry::tongue: lol JK! But yeah 3k will give you a ton of light for sure...its all on looks from there. Do you want piss yellow or do you want to step it up to white with the 6k lows. :thumbsup:

Voymom

Feb 3, 2012
ItsOnVoy said:
Oh man I see your problem now!!! Try clear coat without beer this time and maybe they will be clear and not blue :rotfl::raspberry::tongue: lol JK! But yeah 3k will give you a ton of light for sure...its all on looks from there. Do you want piss yellow or do you want to step it up to white with the 6k lows. :thumbsup:

I want piss yellow!! It makes me smile :biggrin: And yes I have been working on a 6pk :thumbsup: It's party night for mamma

Sorry for hijacking Jeff!!!! :grouphug:

jrSS

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Its all good. I think we've hi jacked this thread long ago.

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
Voymom said:
I want piss yellow!! It makes me smile :biggrin: And yes I have been working on a 6pk :thumbsup: It's party night for mamma

Sorry for hijacking Jeff!!!! :grouphug:

haha then go for the 3k!! Will give you a ton of light thats for sure :yes:

We need to see pictures of what is done once its done you two!! :biggrin:

Voymom

Feb 3, 2012
ItsOnVoy said:
haha then go for the 3k!! Will give you a ton of light thats for sure :yes:

We need to see pictures of what is done once its done you two!! :biggrin:

I already put pics of my HID low beams on the "What did you do to your GMT today" Thread.

As far as mods go we are slowing down a bit until hubby picks up his weekend shift again or until I can start bringing in some money one way or another.

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
Voymom said:
I already put pics of my HID low beams on the "What did you do to your GMT today" Thread.

As far as mods go we are slowing down a bit until hubby picks up his weekend shift again or until I can start bringing in some money one way or another.

Yeah I feel ya on that!! I have not been getting a ton of hours and none at sometimes so I got to be careful with money

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ljoh.sl6

Members Online

No members online now.