AFM - DOD fix?

Baddawg

Original poster
Sep 24, 2016
Colorado
My 2008 SAAB 9-7x with 5.3 V8, M code, which makes it a LH6, right?
Quit running but turns over, towed it off I-70 to the shop, they say it needs an engine and they don't want to do it.
I think I found another mechanic to help me out, how do I proceed?

This engine has the DOD system, I think?
When I pull the engine, if it is beyond repair can I put in a no DOD engine? What engine should I look for?
When I do the engine swap do I also need to tune the ECM to make it work?
Any other advice that I'm missing?

Thanks for the help.

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Double Check your VIN AND your Saab RPO Sticker Information against what is listed in this Comprehensive Chart on "Which LS Engine Goes with What Platform?" Article(s) Parts 1 & 2 :

"How Do I Proceed...?"

You Need A PLAN.... And THAT always starts by Asking Questions... Like THESE:

(1) Is your Mechanic a Professional with PRIOR Experience with performing LS Engine R&R Swaps? If NOT, he will be useless to you if things begin to 'go sideways'.

(2) Has he suggested any particular direction to go yet? This means...is he intent upon Re-Building the Engine...WITH a $600.00 Additional Cost for a DOD Elimination Kit... or Opting for a GOOD LOW-MILEAGE USED NON-DOD LS Engine?

(3) How much Research have You done by simply "Googling" "How To Build (and or SWAP) a NON-DOD Engine and park it inside of a Saab 9-7X"....? If you Do NOT improve your own knowledge about EVERYTHING involving possible replacement engines... then you won't know What is either Good ...or Bad about the One You Choose to SWAP into the Saab.

Your Local Book Store or Amazon Sells THIS Book ...worth EVERY Penny to Bring you up to Speed:

HOW2REBUILDTHELSENGINE.jpg

(4) Are you a Skilled Mechanic... or will you be Okay with Throwing Money at this Problem and Paying Dearly Through The Nose? If not... you owe it to yourself to get better informed about the TCO (Total Cost of Ownership) of such a Big Project. If NOT... Prepare yourself to ... BOHICA, Brother.

(5) Have You Priced out the Basic Short Block and ALL of the Necessary Optional Repair Kit(s) and Components needed to go inside the Engine? These things may become necessities should a LOT of work have to be done if the Junk-Yard Motor you Buy turns out to be a Boat Anchor. Before You make any moves... You will need to know these things... and MUCH MORE before deciding one way or another on which Path to Take..

(6) Are you in a RUSH to get this Done? If not ...and you do not require this Saab as your Daily Driver... then you have plenty of time to PLAN WELL.

Last edited:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
My 2008 SAAB 9-7x with 5.3 V8, M code, which makes it a LH6, right?

Yes it does.

Quit running but turns over

How did it quit? Just stalled or there was noises when it died? If it turns over and sounds like normal, it doesn't sound like a catastrophic engine failure. Was a compression test done? I'd get a second opinion on why it's not running.

This engine has the DOD system, I think?

Yes

When I pull the engine, if it is beyond repair can I put in a no DOD engine? What engine should I look for?

Yes, there have been some that used an iron block truck engine without DOD instead of the aluminum LH6 version with DOD. Non DOD aluminum block LM4 are rare, only in some 03-04 EXT/XL.

When I do the engine swap do I also need to tune the ECM to make it work?

If deleting DOD, yes.

Baddawg

Original poster
Sep 24, 2016
Colorado
Double Check your VIN AND your Saab RPO Sticker Information against what is listed in this Comprehensive Chart on "Which LS Engine Goes with What Platform?" Article(s) Parts 1 & 2 :

"How Do I Proceed...?"

(1) Is your Mechanic a Professional with PRIOR Experience with performing LS Engine R&R Swaps? If NOT, he will be useless to you if things begin to 'go sideways'.

(2) Has he suggested any particular direction to go yet? This means...is he intent upon Re-Building the Engine...WITH a $600.00 Additional Cost for a DOD Elimination Kit... or Opting for a GOOD LOW-MILEAGE USED NON-DOD LS Engine?

(3) How much Research have You done by simply "Googling" "How To Build (and or SWAP) a NON-DOD Engine and park it inside of a Saab 9-7X"....? If you Do NOT improve your own knowledge about EVERYTHING involving possible replacement engines... then you won't know What is either Good ...or Bad about the One You Choose to SWAP into the Saab.

Your Local Book Store or Amazon Sells THIS Book ...worth EVERY Penny to Bring you up to Speed:

View attachment 89906

(4) Are you a Skilled Mechanic... or will you be Okay with Throwing Money at this Problem and Paying Dearly Through The Nose? If not... you owe it to yourself to get better informed about the TCO (Total Cost of Ownership) of such a Big Project. If NOT... Prepare yourself to ... BOHICA, Brother.

(5) Have You Priced out the Basic Short Block and ALL of the Necessary Optional Repair Kit(s) and Components needed to go inside the Engine? These things may become necessities should a LOT of work have to be done if the Junk-Yard Motor you Buy turns out to be a Boat Anchor. Before You make any moves... You will need to know these things... and MUCH MORE before deciding one way or another on which Path to Take..

(6) Are you in a RUSH to get this Done? If not ...and you do not require this Saab as your Daily Driver... then you have plenty of time to PLAN WELL.

"How Do I Proceed...?"

View attachment 89906

Thanks, MRRSM.
Yes all that plan well is just what I am trying to do.
I don't have the skills and resources to do it myself and I'm trying to find an acceptable answer.
Finding what seems to be good , honest mechanic that could repair what might be a valve train failure has been a challenge.
An engine swap would cost from$1500 + for a used engine to $3000 + for a new rebuild LH6 , and buying another AFM problem.
My plan is to hopefully find a mechanic that I can feel good about to pull, examine and repair existing engine or find a new replacement without AFM.
Thanks

Baddawg

Original poster
Sep 24, 2016
Colorado
Yes it does.

How did it quit? Just stalled or there was noises when it died? If it turns over and sounds like normal, it doesn't sound like a catastrophic engine failure. Was a compression test done? I'd get a second opinion on why it's not running.

Yes

Yes, there have been some that used an iron block truck engine without DOD instead of the aluminum LH6 version with DOD. Non DOD aluminum block LM4 are rare, only in some 03-04 EXT/XL.

If deleting DOD, yes.

Thanks, Mooseman.
This pretty much confirms what I thought.
Maybe I can find the mechanic to look at the engine and repair what I got. If I need to replace I would like to find a compatible non- AFM replacement.
Thanks for your help, you seem very knowledgeable on these.

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
You have not mentioned what the Mileage on your Saab is to date ...nor mentioned the general condition and regular maintenance that has been performed.... but the truth is...unless you have been just ridiculously careless with this Vehicle...it is damned near impossible to Kill AN LS Engine. I'm linking you to some YouTube Videos which might give you some pause about the actual need to Swap in a New/Gently Used / Or a Re-Built Engine.

Watch this Guy called "The Sloppy Mechanic" as he Tears Down a variety of REALLY, Gnarly Junk YARD LS Engine Pulls that he simply swaps in New Performance Camshafts... replaces a few errant parts... and then this Crazy SOB Turbo-Charges them up to around 800-1,000 Horse Power for Drag Racing. He does all of this... without ever removing and replacing Pistons and Rings, Camshaft Bearings and Crankshaft Bearings... Hell... HE DOESN'T EVEN CLEAN UP THESE ENGINES BEFORE DOING THESE THINGS! (Which Frankly... Just Drives me INSANE!).

The point is... Just because your vehicle stopped running and had to be "Towed Home"...Does NOT necessarily mean that a Complete Engine Swap is required... Unless you have been using Orange Juice and Beach Sand mixed in with Motor Oil during your Engine Oil Changes.

And just so you know... if you suggest to any Mechanic that "I think I want a Different Engine..." The ones that are Quality Mechanics will tell you... "Why don't we run some tests on this engine ...First...and make SURE this is really such a serious problem that demands an Engine Swap...Okay?" .

The Ones that may not know how to go about these tests...or The Ones who heard "Cha-Ching..." Just after you mentioned 'Wanting a Motor Swap' and then take no steps to find out anything about the Engine inside of the Saab... THOSE Guys are "The Ones" to avoid like The Plague. Watching a few of these Videos might even de-mystify the whole "Engine Swap" business and you can ignore all of the stuff about "Turbo-Charging and Tuning" since you will not be doing those things. Just enjoy being entertained while you watch HIM Getting Greasy and Dirty and you will learn so much from just looking over his shoulder:

PS... Who says that YOU can't become a Decent Mechanic...Too?

I JUST Found the BEST Article on the Topic of "Building a High Performance LS Engine Based on the LM7 Platform". If nothing else... THIS data will inform you about the Various Performance Components that will allow you to Modify a Cable Driven NON-DOD Style LS Engine to consider your Options for preparing any Junk Yard LS Engine for your Saab.

NOT Everything explained here is really necessary. in your situation, but there is enough information present hete to give you a Leg Up in Understanding how others perform Engine Swaps on the Cross-Compatible LS Platform... and WHY They Choose to do Certain Things in Certain Ways:

Last edited:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online