NEED HELP advise for poor radio reception

No Tyme

Original poster
Jun 23, 2015
Monroe County Michigan
I am disappointed in my am/fm radio's reception and before I just start throwing money at it I thought I would post and see if others had a similar issue and if so what they did to fix the problem. I am the second owner and it doesn't appear that the truck has been messed with much. I have the Bose 6 cd unit and beside a hum in the left front channel from time to time I am happy with the sound, just getting tired of my cd's and wanting to use the radio more.

DAlastDON

Apr 6, 2014
Kentucky
I would start by checking the antenna connection behind the radio. May have had an after market radio before and previous owner did not reconnect it when the stock radio was put back in before being sold.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Also, do you have HIDs by chance?

If so, turn off the lights completely (no DRL) and see if it improves any.

Some HIDs can create noise in radio reception.

No Tyme

Original poster
Jun 23, 2015
Monroe County Michigan
No HID headlights. I run Philips Crystal Vision Ultra headlights (in both trucks). I am the second owner of this truck and doubt any aftermarket radio was ever in here but I have thought about checking the antenna plug just to make sure its fully inserted. I figure I will have to pull the radio to do that...

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Do you have a rear DVD by any chance? Mine does and it had an FM modulator box inline in the antenna wire.

BlazingTrails

Apr 27, 2014
In response to the title.....digital media is the only clear music lol

I worked on my factory antenna and then installed a complete after market antenna with a new cable and still can't get good reception. I have adapted to listening to pandora and my thumb drive on my head unit.

Reactions: No Tyme

No Tyme

Original poster
Jun 23, 2015
Monroe County Michigan
No rear entertainment system. I plan on checking the base of the antenna's connection and go from there.
It's definitely a reception issue because the stations can be clear one moment and loose that good reception the next. I am in a rural area and most of my other vehicles do have better reception so my first thought is antenna or ground. Just wasn't sure where to look first.

Mathoran

May 3, 2012
I had perfect reception with my factory radio, but when I put in an aftermarket radio my reception was terrible. Fix for me was adding an HD radio module. Reception is perfect now and sounds so much clearer than regular FM. CD quality. I never realized how bad FM sounded till the change.

I don't know if they make them for factory head units though.

Reactions: No Tyme

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Firebaugh86

Members Online