NEED HELP Advice on '05 TB Roof Rack Upgrades?

Robes

Original poster
Jun 24, 2016
Big Fork, Montana
Hello All-
My 1st post here. I've spent allot of time searching for a stronger cross bar system for my factory roof rack. I have a Thule Atlantis 1800 cargo box which has collapsed the weak cross bars. All I can find that will work in this rail system is by Yakima and the price seems outrageous to me. Everything has to be bought separately and although they seem to have lots of different systems, the TB gets only the newest and most expensive components made, no other options available on there site.

For example; my '05 TB lists out as this:48'roundbar $89.00, skyline towers $295.00, Landing Pads x2 @ $96.00, end caps $10.00, roundbar SL adapters $30.00 which comes to ~ $520.00. Really........? And this does not include the locking mechanism!

Anyone, know of something practical that's available out there? and I thought replacement GM crossbars were out of line at $200.00 apiece

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
Reactions: Robes

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
Yakima has chosen to still carry roof rack parts for our outdated platform. Thule use to have a system so maybe they can give you data on what to look for used or new old stock. Our OEM cross bars are only rated at 200LBS each. What are you carrying that weighs so much up there?

You could always make up your own crossbars that will help support the weight. I have a roof basket and don't use the OEM bars.

Reactions: Capote

Robes

Original poster
Jun 24, 2016
Big Fork, Montana
What are you carrying that weighs so much up there?

You could always make up your own crossbars that will help support the weight. I have a roof basket and don't use the OEM bars.
Thanks for your replies. I think with the harsh sun and a little weight, box alone, as well as age, it has been enough to exhaust the cross bars. I do think I'll simply have to shore up the cross bars with wood blocks (between bar and roof) to hold them in position. The alternatives, actually quote far less load capacities over the stock weight limits. I've asked on TrailVoy and Chevrolet/trailblazer forums and get no replies so just supporting the old stock cross bars are apparently the fix. Nothing available from 3rd parties unless you simply live to be gouged.

SnowBlazer

Jun 9, 2014
Colorado Springs
. I've asked on TrailVoy
That's one of your problems. The guys that use that forum today are usually the least helpful and have the very basic knowledge about our platform. He'll, most of those guys probably think we have a v6....

Back on topic about your roof basket, I've seen guys on Offroadtb fab up some cross bars out of box tubing, some bolts, nuts and washers. Not too difficult really, I would imagine. That Skybox should have universal mounts to mount to your custom bars, if you choose to go that route.

I thought about running the Q Towers and longer cross bars so I could have a roof basket and a bike mount up there. But ultimately it all came down to price, which was too rich for my wallet.

DAlastDON

Apr 6, 2014
Kentucky
That's one of your problems. The guys that use that forum today are usually the least helpful and have the very basic knowledge about our platform. He'll, most of those guys probably think we have a v6....

Back on topic about your roof basket, I've seen guys on Offroadtb fab up some cross bars out of box tubing, some bolts, nuts and washers. Not too difficult really, I would imagine. That Skybox should have universal mounts to mount to your custom bars, if you choose to go that route.

I thought about running the Q Towers and longer cross bars so I could have a roof basket and a bike mount up there. But ultimately it all came down to price, which was too rich for my wallet.

When you say washers, the washers go into the factory rails, then position cross bar where you want then tighten the nut on top the crossbar down to lock it in place?

Im scheming up a easily removable fishing rod holder so i do not have rod tips right next to my head while driving.

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
If you use super strut you really need to pull off the roof rails and make up the rails and everything from super struts.

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
Why is that?

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
If you pull the original roof rails you put the super strut down and I think you need a washer to reuse the current rail mounts. Then you can use all of the suprstrut hardware. Also this will allow it to handle more weight without a major issue.

http://forums.offroadtb.com/viewtopic.php?f=59&t=1870&hilit=superstrut

There is someone that just replaced the cross bars http://forums.offroadtb.com/viewtopic.php?f=76&t=2305&p=113567&hilit=superstrut#p113567 But I think he ended up changing it all out too.

Reactions: Matt

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MEHMET ONUR

Members Online