Ads

Black LT

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Well, hate to complain already but - maybe it's just me but I'd rather have another banner ad than those darn googlead double click things.
Try to go back a page and it does nothing. Try to remember to double click - sometimes yes, sometimes no, sometimes too far, ... arrghh.

recon6196

Dec 4, 2011
Use Firefox with Adblock
I don't see any ads on the page (or in the history)

Upvote 0

Black LT

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
... but I thought part of the reason for leaving was the need for ad block, now we need it here too?
What is it? Why is it?

Upvote 0

Jman423

Administrator
Mar 24, 2014
United States
Black LT said:
... but I thought part of the reason for leaving was the need for ad block, now we need it here too?
What is it? Why is it?

I don't know how you are seeing that, but I am also using FireFox with no adblocker and I don't see that. Something is odd.

Upvote 0

lint

Dec 4, 2011
I have used Firefox with adblock ,then adblock plus for so long . And just started using chrome with adblock plus ,And is working better than it used too, Starting to like it a lot.Point is I don't see any ads ether . And it's been so long since I used IE Don't know if I can.

Upvote 0

Ghoster

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 18, 2011
Black LT said:
What is it? Why is it?

I am not seeing it with Firefox or Safari. I will have to wait until my wife gets home to check IE on her computer, but she is using a very old version of IE for work.:cool:

Upvote 0

Wyle

Dec 4, 2011
Black LT said:
If you right click on the 'back arrow', it shows previous pages. Here is what I randomly get.

I've been fighting that for months. Never use back button anymore. Have to right click for recent history and pick 2nd/3rd/4th entry to get past damn Googleclick ads. Just realized today that its an IE thing since it was happening at work and didn't happen all weekend at home with Firefox. So work blocks half the planet, but not Google ads. Thats like them plugging the monitors into the UPSs and not the towers. :duh:

Upvote 0

Ghoster

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 18, 2011
I checked on the wife's computer, and it's not doing that on hers. Her computer is a work laptop and they block out most everything. We will look and see if anything can be done on our end, but I suspect this is just a downside of IE.

Upvote 0

fishsticks

Nov 21, 2011
djthumper said:
IE has an upside?

Only if you deal with IP based surveillance cameras. None of them seem to be able to make a decent web viewer in anything but ActiveX. :no:

Upvote 0

Black LT

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
This is getting a little side tracked, but since it keeps being brought up;
Is busting on IE like people hating on JL? Not really anything wrong with it - just like busting on it.

Like with this issue - yeah, I have a problem Firefox people don't. But, just because you can't see it, means it isn't there??

Upvote 0

Ghoster

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 18, 2011
Black LT said:
This is getting a little side tracked, but since it keeps being brought up;
Is busting on IE like people hating on JL? Not really anything wrong with it - just like busting on it.

Like with this issue - yeah, I have a problem Firefox people don't. But, just because you can't see it, means it isn't there??

:rotfl:

All browsers have an upside and a downside. The real problem is that you can't optimize a sites performance for all of them. If we make it perfect in Firefox, then IE has issues, and chrome will be ok, but not great. Safari just sucks, I don't even want to think about it. Some block certain content, others let anything in, which is just as bad. It really comes down to each user finding the one they are the most comfortable with.

That said, I will always make fun of IE. Making fun of IE is required in the user agreement for the Mac!:biggrin:

Upvote 0

Porkins

Dec 5, 2011
Only have this problem on GMN? Also, what version of IE are you using? I'm trying to replicate it.

Upvote 0

Black LT

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
OK - I'll try to figure something out.

No sense for you to worry about something only affecting one or two people (I know you would if you could) - you have enough going on - and we thank you.

Upvote 0

Jman423

Administrator
Mar 24, 2014
United States
Black LT said:
OK - I'll try to figure something out.

No sense for you to worry about something only affecting one or two people (I know you would if you could) - you have enough going on - and we thank you.

If you find some more info that suggests it is the site, I will gladly look into it, but at this point, I think it is either something with IE, or something with you computer (trojan/virus/bot).

Upvote 0

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Does it do it every time or only sometimes? I opened up IE9 and so far it hasn't happened to me yet.

Upvote 0

Porkins

Dec 5, 2011
Sparky said:
Does it do it every time or only sometimes? I opened up IE9 and so far it hasn't happened to me yet.

Yeah, I've even tried to visit the same pages also with no luck. Only thing I can think of is and Jman already suggested it is a bug/virus. If you have SpyBot Search & Destory I would suggest looking to see if you have one.

Upvote 0

Jman423

Administrator
Mar 24, 2014
United States
I know that some of you are still having this problem, but it has nothing to do with us, and there is nothing we can do to fix it. Aside from placing simple Google Adsense code in specific areas of our template, we do not control the ads or how they are served. The only option would be to disable our ads, and then we wouldn't be able to offset the cost of hosting this site and/or future feature expansions.

While I hate to blame IE, it always seems that when there is a complaint about something not working right, it is an IE user. IE does it's own thing, and it is a real pain in the ass for any web developer/designer. FireFox, Chrome, Opera, Safari... they all work the way they should, and IE doesn't.

All I can recommend is that you try another browser. Comments that say it happens only here and not elsewhere... that just means that other sites may not be running Google Ads. I can assure you that our Google Ad execution is the same as it would be for anyone else; they give me the code and I paste it into the template... that's it!

Frankly, I am tired of IE. It tends to be the only browser that can mess up a great looking page... the same page that EVERY other browser renders without a problem. Why do you think that IE is the only browser with a compatibility mode?

Upvote 0

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online