Adjusting Headlights with HID's...So I don't blind anyone on the road.

Voymom

Original poster
Feb 3, 2012
Any info on how to adjust the head lights properly so I don't blind anyone on the road?

Thanks in advance!

03TB93

Mar 25, 2012
im assuming that the voy and trailblazer are the same.. but the little white gear looking knobs on the top of the light housing (you have to pop the hood to get to them) turn them clockwise i believe to lower them. park about 15 ft from a wide/ level wall and adjust til they are about 2 ft off the ground.
thats how mine are. i can still see perfectly without blinding anyone to bad. its right in the middle :thumbsup:

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
Yupp that's what it is. It's a white knob and you need a hex driver to turn it. The passenger side was a pain for me since I have big hands but the driver side is easier to get to. I personally made mine higher because they were way too low and I have not had a problem

Voymom

Original poster
Feb 3, 2012
ItsOnVoy said:
Yupp that's what it is. It's a white knob and you need a hex driver to turn it. The passenger side was a pain for me since I have big hands but the driver side is easier to get to. I personally made mine higher because they were way too low and I have not had a problem

Found it! Now do the lights need to go up or down or how do I know it won't blind anyone?

03TB93

Mar 25, 2012
i just adjusted mine up and down and went and stood infront of it (about 15 ft away) til it wasnt shining right in my chest/ face.. more in the knee area. than check again when it gets really dark out

jham

Nov 20, 2011
Voymom said:
Found it! Now do the lights need to go up or down or how do I know it won't blind anyone?

knowing if it will blind someone is a hard things to say when I put my hid's in at stock height I didn't need to adjust mine it wasn't till the lift went on that I had to adjust. On a side not I think someone pricks just like to flash people with hid's then you show them your quad beam mod:thumbsup:

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
jham said:
knowing if it will blind someone is a hard things to say when I put my hid's in at stock height I didn't need to adjust mine it wasn't till the lift went on that I had to adjust. On a side not I think someone pricks just like to flash people with hid's then you show them your quad beam mod:thumbsup:

Promise they wont be doing that again lol

I personally moved the head lights up, put the truck on the road and walked quite a distance in front of it and see for yourself if it is or not. Now no offense to this lol but take in consideration that your shorter so if it is just a bit blinding to you then it will be fine with others or those in trucks etc. Or have your husband stand in front of it as you adjust them. :thumbsup:

fishguy1123

Dec 5, 2011
I say line your kids up front to back, shortest to tallest and see which one is blinded first... lol Then make the proper adjustments! :rotfl: I only kid...:smile: Couldn't resit though.... BTW, if your the tallest of the bunch you should stand in line too. :raspberry:

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
fishguy1123 said:
I say line your kids up front to back, shortest to tallest and see which one is blinded first... lol Then make the proper adjustments! :rotfl: I only kid...:smile: Couldn't resit though.... BTW, if your the tallest of the bunch you should stand in line too. :raspberry:

:rotfl::rotfl::poke::Boxin:

Voymom

Original poster
Feb 3, 2012
fishguy1123 said:

:frown:

GotAir?

Jan 7, 2012
adjust them until you can see the way you want to see when its dark, have someone else drive it a mile down the road and back and you sit there at watch them drive back to see how they look, and adjust accordingly. Also, if a lot of people flash you then they are prolly too high (your still gonna get the occasional person to flash you, mind you). And the "proper" way is so the pass light is slightly higher than the driver side. That way you can see the lines on the side of the road a little better, not so much where you can notice a level difference when you pull up and look at the refection in the garage door or anything, but i'd say get them even, then find a dark deserted road and click the pass side so you can see a few feet further than the driver side. Basically be considerate, but don't have them adjusted where you could see better with your factory bulbs.

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
I made mine even. the pass side isnt higher or anything. I mean the fog lights and HID's do help quite a bit with seeing the road at night. Do what he said and you'll be fine! :thumbsup:

Voymom

Original poster
Feb 3, 2012
Thanks guys! We adjusted it according to what is a comfortable compromise for both the hubby and I as he is MUCH taller than me lol

Took it for a spin in the dark on a dirt road and it's wonderful for both of us. I then took it on the main road and passed about 20 cars or so and no one flashed me, so we're leaving them the way we have them.

Again thanks a ton!!

GotAir?

Jan 7, 2012
34gsvtg.gif
:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: What HID's did ya go with? What temp (color)?

Voymom

Original poster
Feb 3, 2012
GotAir? said:
34gsvtg.gif
:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: What HID's did ya go with? What temp (color)?

Went with 6000k bought off ebay. Cant remember brand as hubby surprised me with them. I posted pics on thw what did u do to your gmt today.

am-radio

Apr 24, 2012
I've searched this forum and it seems common for everyone to put HID bulbs in their reflector housings. I personally hate this, and it is illiegal in many states and provinces. It does give A LOT of glare to on coming traffic. I want HID's in my Envoy since the stock lights are dim, but I will only do it the correct way and do a retrofit with projectors. I've only seen one set of Envoy lights with projectors, and the headlight housings don't look like they are the easiest to open up and mod.

I'm not trying to bash anyone and not trying to start a huge fight. Just hoping that someone with post some pictures of Envoy retrofit headllights.

RZAwora

Apr 15, 2012
am-radio said:
I've searched this forum and it seems common for everyone to put HID bulbs in their reflector housings. I personally hate this, and it is illiegal in many states and provinces. It does give A LOT of glare to on coming traffic. I want HID's in my Envoy since the stock lights are dim, but I will only do it the correct way and do a retrofit with projectors. I've only seen one set of Envoy lights with projectors, and the headlight housings don't look like they are the easiest to open up and mod.

I'm not trying to bash anyone and not trying to start a huge fight. Just hoping that someone with post some pictures of Envoy retrofit headllights.

I understand your comment, and as not to start an argument I'll refrain from voicing my opinion. You are correct in the fact that it is illegal in most states. Anyway...pics as you requested with projectors in an Envoy, all custom, and from what I gather, every bit of about $600.
View attachment 22423
View attachment 22424
View attachment 22425
View attachment 22426

Attachments

• 67751128849505361135090.jpg
    67751128849505361135090.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_2339.jpg
    IMG_2339.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 5
  • P1220481.jpg
    P1220481.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 81
  • P6210136.jpg
    P6210136.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 81

am-radio

Apr 24, 2012
Thank you. It looks like it can be done and look good. I was a bit worried it might not look good because the headlight housing (where the reflector is) is oval and not round. Thanks again for the pictures.

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
It depends on the state really, but I never heard of anyone getting in trouble for putting HID's in the stock housing. As along as you aim them good then you should have no problem at all.

RZAwora

Apr 15, 2012
I second that, I've never heard of anyone getting in trouble either. I have heard of people failing inspection though. There's an easy solution to that though, just put in original bulbs and swap them afterwards. The 6-beam is also illegal some places, but haven't heard of anyone getting in trouble for the either. To each his own...laws are made to be broken. Going 5mph over the speed limit is illegal too!
Sorry Voymom, didn't mean to hijack your thread.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online