Adding Headlamp Washers

LikeEnvoy

Original poster
Apr 17, 2012
Winnipeg, MB
I'm trying to add this feature to my base model SLE Envoy but it doesn't operate.
I obtained the pump connector/fluid level sensor connector harness, spliced the grounds and wired the pump's purple power wire back to the fuse box with a proper terminal. Added a relay (#37). Found a headlamp switch with washer button. Couldn't use it because it didn't have DRL and Canada must have that. So I spent hours/days cutting out the washer button guides and hole from the spare switch and fitting it to my headlamp switch casing; cut the hole, glued the button guides etc. All together now and the BN/Wh and White wires are already there, from headlamp switch connector to BCM and to the fuse box. Press the button and the relay does nothing.

I don't have the pump yet, so I plugged a 12v chime into the pump connector to test it.
If I take the relay cover off and move the arm, the test-chime sounds. If I connect a multi-meter to the BCM connectors, the 12v on BN/Wh at C2-F5 goes to ground when I press the button, so the button-press reaches the BCM. The white wire (BCM C1-A2) does NOT change from 12v when I press the button! It should ground the relay when operating, according to the schematic..
That's clearly why the relay does not operate.

Does the BCM have to be programmed by GM to enable the feature?
(If so, that stinks. Can anyone in Winnipeg Canada area program these modules?)

Last edited:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Does the BCM have to be programmed by GM to enable the feature?
Probably. Are you sure all the wiring is there? I would have just run a wire to the relay bypassing the BCM.

LikeEnvoy

Original poster
Apr 17, 2012
Winnipeg, MB
Typical of GM, eh? Yes, all the wiring is there. I enjoy doing all the wiring etc. as close to factory as I can- very satisfying (IF it works).
So does anyone in Winnipeg, Canada area have the required programmer, or is a GM tech in Winnipeg willing to help out?

LikeEnvoy

Original poster
Apr 17, 2012
Winnipeg, MB
(BTW, I want to use the GM BCM control because I hear it pulses the pump on then waits for the dirt to soak/soften, then pulses on again to wash the dirt away. It's a bit nicer than just holding a switch on)

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I heard they're kinda useless. I disabled them on the Saab because it worked by itself every 4 times the windshield washer would be used. No manual switch.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Have them on my Voy, the only time they come in handy is when I am following someone in a snowstorm at night. Otherwise, they are completely useless.

LikeEnvoy

Original poster
Apr 17, 2012
Winnipeg, MB
Maybe they're of more use here in winter, as the lights become covered in a dried film from the road grit/snow mixture all the time. I am forever driving with dull lights- hardly any light comes out once the wet stuff dries on the lenses.

I just acquired the hoses, nozzles and a pump. The pump was rusty and seized but I got it all apart and restored it. Works fine now. Just need to either find a good, black front grill surround trim with the nozzle mounts, or try cutting the mounts from the damaged junk grill I found and trying to blend them into my grill surround.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Theres a couple grills on ebay that has the nozzles

LikeEnvoy

Original poster
Apr 17, 2012
Winnipeg, MB
A final update on this. My local junk yard finally got a 2007 Denali in and I found the front grille intact; no scratches. It was just dirty and two small areas of the chrome finish corroded away at the bottom, on the left and right sides.
I cleaned it up and sprayed silver paint on the corroded areas. It looks much better than my old SLE grille and you hardly notice the painted areas within the chrome.
I fitted the hoses I had acquired a few years ago and installed it with the special washer fluid tank.
Sadly, the washer pump, that I had repaired/restored, leaked like a sieve once the tank was full of washer fluid. So I bit the bullet and just bought a new pump (while I can still get one). I'm now fitting this and will probably bypass the BCM for now and drive the relay directly from the headlamp switch button.
Covid halted progress on this one but finally I almost have this upgrade done.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
javier perez

Members Online