Add tranny fluid?

thebat

Original poster
May 14, 2017
New England
I checked my transmission fluid today, it is at the very bottom of the cross hatch. Is it safe to add a quart? If so, what type do you folks recommend?
Vehicle is 2005 TB, 4.2, 4WD.

Thanks

Chickenhawk

Dec 6, 2011
Due to the design of the transmission pan, plus the nature of the fluid, it is vitally important to check the fluid when it is hot, in park and the vehicle level. The system is sealed, so it should not lose or consume fluid normally. This is why we like to check it after driving, with the vehicle level and after shifting through all the gears. If it is still at the bottom of the cross-hatch, add a quart. Check around for leaks, especially at the lines leading to the transmission cooler at the radiator.

Be careful you do not overfill the transmission and be extra careful the dipstick is firmly locked into the tube when done. Owners have lost their vehicles on the side of the highway when they catch fire on a long trip because fluid sprayed out of an unsecured dipstick or an overfilled transmission, hit the hot exhaust and burst into flames.

thebat

Original poster
May 14, 2017
New England
Thank you for your quick reply. I did all the things you said about being in park and it warmed up and level etc. I am wondering what type of transmission fluid to use.

DocBrown

Dec 8, 2011
X2 on DEX VI. DEX VI was introduced in 2006. It's a synthetic blend that runs cooler and doesn't break down as quickly under high heat as DEX III did. GM recommends it for all GMs that used DEX III. If you were to take to a dealer and have the fluid changed they won't even ask, they will use DEX VI.

Reactions: thebat

thebat

Original poster
May 14, 2017
New England
Thanks everyone. I have decided to get my Tranny fluid changed and flushed out. The guy doing it is willing to let me bring in my own fluid and just charge me labor. The manual says the TB holds 5 qts, but that doesn't seem right to me. How much should I bring the guy?
Also, I want him to change front and rear transfer case fluid. Can anyone tell me type and quantity to bring for that?

Thank you in advance for these replies, you guys are the greatest!

Last edited:

xavierny25

Mar 16, 2014
Staten Island, N.Y
Its more like 12-14 quarts then again I ran it till what I was putting in was exactly what was coming out.

There only 1 transfer case which takes the blue stuff aka (smurf blood), you can get it at the dealer or order on Amazon.

Front and rear would be differential fluid 75/90.

Reactions: thebat

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
The manual says the TB holds 5 qts, but that doesn't seem right to me. How much should I bring the guy?
Its more like 12-14 quarts then again I ran it till what I was putting in was exactly what was coming out.

If you were just dropping the pan to change the filter, then about 5 quarts would be right. I bought 15 when I did mine, and added an aux cooler. I didn't use all of them, but I don't remember how many I still have on the shelf. :redface:

Reactions: xavierny25

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Make sure the one doing the flush does NOT USE A FLUSHING MACHINE! It is a tranny killer. Use only the method shown in this video.

thebat

Original poster
May 14, 2017
New England

There only 1 transfer case which takes the blue stuff aka (smurf blood), you can get it at the dealer or order on Amazon.

Front and rear would be differential fluid 75/90.
I am ordering this stuff on line, another mechanic is doing the work. I am able to find the capacities of everything except the transfer case. Do you know how much it takes to fill it?

Mektek

May 2, 2017
FL
I use valvoline maxlife ATF . Dex 6, full synthetic and not outrageously priced when purchased in gallon bottles. I had shifting problems in another car that went away after changing to maxlife.

If you've never changed your ATF before, then pump out your old fluid using the MAY03LT method, change the filter and then refill the transmission and continue with the procedure.

Transfer case takes 2 litres.

Reactions: Mooseman and thebat

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
javier perez

Members Online