Ad Revenue

$ Khalid ! 9130

Original poster
Mar 30, 2016
KSA
Hey everyone,

Not complaining or anything, so recently I have been seeing quite a few adverts pop up on the GMTNation website.

Sketch (23).png

Sketch (24).png

Sketch (25).png

I have never used adblocker or the sort on GMTNation ever yet I had not seen these before. Is this a new way to get money and traffic into the site? Cause just recently I was searching for something GMT related and for the first time the first result was GMTNation :2thumbsup:

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
Oh your not alone, I get similar ones, but mine tend to be a lot of my own threads lolbfgbdgfgd.png GMTNads.png

Attachments

• gdgdfgdgf.png
    gdgdfgdgf.png
    412 KB · Views: 3
Reactions: $ Khalid ! 9130

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
Yep, have had quite a few of my threads pop up as well. It makes me feel proud of myself :biggrin:

However have you noticed the site popping up in search results? I've always had the OS pop up first and then GMTNation! But a few day ago, had GMTNation on top where it belongs. :woohoo:
Perhaps it shows the logged in user's threads?
If I ever search anything TB related I only use GMTN or Tv (if I can't find it here).

$ Khalid ! 9130

Original poster
Mar 30, 2016
KSA
Perhaps it shows the logged in user's threads?
If I ever search anything TB related I only use GMTN or Tv (if I can't find it here).

Yep could be, however now I'm seeing mostly threads I didn't know existed, lots of great info available here that's for sure. I mainly search here on GMTNation, or just start a thread if I really need to. But sometimes I would be on the search engine and just think of something TB related and type it in. But yeah, I gotta say I actually like seeing these threads pop up from time to time :2thumbsup:

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
Yep could be, however now I'm seeing mostly threads I didn't know existed, lots of great info available here that's for sure. I mainly search here on GMTNation, or just start a thread if I really need to. But sometimes I would be on the search engine and just think of something TB related and type it in. But yeah, I gotta say I actually like seeing these threads pop up from time to time :2thumbsup:
Have only seen ads with threads that are new or somewhat recent.

$ Khalid ! 9130

Original poster
Mar 30, 2016
KSA
Have only seen ads with threads that are new or somewhat recent.

I just got one going back to 2013 I think, about putting leds to 'hide' the bumper gap. I actually liked that idea, never seen it before.

At this rate we will have this thread pop up with those ads as well as a really popular thread :dielaugh:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Unfortunately, ads are a necessary evil. Without enough paying members, this site can't sustain itself. Ad blockers hurt us too. From what I can tell, there are just as many ads when you are a supporting member and that should not be.

Tiggerr

Jun 6, 2013
Perrysburg, OH
Unfortunately, ads are a necessary evil. Without enough paying members, this site can't sustain itself. Ad blockers hurt us too. From what I can tell, there are just as many ads when you are a supporting member and that should not be.

I get very few ads other than stationary ones at top and bottom.... on mobile using safari on iPhone

$ Khalid ! 9130

Original poster
Mar 30, 2016
KSA

I am not against them in any way as I have never used ad blocker or the sort before. Its just that I didn't see these many before And thought was this done to being in more rev that's all :2thumbsup:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I just noticed those ads for posts here so wondering if something was changed to advertise this site?

Jman423

Administrator
Mar 24, 2014
United States
The only new advertisements are the ones for eBay. The header and the top of the sidebar are the same. I tested a larger footer advertisement, but it performed poorly. I am trying to keep revenue flowing so we can keep this site alive while balancing the usability. I'm trying to make the ads display (dynamically) the most relevant advertisements possible, but I don't control what they ultimately display. I'm the first one to enable an ad-blocker when a site gets carried away with ads, but in this case... it is the money that supports our server and licencing costs.

Since I am indeed working on improving the revenue flow by adjusting advertisements, if anyone should see ads displayed where they shouldn't (upgraded memberships), this is most likely an oversight on my part. Simply report it in the support forum and we'll get it addressed as quickly as possible.

Thank you for your support!

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
Really is a great forum with loads of info and people eager to help each other out :Lager Louts::2thumbsup:

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Older thread, but seemed relavant. With a upgraded membership, are the ads supposed to be different, or???

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Quite possibly a glitch. I'll check up on that.

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
FYI - I get ads, and I'm a 'lifetime VIP' (drinks on me... LOL) They're tailored to where you've been recently, thanks to Google analytics (you'd be surprised some of the ads that pop up in the top banner. The RH side ones (for me) are pretty much always Amazon / Ebay, with a varying 3rd ad, up top (tonight, it's for the upcoming 'In The Heights' movie, which I haven't been searching on at all, I can assure you).

The bottom panel always varies; again, mostly (but not always) based on what I've been doing outside of this site.

I could block the ads, but they provide revenue (and the site knows when I block them, too, and nicely asks me to stop). Thankfully, they don't cycle every couple of minutes -- once they load, they're static.

At the other end of the spectrum is anything that Internet Brands (?) owns... which is a ton of automotive sites. One of the worst is LS1.com; as soon as I tell my browser to go there, I'm activating the adblocker (and still closing ads & stuff afterward!). But they come up as a good resource on a ton of stuff I look for.

Anyway... that's my experience. I'm as 'premium' as you can be, here... and I'm pretty sure I see the same ads as others. (but I can edit my posts at anytime, and I *really* like that)

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Even me as a Mod I get them. I also use an ad blocker but white listed this site for the revenue.

If Google analytics uses sites I've been on, why the hell do I get ads for Russian singles? :laugh: The best is an ad for an ad blocker that comes up once in a while. :confused: Kinda shooting yourself in the foot no?

Ad blocker.png

Jman423

Administrator
Mar 24, 2014
United States
Some of this is on me and some of it is by design.

The staff should not see ads (except for me). BUT, when I'm testing advertisements, I have to enable them for all staff groups including mods and admins since I'm in both groups. This allows me to "see what they see". Unfortunately, I forget to revert those changes sometimes. The problem is compounded by the fact that I MUST see all ads at all times to make sure they're all placed properly and being served... so until the guys mention that they are seeing ads, I'm not even aware.

As for the supporting memberships, Silver supporters will still see ads, all others should not. Again, since my account is elevated, I can't see what you see and I'm just not aware the problem exists. I attempt to test things in a way that covers the bases, but sometimes, one gets by. I'm working to resolve the issues and better communicate the memberships.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
I have a curious question. One of the other forums I am on, they recently implemented a censorship rule, with the owner claiming it was imposed by the advertisers. Have you gotten anything like that from the advertisers here?

Seems kinda far fetched to me, but with cancel culture the way it is, nothing surprises me anymore.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Censorship of what exactly? We always had rules against political, racial, religious and gender/sexual orientation stuff since day 1. Had nothing to do with advertisers, just not wanting this kind of stuff here and to keep the peace. It has worked well.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Censorship of what exactly? We always had rules against political, racial, religious and gender/sexual orientation stuff since day 1. Had nothing to do with advertisers, just not wanting this kind of stuff here and to keep the peace. It has worked well.
Geared directly at lanquage.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
We sorta have that rule too, which is why we have the Anything Goes section but we do tolerate a bit in the open forum. As long as it's not excessive or abusive, we're OK with a little language. If you need to really let loose, the Anything Goes is there, which is open only to paying members.

I have seen some other forums that don't tolerate it at all to the point of the forum software automatically replacing words with ***** and sending a message to the offending poster. Even posting f*ck and a$$ can get you banned with them. That's their choice.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
When they implemented it, it had some 1000 words which were censored, and remember this is also a car forum. Words like-
Trans
Tranny
Hard
Strap On
Hot Chick
Creeps
Babes
Shoot
Gun
Bull
and more..

The George Carlin words, OK, I get it.. But most of the words above, except Hot Chick and babes, can be used in a general automotive conversation, with no over or under tones to them.

Anyways, as I said, was just curious...

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
That's excessive. Once I had a guy use tranny in a defamatory way and was immediately banned.

So I had a tranny that would shoot fluid when I would creep it slowly. So I put a strap on it to lift it and it would stop squirting. But then found out all that was bull when I jumped the gun on this fix and had to take it to a trans shop. I took it pretty hard and cried like a babe in arms.

I couldn't work hot chicks in there. :biggrin: That forum sure is anal :crackup:

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
That's excessive. Once I had a guy use tranny in a defamatory way and was immediately banned.

So I had a tranny that would shoot fluid when I would creep it slowly. So I put a strap on it to lift it and it would stop squirting. But then found out all that was bull when I jumped the gun on this fix and had to take it to a trans shop. I took it pretty hard and cried like a babe in arms.

I couldn't work hot chicks in there. :biggrin: That forum sure is anal :crackup:
The trans shop had a new group of chicks under a warming light, I asked if they were Hot Chicks or are they ok?

Jman423

Administrator
Mar 24, 2014
United States
There are words and images that will get a specific URL (or a single page of a thread) banned from generating revenue. Rather than try to censor the members, I just ignore the email from Google and take the hit on the revenue. Sooner or later, people will move onto another page of that thread and the issue will become a non-issue.

However, there are things that aren't necessary here. I honestly don't care about the generic bad words as long as it doesn't become excessive, there is not a bad word that I haven't said myself. We just don't want this place to fill up with ***holes that will **** it up for everyone 😜

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online