actuator screw size and other question

Black_tb

Original poster
Dec 6, 2011

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Don't know the size of the screw itself but the head is 9/32. It's used in a lot of places where it's screwed into plastic. If you go to a yard, I'm sure you could find some.

After replacing the actuator, you will have to recalibrate the system. Just pull the HVAC B fuse for a minute, put it back in and then turn the key to RUN but don't start the engine. Let it do its thing for a couple of minutes without touching any of the controls.

Black_tb

Original poster
Dec 6, 2011
Thank you I don't know why I didn't think of junk yard I've got you pull and save about 15 minute from my house

Reactions: Mooseman

Black_tb

Original poster
Dec 6, 2011
Well went to junk yard today got a small cup holder ,a handle piece for that cover in rear cargo area and some assorted screws that I needed

Black_tb

Original poster
Dec 6, 2011
best yet forgot to take a picture of the actuator but it dome in the mail yesterday and installed it last night and finally got heat on the floor nice when everything goes sorta smooth.. ( say sorta smooth cause that thing was a pain to get the screw in )

tomorrow my moog stabilzer bar link comes in so hoping to get to that this weekend along with a new belt and prolly a tb cleaning

Reactions: Mooseman

Locksmith

Nov 19, 2017
Columbia,SC
Don't know the size of the screw itself but the head is 9/32. It's used in a lot of places where it's screwed into plastic. If you go to a yard, I'm sure you could find some.

After replacing the actuator, you will have to recalibrate the system. Just pull the HVAC B fuse for a minute, put it back in and then turn the key to RUN but don't start the engine. Let it do its thing for a couple of minutes without touching any of the controls.

I will age myself by telling you that in 1976, my auto teacher said to subtract 3/16 from the bolt head, to get the diameter of the actual bolt. Can anyone tell me if I'm on the money? SAE over Metrics anyday of the week!

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Probably not. As you go to larger bolts, the size difference is greater.

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
IIRC, the actuator screws have 5.5mm heads. My medium-sized craftsman set has it. Best tool to get to it with is a thumbwheel ratchet; you can find those at Harbor Freight (unless you want to pay Sears' prices. Alternately, a pair of long needlenose may get the bolt loosened; you can then extract it with fingers (don't drop it!)

This is assuming you have to replace one of the harder to reach ones, like the blend door (top center of the dash).

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chirobo1

Members Online

No members online now.