Actual operations of 4x4 system

Maverickxeo

Original poster
Jan 25, 2021
Alberta, Canada
This is just a few observations I've noted about my 4.2l Envoy - just wondering if this is the 'norm.'

I've done some work on my Envoy - with the most recent being front hub assemblies. I wanted to get the axle nut tight before I put the tires and wheels back on, so I put the Envoy in 4Low (I turned the key on, transmission in neutral with e brake on and shifted to 4low). I went out to torque the nut on the driver's wheel (the only wheel off the ground) and I went to tighten the nut and the wheel turned freely in both directions. I found this odd, as in other 4x4s I've owned (Jeeps, mostly - without disconnects), when the vehicle is in 4 low - it is LOCKED.

After I finished the job (on both sides), I was concerned maybe I screwed something up, so I tested the 4x4 system. It crow hopped in 4hi, and actually did engage 4low - so it is operating as it should.

So my question is simply - does the Envoy need to be rolling to actually 'mesh' the disconnect to the differential?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I can see the disconnect possibly needing a little rotation but you basically did that when it turned. It's possible the transfer case needs to roll a little to engage which is why it needs to be in neutral so stuff can move. I would have used 4hi.

BTW, an easy way to lock the hub to tighten the nut is to put something in the brake rotor vanes like a screwdriver. I just tighten it one it's on the ground.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher