Actron cp9185 code scanner

Tofer76

Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
ok so ive been in the market for a good code reader to use on my envoy and f250 and whatever else i might need to work on. ive been toying with the blue tooth type with a laptop or a small basic handheld. i want one that will read codes, clear codes, display live data such as coolant temp, tranny temp and all the pertinant stuff.

i havent decided on one yet but for christmas my dad goes and drops a load on a actron cp9185 and wants me to learn how to use it to work on our stuff, but i am getting mixed reveiws online about drivers not avail and a few other issues.

i also used it a little bit today and found that its displaying alot of diff stuff that i dont quite understand and the user manual is no help at all.

my questions is ...

has anyone had experience with this unit
is there a better one for less money that does what i need
should i try to figure it out or try to convince my dad he spent more money than he should have and return it for a diff one

thanks

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Been done (not by me), but an easier way to alert staff without polluting the thread is to use the "report post" button. Thx.

BigNed

Dec 4, 2011
Hello I have a Actron CP9580 for my 07 Trailblazer works great ,got mine thru Sumitt Raceing,they sell for $211.00 I priced matched it and got it for 150.00. Happy Holidays every one, I came over from the other list. Ned

Tofer76

Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
BigNed said:
Hello I have a Actron CP9580 for my 07 Trailblazer works great ,got mine thru Sumitt Raceing,they sell for $211.00 I priced matched it and got it for 150.00. Happy Holidays every one, I came over from the other list. Ned

hey thanks for the reply (sorry for the dupl. post as i figured not everyone reads in all the sections)

ned how does it work for you ?
what do you use it for the most ?

BigNed

Dec 4, 2011
I use mine on my 07 blazer reads codes,clear codes tell's it what to replace it with, runs diagnostricts while truck is runnning and so on.

Tofer76

Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
well after some research i have found that the equus 3130 does everything the actron does and i can get it for 130 on amazon vs. the 250 tag he paid for the actron hmmm think i should reccomend he return and buy the other one? the reviews are a lot better on it tooo

Black LT

Dec 4, 2011
You keep asking what we think, so;
I think research should be done before buying, after a purchase - quit looking!
I realize it wasn't your purchase, but you have it - like it!!
Instead of telling him he paid too much and to return it, thank him for getting it.

Wooluf1952

Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Black LT said:
You keep asking what we think, so;
I think research should be done before buying, after a purchase - quit looking!
I realize it wasn't your purchase, but you have it - like it!!
Instead of telling him he paid too much and to return it, thank him for getting it.

But, dad might be happy to save $130 and didn't know about the Equus 3130.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jonnnnyj

Members Online