Acquired a 1984 S-10 over the weekend

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
That reminds me of my first pickup. A 1980 S10 regular cab long box with the 2.8L V6, 2wd and 5 speed I bought in 1990 in Regina Sask and drove back home. Totally gutless but still a fun little truck. Not a lot of problems with it but the things that stick out are an axle bearing that ground down into the axle, lots of ball joints as usual, a clutch and the stupid plastic ratcheting self adjusting clutch pedal mechanism. Wound up drilling a hole and putting a bolt through the pedal bracket and the plastic gear.

Don't see anything of that vintage here now except at car shows.

Congrats!

Drec

Original poster
Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jan 29, 2018
Yakima, Washington
Wow, thanks for reminding me of the plastic ratcheting mechanism, the clutch has. I used to have a 1983 S-10, with a 1.9l and 4-speed. I can still hear the sound of that ratchet letting go as your foot slams to the floor.

Reactions: Mooseman

Drec

Original poster
Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jan 29, 2018
Yakima, Washington
Over the next few months, I’ll have to decide what to do with this free truck. When i mentioned that I might be interested in it, it showed up in my back yard, with title and keys on the seat.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I think it would make an awesome project if it's solid.

Reactions: mrrsm

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Congratulations...

If the V6 Motor inside the Engine Bay of that Cool Truck is the GM L32 3.4L 60 Degree V6 Motor... Please visit some of the Photobucket Albums I recorded about a decade ago that may prove instructive. This Wiki may also prove a Very Good Reference:

When my son was still in high school, I got him a 1994 Camaro that sported this L32 V6 Engine and endured a lengthy Engine Re-Build Project that I memorialized over on Photobucket in various Albums to be found among the long list on the Left Margin at the link below.

Up until around 2011... I also haunted the www.60degreev6.com site as "60dgrzbelow0" and tried my best to contribute to the knowledge base over there about this Strange Little Sixty Degree V-Six Cylinder platform. I hope these images will still prove useful:

PS Although I no longer add to the Albums on Photobucket and prefer Flickr, up until a few years ago, I used to park EVERYTHING I collected for a whole range of GM vehicles and other projects there, including many for for the GMT360 Projects as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: Drec

Drec

Original poster
Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jan 29, 2018
Yakima, Washington
Congratulations...

If the V6 Motor inside the Engine Bay of that Cool Truck is the GM L32 3.4L 60 Degree V6 Motor... Please visit some of the Photobucket Albums I recorded about a decade ago that may prove instructive. This Wiki may also prove a Very Good Reference:
Thanks for the references on the 60 Degree V6. The engine in this truck is a 2.8l V8; which I think is just a earlier version. I'll have to spend some time and do some research on these.

Reactions: mrrsm

Drec

Original poster
Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jan 29, 2018
Yakima, Washington
I ventured out into my backyard a while ago and took a closer look at the truck. When I came home and found the truck, there was over 1 foot of snow on the ground.

The truck is from the State of Oregon's motor pool. Based on the title, it must have gone to auction in about 2003 and was signed and dated then. I could even guess that my friend has had since then, as he said that he picked it up at an auction in Oregon. The speedo shows 58k; which based on looking at the rest of it, it could be correct. The interior shows some wear on the drivers side; which could be from someone getting in and out of it a lot.

It will be a while before I get around doing much with this, but might try to see if there is anything wrong with it, when the snow is gone. The temperature has be hovering around and below freezing here for a couple of weeks.

Attachments

• IMG_3349.JPG
    IMG_3349.JPG
    143.9 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_3350.JPG
    IMG_3350.JPG
    125.3 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_3351.JPG
    IMG_3351.JPG
    123.2 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_3352.JPG
    IMG_3352.JPG
    89.5 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_3353.JPG
    IMG_3353.JPG
    124.1 KB · Views: 9
Reactions: coolride and mrrsm

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
The 2.8L and the 3.4L Engines share quite a few parts and pieces in common. Just as I did with linking memorialized the work in images of the Dis-Assembly, GM Factory Parts, GM Part Numbers, OEM Box Ends and Re-Assembly for the LL8 Engines here, I also did likewise for the Old GM L32 V6 Motors as well... You just have to poke around a little bit amongst all of the Albums on the Left Column over there to find their various listings. :>)

Last edited:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Apart from the dent in the tailgate, it looks solid. It would depend on what you'd want to do with it. Restore it or mod it. I probably wouldn't waste any time on that old carbureted 2.8L and throw in an LS engine. Would make a helluva sleeper.

Drec

Original poster
Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jan 29, 2018
Yakima, Washington
There’s a spare tailgate in the bed. As far as the motor, I’ll have to wait on that. I wasn’t looking for a project, as I have a lot on my plate now.

After I finish our old house and sell it, I’ll be putting a LS in my daughters 36 Chev PU.

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
I always wanted to big block swap one. It can be done but you're practically shooting yourself in the foot while doing it lol.

It does look clean though. I've actually never seen that gen in person. Not very common around here anymore.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jonnnnyj

Members Online

No members online now.