ACDelco PF48E.....cheap but good?

floridafitz

Original poster
Jan 2, 2012
Winter Springs FL
Anticipating my first oil change with the new-to-me '08 Voy (98K). Had been using Mobil1, Bosch Distance+ and Purolator BOSS filters for my old Voy 4.2 with Mobil1 5w30. Now I'm reading up on the 5.3 and it seems the basic ACDelco PF48E $4 filter on Amazon is the way lots of people go. Your opinions? Thanks.

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
Well, from your post and your sig, I can tell you:
- Are in your 2nd GMT 360
- Had another one before this one
- Took care of the previous one
- Likely want to do the same with this one
- Have less than 100K on the truck (lucky you!)

The 'e' suffix stands for 'e-core' - and this link will show you what the internals of those look like:
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3526113/New_AC_Delco_PF48E_&_P

You look at a non e-core PF48 or a PF63, and compare to the PF48e. Which do you think has better construction (regardless of any claims that the media might be better in an e-core, etc.) ? Personally, I wouldn't use an 'e'.

If you're shopping on price / performance (which I do, and I have a 5.3 as well), the following two are pretty good, and can often be found in the $4 range (sometimes as part of an oil change deal at the auto parts stores):
- Fram Extra Guard
- Purolator PureOne (I have one of these on my Voy right now)

If you're shopping for 'best' (and they'll cost more than $4) - I know the Wix and M1 are regarded as some of the best you can readily get for passenger cars / trucks. There are others, I'm sure; those two come to mind off the top of my head.

The latter (esp. the M1) are good enough you could probably leave them on and change them at 'every other' oil change, if getting the most use out of the filter is important. But it's not like the filter on the 5.3 Voy is hard to get to (or oriented sideways) or hard to find at the stores - it's basically the same filter that goes on the pickups with the 5.3L.

Some people like the K&N filter, mostly because they have that nut welded to the top of the can. It's a decent filter, but there's a lot of markup for that nut.
Personally, I think that nut is for people who like to wrench their filters so tight that they *need* a socket wrench to remove it - which is *too* tight. :Banghead:

Those are my thoughts...YMMV :twocents:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
They are built by Champion Labs. Construction is OK but filtering media is lackluster in filtering ability. Wix are good.. Fram Synthetic are excellent.

floridafitz

Original poster
Jan 2, 2012
Winter Springs FL
great replies and info. thanks for taking the time.

shovenose

Apr 24, 2016
SF Bay Area, CA
Keep in mind even the non-E model number filters use the e-core technology, at least all the ones I've seen on the shelf at O'Reilly and from Amazon. Just like Motorcraft, ACDelco filters are acceptable for traditional 3-5k OCIs, but there are better options out there. Wix is always a great option for up to 5-7k OCIs, above that, Wix XP would be my recommendation. Also, if you can find them, Royal Purple filters are absolutely top-notch. I put one on my Ford this time around because why not, ordered it through O'Reilly.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chirobo1

Members Online