Accumulator covered entirely in frost without A/C running

Mike534x

Original poster
Apr 9, 2012
So this just happened minutes ago. Drove to the store, so about a 30 min trip. I ran the A/C yesterday, got in today and shut it off since its nice out. Pulled back into the drive way and popped the hood open to top off washer fluid and oil.....annnddd I see this.

So the accumulator is covered in a massive amount of frost, and all connections leading down to the passenger side firewall are covered as well. I have never seen anything like this at all. I had A/C work done earlier in the summer, the front condenser was replaced due to a bad leak.

Attachments

• 20190804_194033.jpg
    20190804_194033.jpg
    242.9 KB · Views: 11
  • 20190804_194037.jpg
    20190804_194037.jpg
    262.2 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Blckshdw

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
So this just happened minutes ago. Drove to the store, so about a 30 min trip. I ran the A/C yesterday, got in today and shut it off since its nice out. Pulled back into the drive way and popped the hood open to top off washer fluid and oil.....annnddd I see this.

So the accumulator is covered in a massive amount of frost, and all connections leading down to the passenger side firewall are covered as well. I have never seen anything like this at all. I had A/C work done earlier in the summer, the front condenser was replaced due to a bad leak.
Mine does that all the time while running, even the front crossover tube on top of the valve cover too.

Do you have manual controls or automatic?

Mike534x

Original poster
Apr 9, 2012
Automatic controls. I had the A/C off, and usually when it is running it just gets a very light frosting.

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
On my truck, even if I shut off the a/c but leave the blower on... if I turn the car off and then start it back up later the A/C usually comes back on for whatever reason. The envoy and escalade did this.

Reactions: Mooseman

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
And some have reported that even with the A/C off, the compressor still engaged. I said it was a conspiracy to wear out parts faster. To counter this, I usually pull the low pressure switch plug or the compressor relay during winter months.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
The Mercury I had did this, but my Envoy with Auto Climate, didnt.

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
And some have reported that even with the A/C off, the compressor still engaged. I said it was a conspiracy to wear out parts faster. To counter this, I usually pull the low pressure switch plug or the compressor relay during winter months.
I run my A/C in the winter! :rotfl: (no joke, I actually got it to snow inside the trailblazer on a damp winter day) if recirculate is on the compressor cycles so that humidity doesn't build up inside the car in the winter. If you have A/C off and recirculate off the only time it comes on is with defrost... for the same reason.

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Mike... Even though this involves a different GM Vehicle... The Symptoms and Thermodynamics are right on the money for this Video hitting pretty close to the mark on the simple repair and Component R&R that will quite likely solve this problem:

Using an edited cut-out of your own image, I highlighted a Yellow/Red Oval around what appears to be the very same switch described in the attached Video. THAT things is the probable culprit in your present situation.

CHANGETHISWITCHOUT.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Mike534x

Mike534x

Original poster
Apr 9, 2012
Small update;

I replaced the low pressure switch per the video @MRRSM linked, and it seems like the issue has been solved (keeping fingers crossed). So far I haven't had a thick covering of frost on the accumulator. I'd have to say my A/C is working a bit better then it was before! I had another small problem that seemed to have been fixed as well, and that was my A/C blowing cold, to luke warm, back to cool again while sitting at idle or at a stop light. Now it just drops to cool and gets cold as soon as you start driving. So I guess it was a kill two birds with one stop type of deal. I wouldn't have thought the switch was the issue.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Firebaugh86

Members Online