Acadia p0014 & p0017 engine codes

JAVINDRA

Original poster
May 27, 2018
brampton ontario canada
I recently purchased a 08 gmc Acadia fwd 6 cyl with two obd2 engine codes p0014 & p0017 both seem to be related to camshaft sensor position bank 1 sensor b which is the exaust sensor for the first bank of cylinders . There are four sensors and other than the codes I have no engine issues or fault lights , is this just a sensor issue or is my timing chain going bad or both...thanks Javindra

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Since you have recently requested assistance with your 2008 Acadia at GMT Nation while seeking a “Specific Acadia Forum” now that you’ve sold your Envoy (still showing in your Profile) … This is probably a good place to start… especially since your present dilemma with the P0014 & P0017 is covered here and so THIS Link is Right On Target:

https://www.acadiaforum.net/threads/the-dreaded-p0016-p0017-codes-help.10303/

Please be advised that the GM 3.6L Double Over Head Cam V-6 Engine in your (10) Year Old Acadia is NOTHING like the entire Family of 4, 5 and 6 Cylinder In-Line GM Atlas Engines. If mechanical issues with your Vehicle eventually descend into involving the replacement of Timing Chain Set(s) and Balancer Chain Set(s) ...this situation will devolve into a MAJOR Enterprise.

This Video will show the bewildering array of (2) Three Cylinder Banks sporting DOHC Timing Chains, Sprocket Cogs and the myriad Supporting Chain Tensioner(s) that can challenge even the best of us to repair, if it comes down to cases. My own personal experience has been to perform this very same repair… But on a Nissan 3.5L FWD V-6 while it was nested inside of a 2007 Nissan Quest; as close to being a Japanese Analog in having a similar engine design to the Acadia 3.6L Motor as you can get. It was a NIGHTMARE!

This particular engine probably presaged the need for the repairs shown on the Video by having Very Poor Maintenance and some VERY poor choices for Engine Oil. Modern Engines operate at Higher Temperatures that will literally ‘cook’ Organic Motor Oils...to death. So… Hopefully the Acadia Site linked above has the right depth of experience with your particular platform to render you with most of the specific help that you will eventually need.

Cloyes Instructional Video on the GM 3.6L Engine Chain & Sprocket Kit:

Last edited:

m.mcmillen

Apr 29, 2016
Wisconsin
If those codes pop up as soon as you clear them or on a cold start, you most likely need to replace the chain, guides, and tensioners. I would also recommend replacing all four cam actuators. Whenever I take a timing cover off to replace parts I generally replace everything under there.

Doing this job in an Acadia will not be easy. The recommended way is to pull the engine and do it that way. I would probably recommend this because this is a very complex system (see attached photo) and you don't want to get it wrong and risk engine damage or having to do this all a second time.

I did these chains on an Impala a while back and there are some special tools that you need to hold the cams in place. You might be able to get by without them but I think the tools make it easier. The tool set is quite expensive though but I've used it several times so it was worth it.

The bad news is that this engine has to come out the bottom of the vehicle with the whole sub frame. It isn't that hard of a task if you have a lift but if you're trying to do it at home it will prove to be quite difficult.

As noted by @MRRSM, these engines get sludged up pretty badly. Mostly due to poor maintenance. GM even modified their engine oil life monitor to shorten up the intervals (I never go by their oil life monitor). There was a PCM update that took care of this.

You might be better off in the long run to find a low mileage used engine and put that in. The dealerships are charging around $3,000 to do this job.

Attachments

• impala chains.jpeg
    impala chains.jpeg
    577.9 KB · Views: 10

JAVINDRA

Original poster
May 27, 2018
brampton ontario canada
Right now I don't yet have the tell tale signs of a bad timing chain and hope that it is just the position sensor just the codes no ruff idle or engine starts no dash lights or restricted engine power

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Without casting ANY aspersions on your Rate of Oil Changes or any question of the Oil Quality therein... You might also consider performing a Hot Engine Oil FLUSH using whatever number of Quarts of CHEAP Organic Oil and CHEAP Oil Filter ... LESS One Quart of Motor Oil in exchange for ONE Quart of Transmission Fluid (Highly Detergent) to top off to the proper level. Then... Start the engine AT IDLE and DO NOT RACE THE ENGINE... Allow the engine to Idle and Warm Up for around 10 Minutes. Then Shut Down The Motor.

Before the Engine has any chance of Cooling Down, DRAIN the Hot- Used-Trashed-Gunked Up Organic Oil/Trans Fluid Mixture and Replace the Oil with Mobil1 5W-30 Motor Oil and a Mobil1 or K&N Oil Filter. This action may improve your engines ability to stop throwing that Code as the Oil Pressure reaching ALL THREE Timing Chain Tensioners should INCREASE once much of that Crap gets flushed out of the Oil Galleries and Oil Pick Up Tube-Crankcase.

If your engine interior is as Gunked up as the one shown during the First Video... You might consider performing the Hot Engine Flushing Procedures TWICE. You certainly have nothing to lose at this point by trying out this method. Make certain that you Don't get Burned by the Red Hot Oil Filter and Draining Motor Oil!

JAVINDRA

Original poster
May 27, 2018
brampton ontario canada
Without casting ANY aspersions on your Rate of Oil Changes or any question of the Oil Quality therein... You might also consider performing a Hot Engine Oil FLUSH using whatever number of Quarts of CHEAP Organic Oil and CHEAP Oil Filter ... LESS One Quart of Motor Oil in exchange for ONE Quart of Transmission Fluid (Highly Detergent) to top off to the proper level. Then... Start the engine AT IDLE and DO NOT RACE THE ENGINE... Allow the engine to Idle and Warm Up for around 10 Minutes. Then Shut Down The Motor.

Before the Engine has any chance of Cooling Down, DRAIN the Hot- Used-Trashed-Gunked Up Organic Oil/Trans Fluid Mixture and Replace the Oil with Mobil1 5W-30 Motor Oil and a Mobil1 or K&N Oil Filter. This action may improve your engines ability to stop throwing that Code as the Oil Pressure reaching ALL THREE Timing Chain Tensioners should INCREASE once much of that Crap gets flushed out of the Oil Galleries and Oil Pick Up Tube-Crankcase.

If your engine interior is as Gunked up as the one shown during the First Video... You might consider performing the Hot Engine Flushing Procedures TWICE. You certainly have nothing to lose at this point by trying out this method. Make certain that you Don't get Burned by the Red Hot Oil Filter and Draining Motor Oil!
Will definitely try this thanks again for your feedback

Reactions: mrrsm

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
It is uncertain how far you've been able to go with sorting out the PXXX Code Issues... but I thought you'd like to take a look at THIS Official GM Document that offered some "Special Coverage Adjustment" for GM Coverage on the problems they were experiencing over a WIDE array of GM Products having Excessive Timing Chain Wear.

Even though the decision to perform this repair on their own "Dime" is for a period of up to 10 Years or around 120,000 Miles of use AFTER this Notice was published, it may no longer be available since this Update was produced back in 2012.

However, at the very least... you'll know that this expression of concern on their part is tantamount to an Admission of Guilt and a recognition of the problem you presently face:

If it comes down to cases and you have to resort to the Dealership for getting the Engine Repaired...Having this Document in hand may assuage some of the Cost if you can press the issue with the Service Repair Manager. Please remember that as you hold possession of a "Pre-Owned" GM Product... I would not get my hopes up too high.

Good Luck!

Last edited:
Reactions: JAVINDRA

m.mcmillen

Apr 29, 2016
Wisconsin
Last winter this happened to my 2012 Acadia. I was working on my Honda minivan replacing a cracked cylinder head and didn't have time to work on the Acadia. I had the local GM dealer do the chains on the Acadia and GM paid for $1,000 of the bill. It would have cost $2800 and it cost me $1800. Mine had 118,000 miles on it.

JAVINDRA

Original poster
May 27, 2018
brampton ontario canada
I recently purchased a 08 gmc Acadia fwd 6 cyl with two obd2 engine codes p0014 & p0017 both seem to be related to camshaft sensor position bank 1 sensor b which is the exaust sensor for the first bank of cylinders . There are four sensors and other than the codes I have no engine issues or fault lights , is this just a sensor issue or is my timing chain going bad or both...thanks Javindra
To those that are concerned about p0017 p0016 and p0017 as mentioned I have obd2 engine codes but no dash lights and the engine is running properly. It was mentioned that the issue could be related to the camshaft position sensors and not necessarily the timing chain. In my case it was camshaft position sensor for bank 1 sensor B which is the exaust sensors , there are 2 for the exaust and 2 for the intake .It is recommended that you change all 4 which I did and low and behold no more codes thank god it not the timing chain yet....thanks Javindra

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Thanks for the follow up. It's good to have more info on this particular platform. I had no idea it had 4 cam sensors.

Reactions: mrrsm and Redbeard

JAVINDRA

Original poster
May 27, 2018
brampton ontario canada
Since you have recently requested assistance with your 2008 Acadia at GMT Nation while seeking a “Specific Acadia Forum” now that you’ve sold your Envoy (still showing in your Profile) … This is probably a good place to start… especially since your present dilemma with the P0014 & P0017 is covered here and so THIS Link is Right On Target:

https://www.acadiaforum.net/threads/the-dreaded-p0016-p0017-codes-help.10303/

Please be advised that the GM 3.6L Double Over Head Cam V-6 Engine in your (10) Year Old Acadia is NOTHING like the entire Family of 4, 5 and 6 Cylinder In-Line GM Atlas Engines. If mechanical issues with your Vehicle eventually descend into involving the replacement of Timing Chain Set(s) and Balancer Chain Set(s) ...this situation will devolve into a MAJOR Enterprise.

This Video will show the bewildering array of (2) Three Cylinder Banks sporting DOHC Timing Chains, Sprocket Cogs and the myriad Supporting Chain Tensioner(s) that can challenge even the best of us to repair, if it comes down to cases. My own personal experience has been to perform this very same repair… But on a Nissan 3.5L FWD V-6 while it was nested inside of a 2007 Nissan Quest; as close to being a Japanese Analog in having a similar engine design to the Acadia 3.6L Motor as you can get. It was a NIGHTMARE!

This particular engine probably presaged the need for the repairs shown on the Video by having Very Poor Maintenance and some VERY poor choices for Engine Oil. Modern Engines operate at Higher Temperatures that will literally ‘cook’ Organic Motor Oils...to death. So… Hopefully the Acadia Site linked above has the right depth of experience with your particular platform to render you with most of the specific help that you will eventually need.

Cloyes Instructional Video on the GM 3.6L Engine Chain & Sprocket Kit:

thank you

great video from Cloyes

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online