NEED HELP AC works but not cycling off

nopaybob

Original poster
Apr 3, 2013
AC failed yesterday and would do the three blinks on the indicator when attempting to turn on.
This morning AC works, I hooked up a set of manifold gauges both low and high pressures look good. But I noticed the AC compressors not cycling off. The clutch only disengages if you turn the AC off.
Any knowledge or links appreciated. What could cause this? Is there a pressure sensor?

2010 Acadia

Drec

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jan 29, 2018
Yakima, Washington
Do you have a schematic? If you don't, you might check with your local library. With a schematic you could follow back through the circuit to figure out what is going on, or at least where the power is.

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
Would recommend a evac/recharge to check freon level. No way of knowing exact refrigerant amount without one. Morning is different temp than mid day and I'd bet it acted different throughout the day?

Just because the pressures were okay in the morning at a "cool" temp doesn't mean the levels are fine and it'll correspondingly react during hot Temps. Pressures are directly dependant upon outside air temp and fan function.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
What was the outside temperature? I know most modern vehicles prevent the compressor from engaging if the temps are close to and below freezing.

Wooluf1952

Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
I know the AC compressor will run if you have the Defroster selected. But I'm not sure if it cycles on and off like it does when the AC is selected or if you have both AC and Defrost selected.

Reactions: Redbeard

nopaybob

Original poster
Apr 3, 2013
What was the outside temperature? I know most modern vehicles prevent the compressor from engaging if the temps are close to and below freezing.
It doesn't disengage

No problems until the froze up a few days ago When I put manifold gauges on
I know the AC compressor will run if you have the Defroster selected. But I'm not sure if it cycles on and off like it does when the AC is selected or if you have both AC and Defrost selected.
Would recommend a evac/recharge to check freon level. No way of knowing exact refrigerant amount without one. Morning is different temp than mid day and I'd bet it acted different throughout the day?

Just because the pressures were okay in the morning at a "cool" temp doesn't mean the levels are fine and it'll correspondingly react during hot Temps. Pressures are directly dependant upon outside air temp and fan function.
Pressures did increase as temperatures Rose through the day.

nopaybob

Original poster
Apr 3, 2013
There was a break at the condenser a few months ago. I replaced the part vac'd down and recharged. AC has been working trouble free for months until it froze up when the compressor stayed engaged and stopped cycling.
I didn't want to evacuate and recharge until I could figure out the failure

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Then your low pressure switch is probably not working properly to disengage the compressor. If the pressure gets low enough , it will freeze the system.

Reactions: xavierny25

nopaybob

Original poster
Apr 3, 2013
Then your low pressure switch is probably not working properly to disengage the compressor. If the pressure gets low enough , it will freeze the system.
Will overcharge cause my issue with higher outside Temps? I did the repair in the winter and my second can literally froze removed frozen can and applied another so I had issues but it worked out and have been using the ac. But we just started hitting 90+. I purged a very small amount of freon yesterday with no change.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher