AC Tensioner - how did you guys replace this

Like DJ said. It was a bit on the tight side. There is also a metal plate thing that is held with two 15mm bolts you could also remove which might also help.

BRomanJr

I agree, did a couple Tensioner replacements from the bottom after removing the small metal ?guard? thingy on bottom.

Other trick I learned for the belt, is to release the tensioner then take the A/C belt off of the crank pulley rearward first, and putting it on from the rear of the crank pulley last while holding tensioner.

got it replaced and engine is quieter now, still have to hunt down that other noise when I accelerate (like a whistle) maybe the idler is bad although when I spin it it sounds ok or could be just the transmission (somewhere near it...)

replacing the ac tensioner is really a PITA, not just enough room for the #15 socket to move around, have to remove the guard underneath. I wasn't able to access it from the top since I have 2 issues working from there... big arms and no visibility, accessing it down under is the way to go..

here's the pic with the new one just about to be tightened..

Reprise

Gold Supporter
I agree, did a couple Tensioner replacements from the bottom after removing the small metal ?guard? thingy on bottom.

Other trick I learned for the belt, is to release the tensioner then take the A/C belt off of the crank pulley rearward first, and putting it on from the rear of the crank pulley last while holding tensioner.
I did exactly this when I replaced my A/C belt last year. Installing the new one was especially painless using this method.