AC system question.

dcbenvoy

Original poster
Jan 28, 2012
I have an XL with a dual climate control system. I also have a rear system.

None of them are blowing cold air.

Do the front and rear systems share freon?

I assumed it was actuators in the dash but when no cold air came out of the rear system I figured my theory was shot.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
It could be low/out of freon..

With your engine off. Locate your AC compressor. Try rotating the front of the assembly by hand. If it rotates, you at least know that the AC compressor isnt seized.

Now start your truck, turn on your DEFROST in the front, and put the temp controls to cold. Now go look at your AC Compressor. Is the compressor turning? Is it cycling on and off?

Let us know what you find.

JerryIrons

Dec 20, 2011
I have an EXT with front and rear AC. They both share the same freon, from the same compressor. There is a seperate evaporator in back with long ac lines that like to corrode over time, especially near the clips that hold them to the frame/vehicle. Does the compressor kick on? You will see the end of it turn if it tries to cool. If you are low enough on freon it won't even kick on and attempt to cool = no ac at all.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
The rear system is prone to leaks at several locations. If you determine something back there is leaking, do you really need it for the rear? I have read some just block off the rear lines and just use the front with satisfactory results. Some have gotten A/C shops to block the lines and there is also a block off kit available on eBay. If you need to keep the rear A/C functional and it's the lines that are leaky, then there are rubber line kits also available on eBay to replace the stock ones.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
javier perez

Members Online