AC Problems

andy702252

Original poster
Dec 22, 2011
My vents are no longer blowing cool air at all. I am aware that my right side does not work due to an accuator problem. So the two vent on the drivers side did previously work. The lights on the controls no longer comes on either. What do I need to do. Please tell me a simple recharge.

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
Does it not blow anything even on heat? Or all levels 1-5? If so then your blower motor is prob bad and needs to be changed. Which is under the glove box

andy702252

Original poster
Dec 22, 2011
Yea it only blows hot air now. I thought that it was the accuator going out.do you think that the blower motor could make one side stop working before the other. If it is the blower motor how muchdo they coat and how hard is the repair.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
andy702252 said:
My vents are no longer blowing cool air at all.
Is the problem that they don't blow (airflow) or that the airflow isn't cool?
I am aware that my right side does not work due to an accuator problem.
Does your control unit change the airflow mode as expected? Recirculate, foot vents, defroster?
So the two vent on the drivers side did previously work.
Again, airflow or temperature problem?
The lights on the controls no longer comes on either.
Lights are separate issues usually. If the airflow modes work (previous question) then the unit is functional.
What do I need to do.
Answer a couple questions and we'll help you troubleshoot it. In recirculate mode, when the AC compressor should be forced on, does the compressor clutch spin the AC compressor? Is your receiver/drier (the aluminum soup can by the passenger side of the firewall under the hood) chilly?
Please tell me a simple recharge.
If your refrigerant is low, there's a low pressure switch that prevents the compressor from spinning and destroying itself. See if you have a chilly receiver/drier, then we can troubleshoot better. It's almost NEVER the right thing to do to just throw more refrigerant into a system that a professional hasn't checked the pressures on. If you have a leak, it needs to be fixed properly by a person with experience and the right tools.

ItsOnVoy said:
Does it not blow anything even on heat? Or all levels 1-5? If so then your blower motor is prob bad and needs to be changed. Which is under the glove box
Blower motor, or a squirrel's nest in the plenum, or the resistor pack (or speed control module) or a fuse. Let's see what the OP says about airflow first.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Then it's time to visit a professional AC shop and have them pull a vacuum on it and find and fix your leak. Then recharge it precisely to the proper number of ounces of oil and refrigerant. Not a job for the normal DIY mechanic unless you want to invest heavily in the tools and read a lot to get the experience. You might think you can throw some number of cans of refrigerant into the system, but it's not that simple when you have a leak. A good system doesn't lose ANY refrigerant over many years.

andy702252

Original poster
Dec 22, 2011
Being the noob that I am, I insisted that I must return to this page for and update and proclamation of resolution to my AC problem. Although I did appreciate the help Roadie, and I learned parts names that I did not even know existed the solution to my problem was, simply unhooking the battery for 5 minutes. Once I hooked it back up it was blowing just as good as ever, well at least on the drivers side I am aware that I need to replace my actuator. HAHA victory is mine now time for this noob to engineer and install his own custom twin turbo set up, headers, cams and heads. Yea right, pshh. Thanks for thttp://gmtnation.com/images/smilies/biggrin.gifhe help to everyone who commented on the post, this noob is still learning day by day.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher