AC high side service port

jsinga

Original poster
Jan 5, 2014
GA
Is there a reason GM uses the ball valve port?
I want to replace leaking port with one using conventional Schrader valve

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Or just GM being GM. If they can save a nickel going to a cheaper part, they will.

TJBaker57

Aug 16, 2015
Colorado
Often with various gasses the intentinally make the connectors different to prevent accidental use of the wrong gas. Like propane being left handed threads and the way you can't connect an acetylene regulator to an oxygen tank. Perhaps also due to the snap-on snap-off design being more loss-less than the old screw-on schrader type fitting that always seems to leak while attaching or disconnecting the hose.

JayArr

Sep 24, 2018
Mission BC Canada
First off, take a close look to see if it's an adpater that screws on over a schrader. In which case you can remove it without letting anything out.

Can you post a pic? My 05 had schrader valves on both low and high ports, what year is your vehicle?

I agree, the schrader valves are easier to work with, you can use a port tool to remove the valve core to make charging and vacuum far far faster. Pulling a vacuum or trying to fill a system through a valve is unnecessarily slow.

It's a pain to have to suck what's left out just to change a valve but if you have to replace the valve I'd go back to a schrader.

jsinga

Original poster
Jan 5, 2014
GA
I replaced the hi side port with the dorman part with conventional Schrader valve.
Would have changed low side, it wouldn't come out at least I know it's tight.
If it leaks out again it gets an accumulator & new orifice.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Firebaugh86

Members Online