NEED HELP AC compressor question

KEEBZ489

Original poster
Jan 16, 2018
Howard Beach NY
In the 4.2 , or any I guess.... the compressor pulley spins freely I know , but , with the belt OFF should I be able to spin the clutch on the front of the pully with my finger? Which in turn turns the pulley

Reason being driving to work today the belt shredded. Luckily I had a short Ac Bypass belt to put on and get home. All the pulleys seem okay , maybe the belt was chewed or cut. My compressor seized a while but I was able to change the bearing and Ac worked. Now with the short belt on I don’t want to chew up a new proper belt. While looking at the motor , the compressor clutch & pulley spins easily clockwise , counter clockwise it feels like it binds , or is this normal for the compression ?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
The compressor pulley itself, turning in the proper direction, should have some resistance by hand but not overly. I don't think I ever tried to turn it backwards but it's possible it may have more resistance because you're going against normal flow, maybe.

KEEBZ489

Original poster
Jan 16, 2018
Howard Beach NY
thanks. new belt on and the ac shredded a new belt at 530 am on the side of the expressway. fun this time it got stuck behind the crank pully and i couldnt get it all out. threw on the short belt again , drove to work figuring the pieces would wear away. checked and oil all over i must have ripped the seal.

• Sad
Reactions: Mooseman

zaid3ssaf

Jan 1, 2020
Midwest
Mine shredded the same way and it was only a year old. I have a slowly leaking front crank seal (or timing cover gasket) and I think it made the belt slip and get caught.

KEEBZ489

Original poster
Jan 16, 2018
Howard Beach NY
i have no idea , just know its costing me $$ this time :Banghead:

typical mechanic shop.... he says now the water pump was wobbling all over and that was the cause... but then i reminded him i think its the a/c comp , the bypass belt is fine

Mektek

May 2, 2017
FL
The water pump is a common failure. The fan and clutch assembly is very heavy and there is a lot of load on the bearings and ceramic seal. Even new ones can be poorly made and cause vibrations and premature failure. I check the shaft with a dial gauge to verify that it's correctly manufactured before installation.
If you can wiggle the fan (without the belt) and feel the shaft move - you have a bad pump. If the fan is spinning and you see anything more than the slightest "out of round" motion then it has to be replaced.
Misalignment of the AC pulley is possible, but fairly rare. The tensioner could be worn and that will cause misalignment of the idler pulley. Check to see if the belt rides in the middle of the idler pulley. That problem can be corrected by shimming under the side of the tensioner.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mooseman

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Firebaugh86

Members Online