AC Compressor clutch?

NT1078

Original poster
Mar 24, 2014
Hi all,
I think the clutch on my AC compressor has gone. It was slowly rotating, producing some cold air, then would blow the #30 fuse under the hood. Each time I replaced the fuse, it would blow. Thinking the clutch is gone. Has anyone had success in replacing the clutch only? Recommended source to buy? Is it a pain in the arse?

Thanks,
Adam

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
If it turns out to be absolutely required... Abandon any notions of using anything other than the GM OEM ACDelco or Delphi Brand A/C Compressor.

THIS is the one you want... and RockAuto has it for around $290.00 + S&H:

ROCKAUTOACDELCOACOMPRESSOR.jpg

Since it is an OEM Brand... unless you want to do all the grunt work yourself... a Legit A/C Repair Shop should agree to performing the installation using the Compressor you supply for the Price of Labor, plus the additional things needed for a complete repair:

(1) 8 Ounces of PAG Oil
(2) A freshly weighed in Charge of R-134A HFC
(3) The Reclamation Fee for the Old Freon
(4) A Brand New OEM ACDelco A/C Accumulator
(5) A New replacement Filter-Orifice Tube
(6) Serpentine Belts (Why Chance using the Old Ones?)
(7) Serpentine Belt Tensioner (the Old One may have played a part in the demise of the A/C Clutch)

But ...If you do decide to "Go Cheap" on this repair, there is a very real chance that within 5-8 weeks after this R&R, if you wound up using components that are anything less in quality than the OEM Flavor...they will Die an Ignoble Death right in the middle of the Summer Heat:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
AFAIK, individual clutch parts are not available for this compressor. Bearings maybe but not the clutch.

If you do get a new compressor, don't bother with remanufactured or rebuilt. They never last. I got a UAC brand new last year and it's been fine.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chirobo1

Members Online